• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Staff Infection II: Outbreak!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Top Gun

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:43 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
As for Ponyo, good god was that god awful, I mean where did the charm of Miyazaki's past movies go. I mean Ponyo was obnoxious, the boy's mother was insane (quick a Tsunami is coming let's ignore all warnings and drive home), and the father of Ponyo looked like he was on drugs.

I'm not sure which Ponyo you watched, but I found it to be amazingly charming. It was certainly significantly better than Howl's Moving Castle. And the mother was a fantastic character, though being voiced by Tina Fey was a big plus. Smile
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:04 pm Reply with quote
The problem with Panty and stocking's animation is that it's using a style that needs a large budget while it's quite clearly a small budget show. I mean give it a budget of an A-list title such as the Oh My Goddess Tv series and it's a completely different series. From the shows I have seen this season I would guess that the only show with a smaller budget was Milky Holmes.

Like Zac I want this show to succeed I want to see more experimental anime because frankly my problem with recent anime isn't quality (Gurren Lagann, and FMA Brotherhood are brilliant, while theirs a ton of fun series) it's the fact that I have seen a lot of them under a different name.

Last edited by Charred Knight on Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
garfield15

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:15 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
The problem with Panty and stocking's animation is that it's using a style that needs a large budget while it's quite clearly a small budget show. I mean give it a budget of an A-list title such as the Oh My Goddess Tv series. From the shows I have seen this season I would guess that the only show with a smaller budget was Milky Holmes.

Okay, it clearly can't be that much of a small budget show because 1) it took a lot to get this show to air where it is so something had to be put into it and 2) every episode at some point has an action sequence or an animation sequence that's hardcore animation. Episodes 1b, 4a and pretty much all of 5 and 6 are proof of that.

(does anyone even know what the budget for this show is? I keep hearing "it has a small budget" or "it has a large budget" and I'm like "does anyone know?)
slipperybogle

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:17 pm Reply with quote
Didn't square-enix say that the reason they wouldn't remake FFVII was that they couldn't make towns on the PS3?

Personally, while I think a new version of the game would be cool, I'd be more interested in more character centric smaller titles like the compilation, and of course some kind of followup to advent children or last order.
Psycho_Despair

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:31 pm Reply with quote
You know, it would be awesome if they make a serious visual novel game of Death Note with different endings and getting to chose which characters you want to kill, and also playing as L would be awesome.

A deadly fighting moe game would be freaking awesome, then most people that hate moe would be beating the shit out of annoying characters!

Is GioGio's Bizarre Adventure: Golden Whirlwind, a good game to import?
braves

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:55 pm Reply with quote
garfield15 wrote:
Okay, it clearly can't be that much of a small budget show because 1) it took a lot to get this show to air where it is so something had to be put into it and 2) every episode at some point has an action sequence or an animation sequence that's hardcore animation. Episodes 1b, 4a and pretty much all of 5 and 6 are proof of that.

(does anyone even know what the budget for this show is? I keep hearing "it has a small budget" or "it has a large budget" and I'm like "does anyone know?)
Well, while nobody knows what the exact budget is, we do know the people working on it aren't a bunch of riff-raffs. Seriously, look at the key animators for the first 11 episodes: Yoshihiko Umakoshi, Yasunori Miyazawa, Akira Amemiya, Hirokazu Kojima, Ikuo Kuwana, Megumi Kouno, Takashi Mukouda, Yusuke Yoshigaki, Yoh Yoshinari, Atsushi Nishigori... I think I'll stop now. Or maybe we should look at the directors/animation directors they've had and are going to have? Ryo-timo, Nobutake Ito, Sayo Yamamoto, Osamu Kobayashi.... When I think of small budget, I think of...Togainu no Chi or something like that (first thing that came to mind since I saw...5 minutes of it yesterday). Imaishi is getting the same kind of people that he got to work on Gurren Lagann; in many cases the exact same people.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:18 pm Reply with quote
Screw you guys. The music in Bubblegum Crisis is awesome.

Charred Knight wrote:
Also Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood has been much better received than the original Fullmetal Alchemist, ANN's fans have rated it as the second highest rated anime, while MAL has rated it as the top anime by over .08 points.

I would hardly consider those the best measure of whether it was received better than the first series. Way more was made on blogs and in anime fandom of the first series. People were praising that nonstop. As far as I could tell, Brotherhood was talked about within the FMA fandom and little elsewhere.

Clannad: After Story is number one on the ANN list. When was the last time you heard or read any discussions about anything Clannad-related? Haruhi is number 34 and guess which of those shows has received more praise in general?

I question the wisdom of using stat rankings from ANN or MAL.

I don't like this dismissive-seeming attitude of Zac's towards Brotherhood, though. It is not "mostly like the first series". I mean, it is, and it's not. You'd have to watch more than a few episodes to see what I mean, but it's pretty clear.

Also, the best RPG is obviously Chrono Trigger. My favorite video game.

I've played some DBZ games, but the only one I've liked was Attack of the Saiyans.

I wish we could get some Gundam games over here that I could play on the Wii or DS.

Last edited by penguintruth on Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:09 am; edited 3 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:34 pm Reply with quote
slipperybogle wrote:
Didn't square-enix say that the reason they wouldn't remake FFVII was that they couldn't make towns on the PS3?

Personally, while I think a new version of the game would be cool, I'd be more interested in more character centric smaller titles like the compilation, and of course some kind of followup to advent children or last order.

Square Enix is insanely poorly run, they don't know how to make an HD RPG, and the fact that they released an unfinished Final Fantasy 14 shows it.
neocloud9

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:34 pm Reply with quote
Final Fantasy IX was my favorite, too. Smile
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:13 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Screw you guys. The music in Bubblegum Crisis is awesome.

Charred Knight wrote:
Also Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood has been much better received than the original Fullmetal Alchemist, ANN's fans have rated it as the second highest rated anime, while MAL has rated it as the top anime by over .08 points.

I would hardly consider those the best measure of whether it was received better than the first series. Way more was made on blogs and in anime fandom of the first series. People were praising that nonstop. As far as I could tell, Brotherhood was talked about within the FMA fandom and little elsewhere.

Clannad: After Story is number one on the ANN list. When was the last time you heard or read any discussions about anything Clannad-related? Haruhi is number 34 and guess which of those shows has received more praise in general?

I question the wisdom of using stat rankings from ANN or MAL.

Clannad and the first season of Haruhi are generally considered to be Kyoto Animation's best work. I have heard both get insane amount of praise (the second season of Haruhi not so much).

Also blog's and how much people are talking are horrible measure of quality. Remember Hellsing the tv series? Everyone watched it in the early 2000's and now it's basically remembered as the mediocre tv series that came before the much better OVA. Hell look at Bleach, everyone still reads the thing even though everyone hated the last arc.

It's not like I am saying that no one remembers the first Fullmetal Alchemist, it was really the last sustainable hit tv series to be released (as opposed to a series that is hugely popular than drops off). I am not even saying that Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood is going to have the legs of the first series, all I am saying is that from people who have watched both series Brotherhood is the one that's consistently called better.
Shenl742

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:19 am Reply with quote
Well I still liked the first series a tiny bit more...and I read a good chunk of the manga before I even saw it. I just liked the ideas and directions the first series went in. The manga/Brotherhood are great, sure. I just think the nuances in the first series fit "me" better, is one way of putting it.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:22 am Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
I am saying is that from people who have watched both series Brotherhood is the one that's consistently called better.

Outside of FMA forums and the occasional 4chan thread, I hardly ever see a preference for Brotherhood.

This is not my bias, either. As you know well, I like both shows equally.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Otaking09

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:40 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Also, the best RPG is obviously Chrono Trigger. My favorite video game.

Took the words right outta my mouth. There hasn't been a single game(well... besides maybe Sonic 2), that I haven't as much as that one.
TeenChibi

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 1:33 am Reply with quote
garfield15 wrote:

No way episode 4a was bad with Fat Stocking. That was absolutely hilarious. Though, I definitely think around 5b (which ironically was the most different of the series) the show found a very solid groove. And honestly, I like the animation. Sure if you pause, it could look bad, but it blends in the environment so perfectly that you can't even tell when stuff goes CGI or when a serious art shift is going to occur.

The toilet humor has very clearly decreased as well.

Ok, I will admit, that was funny. But that's it... Only because it was a fresh joke among very mediocre ones.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 2:17 am Reply with quote
What's even getting Oscar buzz this year? I think I set a personal record last year by actually having seen about 2/3 of the stuff nominated. This year though I'm not even sure what is in contention.

-------------------------------------------

I genuinely did not have a problem with the first 20 hours of FF13's gameplay. What I had a problem with is that it takes up like 2/3 of the game. There's not enough content left once they actually give you free reign. I would have been pretty happy to play through 20 hours of intro if it was followed by 40 hours of real gameplay. (Oh god I have no life).

Overall, that's my beef with FF13. I felt like they spent so much time on the set up and introduction that they didn't have time for the core of the game or the story. It all just hastily wraps up in a big battle that doesn't really resolve anything particularly well. I'd still say I enjoyed it overall and I appreciate that they're trying something new but it's not exactly a total success by any means.

-----------------------------------------------------

Personally I'd rate the FF games:
Good: X, VII, IX, V
Okay: XIII, X-2, VI
Bad: VIII, XII

-----------------------------------------------------

It's interesting. Now that I think about it you're absolutely right about the decline in Japanese gaming. I wonder if that's why I find myself increasingly indifferent toward gaming. Pretty much all my favourite games are either Nintendo or JRPGs or otherwise from Japan. I absolutely do not give a crap about a lot of FPS. I have no interest in Halo or Call of Duty or even Bioshock even though I do still recognize the latter two as still being fantastic games. It's just not a genre I'm into. As for other American games, I loved Gears of War and Mass Effect but both had very disappointing sequels.

The only game from the last couple years that I've truly gotten into is Uncharted 2 and there have really only been 4 or 5 others this generation and all of them were from early on. I'm not sure what the reason is exactly, if it's just me or what, but it seems like the last three years or so have been nothing but disappointment after disappointment.

-----------------------------------

The Fate/Stay Night VNs are literally the one series of VNs I might actually play.

Quote:
Remember Hellsing the tv series? Everyone watched it in the early 2000's and now it's basically remembered as the mediocre tv series that came before the much better OVA.

I realize I'm in the minority here but I still maintain that the TV series is awesome. Better than the OVAs thus far.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5