• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Gunslinger Girls

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Uokel

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:34 pm Reply with quote
Did anyone else feel slightly miss guided by the title of this?
(Was brought here via twitter expecting the anime Gunslinger girls lol)
Mikeski

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:52 pm Reply with quote
Uokel wrote:
Did anyone else feel slightly miss guided by the title of this?
(Was brought here via twitter expecting the anime Gunslinger girls lol)
Nope, the Shelf Life titles are always jokes based on the shows being reviewed. I don't think, when the title is an anime, that that anime is ever one of the ones being reviewed. (Check the archives, there's quite a few named for anime series.)
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:06 pm Reply with quote
Bamboo, on Kamisama Kiss, wrote:
It's not my cup of tea, but for those for which it is, by all means, drink the whole pot.

Shoujo isn't my cup of tea either. And yet, with Kamisama Kiss, I can assure you that I did drink the whole pot (and then some). I think I even got caffeine poisoning. It's a really good show with a great heroine and I love the opening and ending credits.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:13 pm Reply with quote
Murder, She wrote:

For instance, the girls may be guns, but guess where their triggers are? Ah. Yes. To quote Seinfeld, "It rhymes with a female body part." Hint, the characters' name was Delores. So that's kind of skeevy, since the girls are probably not 18 ("but they're guns" doesn't really make it less skeevy). And having a male teacher "pulling her trigger"… alright, there are a lot of boundary issues.

But that's how ya turn them on. Laughing
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:20 pm Reply with quote
^
And pushing the hidden button is how you turn on a chobits-type persocom.
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:21 pm Reply with quote
I love how this week's Shelf Life has a special "DBZ Shelf"

LOL. Very Happy
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:26 pm Reply with quote
^
Yeah, I guess DBZ is one of those shows where by now everyone knows if they want to buy it or not. The only issue for fans is deciding which of the myriad versions to get.
Mikeski

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:29 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Bamboo, on Kamisama Kiss, wrote:
It's not my cup of tea, but for those for which it is, by all means, drink the whole pot.

Shoujo isn't my cup of tea either. And yet, with Kamisama Kiss, I can assure you that I did drink the whole pot (and then some).

I guess this will have to go in my next order, then. Shoujo is my cup of tea, even if I'm as far as possible from the real target demographic (not Japanese, not young, not female). Since this seems to be getting good reviews from all corners...
tuxedocat wrote:

Looks like that'll be another running joke here.
meiam

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:42 pm Reply with quote
Ah gunslinger gun and Upotte!

I initially dismissed GG has just "another stupid fan service show" (and a pretty sick one at that, brain washing little girl and make them into slave to "big brother"), but I eventually came around to reading it and found one of the best manga I'd ever read.

So when Upotte! came around I figured I should give it a try, you never know, right? Well sometime you do know...
configspace

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:52 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The girls spend the majority of the series (that is to say, 51+%) fully clothed, but you wouldn't guess it from the DVD or Blu-Ray cover,

except for the OVA though!

Quote:
Another downside is that at times, the series is downright ugly. This is kind of strange, because a big part of the reason this show even exists is to peddle fanservice. And yet, the character designs are just not that pretty.

I disagree. Upotte uses the same character design type in Kanokon and Ladies vs Butlers and I also find it attractive. A sort of amalgam of cute, slightly chubby and sexy.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:20 pm Reply with quote
tuxedocat wrote:

LOL. Very Happy

Agreed. Given how many versions of the show that have been released, I'd say it's a legitimate category at this point.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:46 pm Reply with quote
configspace wrote:

Quote:
Another downside is that at times, the series is downright ugly. This is kind of strange, because a big part of the reason this show even exists is to peddle fanservice. And yet, the character designs are just not that pretty.

I disagree. Upotte uses the same character design type in Kanokon and Ladies vs Butlers and I also find it attractive. A sort of amalgam of cute, slightly chubby and sexy.

Do ya guys know what Japanese consider chubby? Very Happy

"Marshmallow girls unite! Meet Chubbiness, Japan’s latest “chubby” girl idol group!"

More pics here.
normajean19

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:45 pm Reply with quote
Good review of Upotte, although I would've liked to see something about the audio tracks. I was surprised Sentai decided to dub it.

As for the show itself, I liked it even though it is far from perfect. The good (read fun) parts of the show just outweighed everything else.

Thinking about picking up this show in a store makes me think of the recent Senran Kagura: Burst commercials.
Gasero

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:55 pm Reply with quote
Considering the number of home video releases of DBZ, I think you will need a few DBZ shelves.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:43 pm Reply with quote
I wish FUNi would bother to do a DB BluRay, without the cropping or ruining of contrast and colors, but that doesn't seem to be their MO.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3