• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Great Teacher Onizuka submitting...again.

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kyoshiro80

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2003 8:41 pm Reply with quote
Well, having watched the final episode of GTO, and just *somehow* accidentally bumbing to ANN webpages, I thought Idea about filling in the empty 'Genre' - spot at the encyclopedia. BUT...

Now, when I have seen the whole series, comedy IS an important part of the series. There's much more, but nothing that would actually fit completely in any of the remaining genres...SO:

In what genres of the list would GTO fit in besides comedy?

And please, write some reasons to back up your answers!
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2003 11:01 am Reply with quote
Justin Riker wrote:
Well, having watched the final episode of GTO, and just *somehow* accidentally bumbing to ANN webpages, I thought Idea about filling in the empty 'Genre' - spot at the encyclopedia. BUT...

Now, when I have seen the whole series, comedy IS an important part of the series. There's much more, but nothing that would actually fit completely in any of the remaining genres...SO:

In what genres of the list would GTO fit in besides comedy?

And please, write some reasons to back up your answers!

Genre refers essentially to the overiding genres of the series in its entirety.

While GTO does have the occasional drama, and often has action scenes, as a series it is only a comedy.

A bit like the Cosby Show, it's a sit-com. Even though there were occasional episodes that were serious Drama, the seires itself would never be called "Drama."
Kyoshiro80

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2003 12:25 pm Reply with quote
Yeah....now that I think of it.....well, I added 'Comedy' there...you're right. It actually doesn't need anything else there....thanks again!

P.S. But what a comedy!
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2003 1:31 am Reply with quote
It's a bit like Excel Saga. I think we could actually add *every* genre for that anime. But even when those genres are present, they are viewed through the lens of parody. So ultimately it can only be described as comedy.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1