• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Staff Infection II: Outbreak!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
poonk

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 2:44 am Reply with quote
I've always wanted to ask the fans of the girl idols:
As a female-type, I do love me some "boy"* idols (Kimura & Shingo of SMAP, Ninomiya & MatsuJun of Arashi to name a few). Frankly though, a lot of that love has more to do with their acting roles/TV appearances than their music.** Fans have a lot of access to them via dramas & films (and in the case of SMAP, a very popular weekly show). Do female idols get the same opportunities in TV & movies? I can't say I've noticed a lot of them in the dramas I've watched but then I probably wouldn't recognize them if I did see them so I don't know how accurate my perception is.

* I have to put "boy" in quotes because although I believe in using equivalent terms, a good lot of them are actually adult men. Razz
** Fangirl admission: I find many idols' musical output pretty hit & miss-- Tackey & Tsubasa are the only JE group whose albums are more "hit" than "miss" for me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
grooven

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 3:12 am Reply with quote
I like how they smash down visual novels without having read any before. I think they need to have a different kind of platform for over here. They have amazing stories and characters I hate out they all get generalized.
Ojamajo LimePie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 3:52 am Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
The sheer amount of text just fan-translated a certain visual novel is almost like fansubbing, for example, a 26-episode TV series all at once and then release it the whole thing.

It's more. It's so much more. I'm currently trying my hand at fan translating one of my favorite visual novels. The thing has over 70,000 lines (that's not counting code!) Shocked

A little piece of trivia for everyone. F/SN is longer than LotR (all three books combined.)
Buster Blader 126

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 4:24 am Reply with quote
I would immediately buy the visual novel girls or Ghibli fighting games, regardless of whether or not I own the console.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 4:30 am Reply with quote
Ojamajo LimePie wrote:
darkchibi07 wrote:
The sheer amount of text just fan-translated a certain visual novel is almost like fansubbing, for example, a 26-episode TV series all at once and then release it the whole thing.

It's more. It's so much more. I'm currently trying my hand at fan translating one of my favorite visual novels. The thing has over 70,000 lines (that's not counting code!) Shocked

A little piece of trivia for everyone. F/SN is longer than LotR (all three books combined.)

To help put that in perspective for people, your average anime episode has 300 lines, i.e. 8,000 per 26 episodes.
So that would be the equivalent of 18 cours of anime, or 234 episodes. That's about 8 months of full time work for me.

Your standard light novel is around 100,000 characters... and that takes roughly the amount of time translating 26 episodes does...
I.e. it would be equivalent to 9 light novels.

All in all, 70,000 lines is about $40,000-$50,000 worth of work.

Keep in mind that only a very few, highest-level titles have that much text. Your standard erogame has much, much, much less dialog.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 5:31 am Reply with quote
poonk wrote:
Do female idols get the same opportunities in TV & movies? I can't say I've noticed a lot of them in the dramas I've watched but then I probably wouldn't recognize them if I did see them so I don't know how accurate my perception is.

I mostly followed Japanese girlpop back in the nineties. SPEED had their own movie and some TV drama roles. PUFFY (AmiYumi) had their own variety show and some minor drama roles as well. Hikaru Nishida released CDs as well as starring in dramas.

Can't say about the current female idols.
drdr48

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 8:42 am Reply with quote
16 not 12.

And Princess and the Frog was very well received.

And Tangled is great. I saw it, and it's not a comedy, not completely.
It's a musical, and a great one by that.

And Toy Story 3 has it in the bag.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:41 pm Reply with quote
Wow, Zac, the way you, Brain, and Todd generalize some anime & game buyers just makes me feel all the more inexplainable as a buyer.

I bought the first Dirty Pair ser not because I was already a giant fan of it, but instead I was simply interested in it, even though I've never seen any form of DP before. I'm obviously not one of the 15 who will buy it because of me being uber-fans, which I'm not, so I guess I'm one of those non-existant people who buy things strictly because they interest me. I guess people who are simply interested in older anime just don't exist nowadays...

The same goes for the whole "The only people who would buy Deathsmiles are either moe fanatics or people who buy the original arcade boards". I'm not a fan of moe at all, though I have no gripe against it, and though I'm a giant fan of 2D shoot-em-ups I've never gone to the extent that was mentioned in the podcast. Once again, I'm a non-existant kind of buyer.

As for brawlers like Sengoku Basara, the Warriors series, and Fist of the North Star: Ken's Rage, I personally never really get tired of them. Maybe it's because I grew up playing games like Streets of Rage, Final Fight, and the like (and, really, they have the same or even less depth than recent brawlers), but I never get really tired of playing the "same game" over and over. Admittedly, when I was playing through Magoichi Saica's story in Basara, I did wonder when exactly her story would end; and when I finished it (in one straight play-through, minus a dinner break, no less), I was amazed to realize that I had gone through 9 stages. But, hey, it was the first characetr I had gone through, so I just had to finish it up. Now I do pace myself better, since I now know that these story modes can take time to get through.

Still, overall it was a good podcast and I'll agree that there's not enough talk about video games on this. Tood should certainly be brought back to talk more.

Also, Todd, I'm just curious if you've ever seen the 3-episode OVA based on the Gradius spin-off Salamander (a.k.a. Life Force) made back in the late-80s or the more recent (2002) all-CG Xevious movie. I personally haven't seen the Xevious movie (and all traces of the VHS and DVD releases seem to have disappeared off the face of the Earth), but the Salamander OVA is actually pretty good, even if you've never played the game before. A somewhat simple story, sure, but it was certainly still enjoyable. Plus, it has the Moai heads!
bleuster

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 4:28 pm Reply with quote
I don't believe there will ever be a "official" release of the Touhou games in the west simple because the creator, Zun, has no interest in doing so. I read an interview where he pretty much says he's fine with just the Japanese audience.

Then again, you have North American publishers and localizers (sp?) like Rockin' Android who release doujin games not only on the PC, but on the PS3's PSN as well! So, who knows. Just be out on the look out.

You guys should get the Aksys Games people on the podcast. They're an... interesting company Wink
Not to mention very knowledgeable on the types of games you mentioned on the show.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Swissman

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 2:58 am Reply with quote
Zac: "The music in Bubblegum Crisis is sooo embarrassing!"
Brian. "Oh, It drives you up a wall".

Oh my, all that though talking Laughing

I remember the days when the music in Bubblegum Crisis was generally considered to be ..... oh shock .... very good among fans and anime journalists. Songs like "Mad machine" with its polished guitar solo at the end or "Konya hurricane", clearly influenced by the songs from the movie Streets of Fire. I don't care if the songs are clearly recognizeable from the eighties, they also could be from the thirties. Good music stays good music, regardless of its age and Bubblegum Crisis has one of the best anime soundtracks from these years (I know what I'm talking about, I'm a rabid OST collector and own more than 250 soundtracks Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
zrdb

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:02 pm Reply with quote
The box set of Dirty Pair will surely please the 15 or so oldtimers stroking their beards? Oh really-sorry for being an oldtimer. I know DP tv has its share of 80's artifacts and is kind of kitschy-but guess what-I enjoy it and in the final analysis that's all that matters.
agila61

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:49 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Also, I brought it up before, but is Summer Wars even eligible? I mean it already got released on home video in Japan, after all.
Its at least one week of an LA Country theatrical run, as long as the international theatrical run was on or after 1 January 2009, and it was not following or coinciding with DVD/BD/Internet etc. or other non-theatrical release.

Also, it can't be released on video or aired on TV in the US first, and then screened in LA County: the US theatrical run has to be the first US showing.

That second part is variations of the rules that keep television movies/specials/etc. from getting a later theatrical release to qualify for the Academy Award ~ its OK if its foreign theater first then foreign television (DVD, BD, etc.), and then the first US release is in theaters in the year of or after the foreign theatrical release. Just so long as the US theatrical release, including the qualifying LA County screening, has pride of place in the US.

So from the rules:
Quote:
A picture first theatrically exhibited outside the U.S. prior to the Los Angeles County qualifying run shall be eligible for submission provided the prior exhibition takes place in a commercial motion picture theater after January 1, 2009, with the following further conditions:

1. the film may not be exhibited publicly in any nontheatrical form for a 90-day period following the commencement of its initial theatrical engagement, and
2. after the 90-day period, the film may play in nontheatrical forms provided they are outside the U.S. (No film that is shown inside the U.S. in any nontheatrical form prior to its Los Angeles County qualifying run shall be eligible for Academy Awards.)

Edit: added why 'nontheatrical form' is really in the rules.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 7:23 pm Reply with quote
zrdb wrote:
The box set of Dirty Pair will surely please the 15 or so oldtimers stroking their beards? Oh really-sorry for being an oldtimer. I know DP tv has its share of 80's artifacts and is kind of kitschy-but guess what-I enjoy it and in the final analysis that's all that matters.

Like I said, according to Zac and Brian the idea of an anime buyer who just likes to watch older anime doesn't exist.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:44 pm Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:
zrdb wrote:

Like I said, according to Zac and Brian the idea of an anime buyer who just likes to watch older anime doesn't exist.

Yeah OK there are some newer fans who like the older stuff but claiming that the generalization that mostly older fans gravitate toward the stuff from the 80s and that older shows have a smaller audience and don't sell as well as newer shows is somehow INCORRECT because you exist is stupid.

You're part of a small minority not represented by the generalization we were making.

Swissman wrote:
regardless of its age and Bubblegum Crisis has one of the best anime soundtracks from these years (I know what I'm talking about, I'm a rabid OST collector and own more than 250 soundtracks Wink

Boy you'd think taste in music was subjective but I guess it isn't!

Last edited by Zac on Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:47 pm; edited 2 times in total
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:45 pm Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:
zrdb wrote:

I...I don't exist? For 20 years I believed I had existed, but are you telling me that I've been wrong all this time? I mean, I have questioned as whether I, or anyone for that matter, really "existed", but that was just for shits and giggles; I never once would've imagined I was actually on to something or even correct. I feel as though I should tell someone, but since I don't exist, do they? What about the couch I'm sitting or the computer I'm using?

Oh God. Is this Human Instrumentality? Has SEELE won? WAS I EATEN BY REI AYANAMI!?

DAMN YOU GENDO!
DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMN YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOU!!!!!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5