• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Hetalia Postcard Book Listed by Amazon.ca

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:10 pm Reply with quote
A postcard book? I'm mildly curious.
But dang, May 2011 for the third volume? I guess I'll be looking out for it when I go to A-Cen. Anime hyper
Jaymie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:48 pm Reply with quote
Looks like Tokyopop found a gold mine in fujoshi.
Redlinks

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:46 pm Reply with quote
Jaymie wrote:
Looks like Tokyopop found a gold mine in fujoshi.

Seems that way. :/
Faiga_Raisa

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 1:25 am Reply with quote
OH HELL NO!!!!

I think I know what they did. During their derpy "America's Greatest Otaku" travel as they went and hit up major cons, they had people draw Hetalia postcards. Some would be picked to be sent to Himaruya Hidekazu personally. I was with friends when they made theirs at Otakon.

I think they took the hundreds of leftovers and decided to publish this "Hetalia Postcard Book."

I guess the fine print lets them own everybody's work for their own gain and profit. What sleezebags.
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 1:30 am Reply with quote
Faiga_Raisa wrote:
OH HELL NO!!!!

I think I know what they did. During their derpy "America's Greatest Otaku" travel as they went and hit up major cons, they had people draw Hetalia postcards. Some would be picked to be sent to Himaruya Hidekazu personally. I was with friends when they made theirs at Otakon.

I think they took the hundreds of leftovers and decided to publish this "Hetalia Postcard Book."

I guess the fine print lets them own everybody's work for their own gain and profit. What sleezebags.
...Or this could actually be an artbook set in the style of postcards, since when people go to visit different places one of the best things to bring back as a souvenir is a postcard. o.O

I don't think the outburst and attack on Funimation, who did the whole postcard thing to Hidekaz Himaruya, was really necessary.
momomochi

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 3:58 am Reply with quote
I hope it's original artwork from the series and not from the postcard contest.......Cause I don't think anyone would really spend say 10 to 12 dollars for a book of postcard formated fanart. Even if it is very good...

So does this mean i can be sued if I sell the image from my own postcard entry at a anime con?
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 5:36 am Reply with quote
momomochi wrote:
So does this mean i can be sued if I sell the image from my own postcard entry at a anime con?

If you filled out an entry form, that fine print on said entry pretty much absolved you of any rights you had on said artwork forever. It's TOKYOPOOP's artwork now, not yours.
s.alsa-man1991

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 6:45 am Reply with quote
"Amazon.ca...what's the website for that?"

Now, seriously, I hope it's official artwork and not from the contest you people ar ementioning. That'd be cheap and would probably enrage one too many fans.
Faiga_Raisa

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 1:48 pm Reply with quote
Aura Ichadora wrote:
..Or this could actually be an artbook set in the style of postcards, since when people go to visit different places one of the best things to bring back as a souvenir is a postcard. o.O

I don't think the outburst and attack on Funimation, who did the whole postcard thing to Hidekaz Himaruya, was really necessary.

1.) Himaruya would have already released something like that in Japan if it existed. I HIGHLY doubt he'd make an artbook for an English audience and not for his original Japanese audience. In the history of manga that has happened...never.

2.) Did you even read the article? Go and read it again and get your facts straight.

I'm not attacking Funimation. They didn't do anything except dub the anime. I'm criticizing Tokyopop. *They* held the contest and *they*...."the listing shows "Tokyopop" as the author." Which means Himaruya is not the creator/artist/author. Which again, disproves your first point.
momomochi

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 5:23 pm Reply with quote
Sunday Silence wrote:
momomochi wrote:

If you filled out an entry form, that fine print on said entry pretty much absolved you of any rights you had on said artwork forever. It's TOKYOPOOP's artwork now, not yours.

I didn't sign out a entry form, but just sent it in with the paper from my own printer....But I understand. Well that sucks. Here's hoping it isn't fanart..
momomochi

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 5:24 pm Reply with quote
Sunday Silence wrote:
momomochi wrote:

I didn't sign out a entry form, but just sent it in with the paper from my own printer....But I understand. Well that sucks. Here's hoping it isn't fanart..
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:15 am Reply with quote
Faiga_Raisa wrote:
Aura Ichadora wrote:
..Or this could actually be an artbook set in the style of postcards, since when people go to visit different places one of the best things to bring back as a souvenir is a postcard. o.O

1.) Himaruya would have already released something like that in Japan if it existed. I HIGHLY doubt he'd make an artbook for an English audience and not for his original Japanese audience. In the history of manga that has happened...never.

2.) Did you even read the article? Go and read it again and get your facts straight.

I'm not attacking Funimation. They didn't do anything except dub the anime. I'm criticizing Tokyopop. *They* held the contest and *they*...."the listing shows "Tokyopop" as the author." Which means Himaruya is not the creator/artist/author. Which again, disproves your first point.
If you picked up on the word "could", that means it was a guess, a possibility, something that's unknown but may be found out later. I don't know if anything like this exists in Japan or not (yet). For all I know, this COULD be released the same day in America and Japan. Again, could.

I did read the article, I do have my facts straight, so there's no need for that sarcasm towards me.

And Funimation held the fan appreciation cards contest - it's proven by their videos and blogs - not Tokyopop. Tokyopop is in charge of the manga and this new postcard book, which we, at the moment, have no exact idea what it is. Which is why I placed out the idea that it COULD be an artbook.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1