• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Necroposting.

Goto page   Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:06 pm Reply with quote
First of all, what is it? (it's not listed on the Lexicon Page) Second of all, what are the rules? (I can't find any reference to it at all in "Teh Rules") The moderators have been contradictory about this, with one saying, "Just dig up a past thread, if you want" (or words to that effect) and another issuing a flat-out prohibition.

I respectfully posit that some consistency is in order here.

EDIT:
The following rules are based upon what Key and Tony K. have written, as well as with input from the users of this site.

"Necroposting is the act of resurrecting very old threads instead of creating a new one."
--egoist
  1. In the Talkback forum time-sensitive topics have at least 2 months of shelf life before timing out.*
    • Please note that reviews (and all other editorial content) ARE NOT time sensitive, and thus are exempt from the above sentence -- THEY NEVER TIME OUT.
  2. With the exception of the talkback forum, a thread has at least 12 months of shelf life.**
    Key wrote:
    [...]
    Beyond those cases, I'll generally count it as necroposting once a year has passed unless the new posts have strong and still-relevant content.

A good rule of thumb is that if you're taking an older topic in a new direction with your new post, you're probably better off starting a new topic. If you're responding to earlier comments, you shouldn't bother if it's more than 3-4 months old unless you're providing information on a never-answered question.
mdo7 wrote:
[...]
So if you want to revive a old thread without violating the necropost rule, you'll have to create a new thread and when you do create a new thread regarding that old thread you want to revive, link the old thread you're talking about on to the new thread you're making, that way other ANN forumites know this is a thread revival hence you're not violating the necropost rule.

Here's another reason that necroposting is not allowed:
st_owly wrote:
[I]f you necrobump an old thread, there's a very high likelihood that most of the people who posted in it haven't visited the forum for years, so it's pointless replying to them.

*This refers to the last post of a news/interest thread; If >2 months have elapsed since the last posting, then that thread has timed out.

**This refers to the last post of such threads; If >12 months have elapsed since the last posting, then that thread has timed out. Please be advised, however, that that this rule is not uniformly applied -- specifically, those forums that don't have much traffic are exempt from this rule.

Last edited by nobahn on Sat Aug 29, 2015 2:25 pm; edited 3 times in total
egoist

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:24 pm Reply with quote
Necroposting is the act of resurrecting very old threads instead of creating a new one.

I go by the one year rule in the anime section (which is limitless for threads linked here). Sometimes I stretch it a bit.
That rule is reduced to 3 months in the Talkback section.
Of course, that's my own rule. I play by my own rules, nobody else's, not even my own.

There are a few benefits in creating new ones.

Nothing accumulated to be read (which results in more posters).
No replying to someone who wrote something 5 years ago.
Recent perspective, not something years and years old (not always, but generally better).
You get to be the author. Which means everyone will have to remove their dirty shoes before stepping in!
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:47 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
No replying to someone who wrote something 5 years ago.

That's generally what happens the most. People come on here have next to nothing of a post history then just revive a 4+ year term of silence just to say something insignificant like: "yeah, I agree!" or "anyone else a fan of it?" Chances are, if no one's replied in over a year, no one cares anymore. So I lock it, then move it to the trash forum.

egoist wrote:
Recent perspective, not something years and years old (not always, but generally better).

Another good reason. Times change, and so do perspectives. If a guy replies to a comment made when there's obviously more factors or references that can come into play (such as the advancement of technology in comparison to the level back then or whatever), it would make no sense to argue about it from a more updated perspective. It's like saying Berserk sucks because Claymore is newer.

But no, necroposting isn't an "official" rule or anything. It's just an understanding of present day sensibilities and a little common sense.
poilk92

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:39 am Reply with quote
But it seems like whenever someone creates a thread about a specific anime they are always told to just use one of the old threads instead of making a new one
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:55 am Reply with quote
poilk92 wrote:
But it seems like whenever someone creates a thread about a specific anime they are always told to just use one of the old threads instead of making a new one

Thank you. That's what I was referring to when I requested some consistency. Neutral
egoist

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:07 am Reply with quote
You mean that Working!! thread?

The opener made it clear he didn't know about the existing thread. Key came along, and pointed it out to him.
A thread about a series that just started 6 months ago isn't old... it's just, an existing one.
vashna

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:44 am Reply with quote
So should I feel safe, outside of the talkback forum, with using threads that are six months to one year old? I've always looked for a hard and fast rule on this, to avoid getting in trouble.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 5:47 pm Reply with quote
I've always believed that in the case of official talkback threads the original thread should be revived in most cases, right? Unless it's really old. Otherwise you have situations like a couple dozen different threads on long continuing shows or only recently ended pop shows like Gintama or Bleach. In a case of a smaller show like Working! the advantage of reviving an old thread is the old thread's ability to inform the person of what has been discussed before, not to kill conversation but as a way to springboard new discussion.

I think exceptions are made when a more specific aspect of a show can warrant a discussion on it's own, such as somewhat recent threads focused on Light Yagumi and Shinji Ikari instead of reviving largely exhausted and old talkback threads.

If they didn't want us to use the old threads I don't think that they'd bother making the Series Discussion Index a stickied section.
...although it doesn't seem to be kept up very well these days. I sent a PM recommending a couple threads to be added a few months back, they never were added and I see that none of the shows from this season or last were ever added to the index.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:23 pm Reply with quote
vashna wrote:
So should I feel safe, outside of the talkback forum, with using threads that are six months to one year old?

Sure.
Key

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:25 pm Reply with quote
My general standards on necroposting are as follows:

1) If it's a dedicated series thread (whether anime or manga), the thread never times out. Posters wishing to comment on a series (whether new or old) should always check to see if a dedicated series thread exists, beginning with the Series Discussion Index.

2) If it's a time-sensitive topic (as most Talback topics are), it has a few months at most.

3) Beyond those cases, I'll generally count it as necroposting once a year has passed unless the new posts have strong and still-relevant content.

A good rule of thumb is that if you're taking an older topic in a new direction with your new post, you're probably better off starting a new topic. If you're responding to earlier comments, you shouldn't bother if it's more than 3-4 months old unless you're providing information on a never-answered question.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
John Casey

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 2:59 pm Reply with quote
Huh... Thanks for the clarification guys. Sometimes, I found myself "accidentally" (read: didn't bother to check the last post date) necroposting, then freaking out and quickly deleting the post. Never really went past like...over a month though.

But regarding the Talkback thing, I've seen once or twice a necropost that wasn't exactly a waste of space. You guys slide those under the radar, or is it brick n' mortar?
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 7:09 pm Reply with quote
I personally avoid the Talkback forum most of the time -- too much bickering, one-lining, and anarchist stupidity ranters. The threads I usually run into, though, never really have much substance in the necropost. It's like, 3 years later and someone's asking "when will we get more?" or "hey, don't forget this irrelevant factoid that doesn't really matter anymore!" But yeah, I just shut 'em down when I see 'em.
vashna

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:17 pm Reply with quote
Yes, I very much don't like bickering to tell you the truth. I wish everyone could get along a bit better.

Should this thread be stickied as a bit of a good-natured guide or not? I think it might help people out.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:28 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, that actually sounds like a plan. If anyone necroposts now, we can just link them to this thread.
Aoi_Sakaraba

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:05 pm Reply with quote
There were a few times when I made a thread, and actually searched for an existing one, never saw one, so I continued with my new thread, and I was told off for not using "the old one".
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 11