• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Anchor Bay Adds Live-Action Battle Royale 3D in U.S.

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JLightstar

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:09 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for someone finally getting the rights to Battle Royale but... why does it have to be in 3D? I thought 3D movies haven't really performed well except for a few titles? I really like to see it in the original 2D.
Quark

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:17 pm Reply with quote
If it comes to a theatre near here, it's definitely worth checking out, even if it is 3D. This is just one of those movies that would be so much cooler to see it in a theatre.
As for BR II...ugh...
Key

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:39 pm Reply with quote
Oh, I'm looking forward to an official release on this one, whether in theaters or straight to DVD. I've long had a bootleg copy and always wanted to have a proper copy.

Will be interesting to see what kind of talk this one might generate given the anticipated upcoming movie adaptation of the somewhat similarly-themed The Hunger Games.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:05 pm Reply with quote
I own the UK DVD already, but I would love to pay money to see this in the theatres, even if it's in that annoying 3D. I really hope the son didn't do too much to change anything, cause Battle Royale 2, the one the son directed, was a huge mess.

Granted, that's also because there is no BR2 novel to use as a source, but I don't think the original director ever wanted to do a sequel... if I remember right from the interviews on the DVD.

Still, I didn't think I'd ever see Battle Royale in the states. America is just way too defensive when it comes to heavy violence involving teens/school.
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:26 pm Reply with quote
JLightstar wrote:
Thanks for someone finally getting the rights to Battle Royale but... why does it have to be in 3D? I thought 3D movies haven't really performed well except for a few titles? I really like to see it in the original 2D.

Well dont'cha know, 3D movies are all the rage right now!! Many of the movies out today have a proper 3D experience to let you see the action in a whole new way.

Battle Royale in 3D only heightens the killing gore fest!! Watch Sawada shotgun blast fellow students!! See Mitsuko's bodyshape as she goes around coldy killing her fellow classmates.

And let's not forget the highlight of BR: Kitano doing Morning Rajio Taisō!! Watch him move his body to the instructor in GLORIOUS 3D!!!
adam_omega

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:29 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Still, I didn't think I'd ever see Battle Royale in the states. America is just way too defensive when it comes to heavy violence involving teens/school.

Defensive or not, Americans DO want to see violence involving teens killing each other. The amazing success of "The Hunger Games" trilogy of novels just proves that. And we're about to get big screen Hollywood versions of those books from Lionsgate. (Hunger Games is expected to be the next Twilight.)

Battle Royale not getting released has never been about the violence preventing it from coming to America. It's been about Toei wanting an excessive amount of money AND a theatrical run. That just wasn't ever possible until now. Hence... the 3D. It's all about money. >_>
Toriko36

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:51 pm Reply with quote
Adam_Omega, is right. It's all about the money. This movie, isn't even that well made.

If anyone is interested in the Battle Royale franchise, just do yourself a huge favor and please read the novel by Koushun Takami, even if you're not an avid reader. It truly is one of the best books I have ever read. The manga is good too, but nothing compared to the original novel. I haven't read the sequel, Blitz Royale, but I bet it's pretty good.

I saw the movie, post the novel and post the manga. Very disapointing. After this run of BR:3D, I honestly would not be the least tbit surprised if some American film company tried to buy the rights and redo the film, American style. I hope it doesn't come to that, but unfortunately with Hollywood the way it is, 80% of the time they are just re-creating old films, acquiring foreign films or remakes.
Gentry

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:38 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Oh, I'm looking forward to an official release on this one, whether in theaters or straight to DVD. I've long had a bootleg copy and always wanted to have a proper copy.

Do they not sell proper copies of the film where you live?
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:39 pm Reply with quote
I hope AB didn't over-pay for it, 'cus it's been ages since people really cared about BR. Might've been better to get it when they still talked about it.

Key: Wow, and the legit versions of the film are OOP.

Megiddo: Used to make fun of Kenta, too, but I did like his take on Sukeban Deka[Yo-Yo Cop Girl], so I'm willing to give BR 2 a shot. And Kinji was totally ready to do a sequel. It's just that he died on set, and his son had to take over for him.

adam: Actually, people have been trying to get the domestic and remake rights for BR from Toei for years, but the company would often refuse, 'cus they didn't wanna get sued.

Toriko: I'm glad you liked it, 'cus I thought it was a lazy Stephen King-wannabe, compared to the movie. And New Line already has the remake rights, so there's no chance of that.
larinon

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:22 pm Reply with quote
Gentry: If you look at the user's location beneath their avatar, they will usually list some kind of city in which they presumably reside. I know this is a significant logical leap. Supposedly Key lives in some place called Indianapolis, whatever the hell that is. Maybe it's fictional?

I'm glad the film is coming to the US. I have a copy as well, and even though it was advertised as the legit, region free, Engrish subtitled Korean version, I have my suspicions.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Penguin_Factory

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:24 pm Reply with quote
I eagerly await the day that film studios will stop putting "3D" into the title of 3D movies. Why can't we just have a discrete little box on the corner of the poster advertising the fact? Is anyone really going to watch this who wouldn't otherwise just because it's in 3D?
Ingraman

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:04 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:

I'd given up on a US disc release, and have an order with AmazonUK for the upcoming (region-free) Blu-ray release. I'm not interested in a 3D version of the first film, nor any version of the second movie, so I see no reason to care what Anchor Bay does. Even with shipping, the UK release is only going to cost about $26...

Even if I'm not presently interested in what Anchor Bay does with the films, it will at least allow a few more people to see them.
Redlinks

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:11 pm Reply with quote
Like others are saying, I'd rather see it in its original 2D form. I'd have a different opinion if the movie was originally going to be made for 3D, but it's not. Hopefully the DVD will at least include the original 2D.
Gentry

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:12 pm Reply with quote
larinon wrote:
Gentry: If you look at the user's location beneath their avatar, they will usually list some kind of city in which they presumably reside. I know this is a significant logical leap. Supposedly Key lives in some place called Indianapolis, whatever the hell that is. Maybe it's fictional.

Oh aren't you a clever dick, I was merely curious as to why he only owned a bootleg copy. I don't live in the US so I don't know if the movie was banned or not released in certain parts. If you took the time to scorch my arse with such a witty piece of logic then maybe you could have also considered not everyone lives in America. You great big bum ballon. Right so he lives in Indianapolis... what does that tell me?
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:31 pm Reply with quote
Oh. My. God.

Someone go out and see if the world is ending because I do believe hell just froze over.

I am in literal shock that we're actually going to get Battle Royale. Toei has refused to license it to North America for what, a good 10 years? I really wonder how much money it was that was offered.

I'm looking forward to getting rid of my Korean dvd for an official region 1 release, and for an accurate translation to go with it too. I've had to have bought that dvd at least 5 times over: people i loan it out too keep "forgetting" to return it to me.

Since it's 3D, are they planning any sort of limited theater release? Oh please let it be so. I'll drag a giant crowd to go see it with me. I'd love to see it on the big screen.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2