• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Gintama Film, Mardock Scramble Premiere at UK's Leeds

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brack

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:33 pm Reply with quote
Interstella 5555 isn't part of the Anime Day programme. It's playing separately on the Saturday. For free!
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:53 pm Reply with quote
I shall be attending one of the Mardock Scramble screenings, with luck. Events for which my location puts me at an advantage are rare, especially events pertaining to anime.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Umai_Mouri

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:20 pm Reply with quote
I want to see the Gintama movie on the big screen. Someone please bring it to a theater in NYC. PLEASE!*sobs*

/selfish plea
Lapin noir

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:20 pm Reply with quote
You've got bleeping Goodbye Mr. Christie in Bradford 12 November (and I strongly recommend Love & Theft in this, having experienced it just from SD video in Leeds).

And a shame this has only been posted just now, about a week into the festival: you'll have already missed TSUJI Naoyuki's Trilogy About Clouds, if you weren't one of the about seven at most people there that it had been brought from Japan for. And, to not start on a hyperbolic rant I don't have time time for and which being mere words wouldn't do it justice anyway, it's worth seeing from 16 mm, to say the least. On the strength of this alone it's put him into my top 5 filmmakers – a "top 5" that already has about 7 or 10 people squashed into it, admittedly, but you know what I mean, don't you?

And while I'd recommend you to see what you personally really want to first and foremost (as there's always a small chance that what's in the catalogue may have changed since it was printed, though it seems to be more up to date than the free brochure), it may be useful to some to point out that according to the catalogue Evangelion:2.0 is screening from standard-definition Beta tape, the Mardock Scramble from DVD but the Gin Tama and ONE PIECE films and REDLINE from HDCAM. Interstella is DV so will also be only DVD-quality but is free and not, nor any time soon likely to be, available in anything more. And also worth experiencing if you haven't and have any fondness for groovy/trippy '70s ideas of other planets and the future and/or, obviously, Daft Punk and MATSUMOTO Leiji in particular.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:46 pm Reply with quote
Ho-ly COW. Eva 2.0., Redline, AND Mardock Scramble? You con-goers are some luuuucky SOBs. Anime hyper

Cannot WAIT to see these!! And own all of the Rebuild Eva movies, now that I've finally gotten into this series.
Agent355

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:55 pm Reply with quote
Umai_Mouri wrote:
I want to see the Gintama movie on the big screen. Someone please bring it to a theater in NYC. PLEASE!*sobs*

/selfish plea

I second this notion, although I'll be just as happy if its release on Crunchyroll. In fact, I'll be happier, as it won't cost money and I'll be able to watch the movie on a computer at my own convenience!

It's been so long since we've had new animated Gintama! Come on, Crunchyroll!
Umai_Mouri

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:22 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:

It's been so long since we've had new animated Gintama!

SERIOUSLY. I'm dying.
zenzospif

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:28 pm Reply with quote
*Cough* more support for Gintama! ^^ its been way to long since we have seen anything new from them.
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:02 pm Reply with quote
I wish Gintama were considered one of the "Top Three" Shonen Jump manga in the U.S. It can take Bleach's spot! Razz

(I'm not even a One Piece fan, and I am a Bleach fan, or at least I follow the manga, but even I recognize that OP is "Top Three" material and Bleach is not.)

I think the fact that its rated "Mature" do its sometimes raunchy humor holds it back. That and the hard-to-translate puns. But it's chock full of great characters and fun storylines. Where's the fandom at?
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:13 pm Reply with quote
Lapin noir wrote:
You've got bleeping Goodbye Mr. Christie in Bradford 12 November (and I strongly recommend Love & Theft in this, having experienced it just from SD video in Leeds).

But to get to the Film Museum one needs to walk through the city centre! I don't want to be robbed!

Quote:
And while I'd recommend you to see what you personally really want to first and foremost …, it may be useful to some to point out that according to the catalogue Evangelion:2.0 is screening from standard-definition Beta tape, the Mardock Scramble from DVD but the Gin Tama and ONE PIECE films and REDLINE from HDCAM.

Your news that the Mardock Scramble screening is only in standard definition disheartens me. One almost presumes this to be an effect of the large cuts to Leeds City Council mentioned in recent news.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Umai_Mouri

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:21 pm Reply with quote
zenzospif wrote:
*Cough* more support for Gintama! ^^

WOOOT~! \o/

Agent355 wrote:
I wish Gintama were considered one of the "Top Three" Shonen Jump manga in the U.S. It can take Bleach's spot! Razz

(I'm not even a One Piece fan, and I am a Bleach fan, or at least I follow the manga, but even I recognize that OP is "Top Three" material and Bleach is not.)

Oh man, how I wish for that as well.

One Piece is brilliant and deserves the praise, but Bleach on the other hand....I don't know anymore. Gintama fits the position better. lol But I won't even lie, Bleach has a special place in my heart and nothing can take that away. =')

Agent355 wrote:
I think the fact that its rated "Mature" do its sometimes raunchy humor holds it back. That and the hard-to-translate puns. But it's chock full of great characters and fun storylines. Where's the fandom at?

I love the raunchy humor. Honestly, I find it refreshing. xD Sorachi is just as entertaining with his columns. It adds something special to the manga.

And just to be random.

I remember after the news of the anime ending Sorachi drew the following up.

Anime Gin: "I l-leave...the rest...to you...."
Manga Gin: "ANIMEEEEEEEE!!"
Sorachi: "Anime, thank you for all your hard work."

LOLLLLLL I love him.
Agent355

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:01 am Reply with quote
LOL! I love Sorachi's personal notes in the manga volumes! They're full of self depracating humor. He jokes about hating his editor, deadlines, inability to come up with new character designs and even admitted to wanting to just make a Harry Potter type manga to begin with, just because HP was popular at the time, even though he didn't know anything about the franchise! Laughing I wish other mangaka were just as honest (*cough* KenAkamatsu *cough*).

What I find most refreshing is that for a shonen manga, it has a nice lack of useless females. Kagura is my favorite character, and she's neither a damsel in distress nor fanservice bait. The same can be said of most of the Gin girls...if anything, characters like Catherine and Otose are anti-fanservice, while still being interesting and useful to the plot. The prettiest character seems to be Katsura!

The humor is out there, and can go from modern social satire to juvenile potty humor in a panel's length. Plus, the "serious arcs" are a lot of fun! What morecould you ask for in a shonen manga?
Umai_Mouri

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:02 pm Reply with quote
ROLF He doesn't put up a front. That's commendable.

Agent355 wrote:
What I find most refreshing is that for a shonen manga, it has a nice lack of useless females. Kagura is my favorite character, and she's neither a damsel in distress nor fanservice bait. The same can be said of most of the Gin girls...if anything, characters like Catherine and Otose are anti-fanservice, while still being interesting and useful to the plot. The prettiest character seems to be Katsura!

YESSS x 10000000000000
You said it perfectly.

The females are a force to be reckoned with. I adore Kagura. She blew me away in the Yoshiwara arc. And don't forget that Sa-chan is hot, but insane in the membrane. lol Zura is gorgeous. *_*
egoist

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:37 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Fanomenon Anime Day will run from noon to 11:00 p.m. at Leeds Town Hall on November 19.

Oww. I'll be working that day.
Quote:
The lineup will repeat on November 21 from 10:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. [...]

Uh, perhaps it's a nice opportunity to spend company's petrol..
Quote:
[...] with the exception of Gintama: The Movie.

Oww. Back to square 1.

Zin5ki wrote:
One almost presumes this to be an effect of the large cuts to Leeds City Council mentioned in recent news.

Nothing to be disappointed. 40% cut on road safety means Wiltshire will disable its speed traps (oops, too late). After all, we can't simply buy or import a driving license... same can't be said about those films.
Lapin noir

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 5:05 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
But to get to the Film Museum one needs to walk through the city centre! I don't want to be robbed!
Same here, if you're walking from the train station.
Zin5ki wrote:
Your news that the Mardock Scramble screening is only in standard definition disheartens me. One almost presumes this to be an effect of the large cuts to Leeds City Council mentioned in recent news.
I doubt they'ed have the money to fling about on having a subbed 35 mm feature film print made for them for just two screenings cuts or no; it's like this every year. It's just what the distributors make available. If they could they'd have got a digital cinema projector so that they wouldn't need to.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2