• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Do NOT ask for Downloads! [Or Illegal Streaming Video Links]

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 12:36 am Reply with quote
GrinfilledCelt wrote:
ikillchicken wrote:
GrinfilledCelt wrote:
Thank you for illustrating my point for me, dtm42, even though you totally missed it. Also, thank you for the link which you will notice doesn't appear anywhere else in this thread, which is exactly what I was talking about.

I think dtm42's point is: Why does it matter that nobody provided a link? It's really easy to find on your own. If you're really that worried that they're making this up or something (seriously?) then just wiki 'Berne Convention'. It takes all of a few seconds. It's not 'research'.
It does matter that no one provided a link and how much time it takes to find it has nothing to do with it. If your going to claim an authoritative source for something, link to it. I've got better things to do than to than to go looking for sources to back up your assertions. If you don't I'm just going to assume that you are blowing hot air and stop paying you any attention. You'll find that it works that way pretty much everywhere on the net.

The Berne Convention is a central point for this whole thread so a link most certainly should have been provided.

You'll find that this works the same way pretty much anywhere on the net, as well. Triple_Dude provided a citation of the law; are you saying you believe he was making all that up just because he didn't post a link? Sure, you can ASSume whatever you want, but it'll only make you look ignorant the next time the matter comes up. And you're missing the point of the thread -- it's not to debate international copyright law, it's to remind users that asking for those links is not allowed on ANN.

Besides, you asked for a link and you got one, so what are you still complaining about?
GrinfilledCelt

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 1:11 am Reply with quote
If you guys want to be obtuse and nit-pick me on everything except for the point I was making, then fine. Be that way.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 5:54 am Reply with quote
GrinfilledCelt wrote:
If you guys want to be obtuse and nit-pick me on everything except for the point I was making, then fine. Be that way.

Okay okay. Sorry. It is awfully annoying when people nitpick. It's like, don't these people have anything better to do than pick out one random little unimportant thing from a thread and make a bit stink about it?

I remember this one thread, (you'd appreciate this as a fellow nitpick hater) where this guy made a huge deal just because of one little thing somebody didn't bother to post. It was so silly. Sorry but I don't have a link to that thread so I'll understand if you don't believe me. It was on ANN though so you could probably find it. It wouldn't even take long, like maybe 1 to 2 seconds, maybe even less. It was a thread about not asking for illegal downloads. That guy was the biggest nitpicker I've ever seen.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 9:41 am Reply with quote
I'm breathing air right now. If you don't know what that is, go wiki it. I'm not going to provide a link to it, see if you can figure out why*.

* If you give up, it's a thing called common knowledge. You can assume people know what you are talking about and if they don't, they can easily find out for themselves. It doesn't even take any effort - in my browser, and probably your's too, I can highlight a word, right click and get a google search up in seconds. I could just link every word and phrase I say to a page on wikipedia or wiktionary but wouldn't that be annoying? Wouldn't that seem patronizing?Wouldn't that be a waste of my time?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
MrBeefy486

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:30 pm Reply with quote
Yeah seems like a dumb way to abuse a forum and say "hey look at me, I'm doing something illegal!"
SecretAgent94

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 7:00 pm Reply with quote
I mean this is a hard issue. Is it illegal? Yeah. Realistically would anyone on this forum likely get caught? Probably not.

I mean I won't break this rule because I have my...sources to get my anime.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 7:16 pm Reply with quote
SecretAgent94 wrote:
I mean this is a hard issue. Is it illegal? Yeah. Realistically would anyone on this forum likely get caught? Probably not.

I mean I won't break this rule because I have my...sources to get my anime.

I don't think that you understand the purpose of this rule; one of the reasons (but, of course, not the only reason) is to prevent the dissemination of illegal download information on the A.N.N. forums. A.N.N. does not concern itself with actions that occur off of its website (which, if I'm not mistaken, is what you are construing the title of this announcement to mean; if I'm mistaken, then I apologize).
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:34 am Reply with quote
Are we allowed to ask for downloads of just Openings and Closings? For example, I'd like to have an HD version of just the Angel Beats OP. Not the show, not certain episodes, just a good, crisp version of the OP that's better than what Youtube offers. People (including myself) link to OPs and EDs on Youtube all the time and no one gets in trouble. Obviously, if allowed, they should be asked in the General Questions thread instead of opening a new one, so there shouldn't be a problem of people making hundreds of threads listing off requests for OP and ED downloads.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zalis116

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:05 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
Are we allowed to ask for downloads of just Openings and Closings? For example, I'd like to have an HD version of just the Angel Beats OP. Not the show, not certain episodes, just a good, crisp version of the OP that's better than what Youtube offers. People (including myself) link to OPs and EDs on Youtube all the time and no one gets in trouble. Obviously, if allowed, they should be asked in the General Questions thread instead of opening a new one, so there shouldn't be a problem of people making hundreds of threads listing off requests for OP and ED downloads.
Chances are you can find the clean OP/EDs in the same/similar places you'd find the actual episodes to download. Which makes linking those downloads on ANN both problematic and unnecessary.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:43 pm Reply with quote
@Zalis116 & The King of Harts:

There are programs/websites that can download streaming video; but I've never provided their names/urls nor linked to them because I'm not certain if that would violate a rule or not.....
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:58 pm Reply with quote
nbahn wrote:
@Zalis116 & The King of Harts:

There are programs/websites that can download streaming video; but I've never provided their names/urls nor linked to them because I'm not certain if that would violate a rule or not.....

I'm aware of that, but the fact that people on Youtube can get away with calling some of those videos "720p" is criminal. I'd prefer a clean opening straight from the actual DVD or blu-ray.

Zalis116 wrote:
Chances are you can find the clean OP/EDs in the same/similar places you'd find the actual episodes to download. Which makes linking those downloads on ANN both problematic and unnecessary.

Well, how about direct download links? Like, a straight link to the megaupload page. That way all the other links that lead to actual episodes aren't seen, so sources aren't revealed (except for fansubber names since they put them in the front of the link). I'd link to an example, but I'm pretty sure you know what I'm talking about.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
asami0414

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:35 am Reply with quote
I find it amusing that a topic whose message was, strictly speaking, stop showing your incompetence in looking things up on the net and asking where to download/watch anime on ANN ---- now has 12 pages of comments.

It could be my ignorance at the complex underworkings of such a topic, but surely -- there isn't much to be said except "Stop showing your incompetence in looking things up on the net and asking where to download/watch anime on ANN"... right?
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:46 pm Reply with quote
Welcome to reality, where some people just can't get a clue Confused. Multiply that incompetence by 50 and you'll know what it's like being a moderator around here.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:35 pm Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
Multiply that incompetence by 50 and you'll know what it's like being a moderator around here.

I didn't know there were 50 of you! :p

Seriously, I gave up on Yahoo Answers since 99% of the anime-related questions started "where can I watch/download.."
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
asami0414

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:19 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:

Seriously, I gave up on Yahoo Answers since 99% of the anime-related questions started "where can I watch/download.."

Really? I always thought 99% of anime-related questions was "does/when/do you think _______ should get together with _________ because they look so totally cute together! *heart!!*"

*Facepalm*.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 12 of 13