• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Radio City Rockets

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thunderbird-

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:53 pm Reply with quote
While you may find the Oh! Edo Rocket trailer annoying. I consider it to be the best anime trailer that Funimation has ever made.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Keyl

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:15 pm Reply with quote
Erin wrote:
I got Decode:02 in the mail as well, but I can't imagine what else could happen after this.

Would it help if i said Decode:02 is about three times as good as Decode. Might be more but i haven't seen it in awhile, i have it here but i'm to lazy to watch it again though i should.
Dimlos

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:16 pm Reply with quote
Ugh, it's really too bad about the 20th Century Boys films. I thought the first film was decent enough, but they just got progressively worse with each one. The best I can say for it is at least it wasn't loaded with pop stars that can't act, like a lot of Japanese productions tend to be (less so with their films, but still).
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:37 pm Reply with quote
I really have to disagree about the 20th Century Boys movies. The direction was amateur and some of the subtlety through subplots were removed, sure, but the storytelling and most of the acting was pretty good, and the final movie had a better conclusion to the story than even the manga, which is my favorite manga of all time.

Also, Friend's identity is essentially the same in the movies as it is in the manga, but with a different twist. But if you're reading the manga, you really shouldn't watch the movies until you've finished. It's Viz's fault for taking so long to release all of the manga, not the movies' fault.

I think they're excellent adaptations of the manga, if not perfect. The manga is better, to be sure, but the movies are very satisfying, especially the final one. It was the second that was the weakest. The third one is where everything pays off.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:09 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Don't miss Edo Rocket, especially if you're looking for something new and different to watch.

Your feelings pretty much reflected my own when I checked this series out, and it remains enjoyable or even more so during its second half. More Anime fans really should check this out!

Quote:
I love the 20th Century Boys manga, but the movies leave a lot to be desired. Since I'd seen the first two, I felt like I had to watch the third one. Maybe that was a mistake. (After Attack of the Clones, why did I bother to watch Revenge of the Sith? It's that sickening feeling like, “I'm so full, but there's only one donut left in this box, I guess I'll eat-BIG MISTAKE.”)

You really hate the Star Wars prequels, don't you? Enough so you see every chance you get to bash them in this column. Speaking solely for myself, it gets really tiring to read after a while. Nonetheless, I understand some of the negativity toward the 20th Century Boys movies, although I still enjoyed them surprisingly enough. I was somewhat put off by the first movie, but then I watched it a second time and liked it a little better, so I stuck with it through the next two films. They're undeniably corny in a lot of ways for reasons said before, but at the same time equally entertaining and the story had me hooked all the way to the end, and the 15-minute epilogue really felt like a sweet payoff after everything. As for the bad acting--I could be wrong, but was the acting meant to reflect the character-acting in the manga (never read it)? That's my guess watching it, because how could anyone not notice how over-the-top the acting is as they shoot it and just think audiences will accept it?

Last edited by pachy_boy on Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Otaking09

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:10 pm Reply with quote
Ah... more praise of Oh! Edo Rocket's greatness.

That series, in addition to Casshern Sins, rank among the best series I've seen this year.

Just wait 'til you see the 2nd half! It might not be what you expect...

I was expecting a little too much from Birdy. I mean, none of it is due to Birdy's character, but it is due to how she is trapped in such a pathetic story...
Of course, that's what makes the 2nd season much, much better.

Nice Shelf Life this week!
LeanGreen

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:20 pm Reply with quote
I've also heard that Birdy the Mighty Decode 02 was enormously better than the first half; but I've also heard it gets a lot more serious, and from what I've read in your previous columns you're not always a fan of that route. As a fan of the first season, I'll be interested in hearing what you think of the second.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:26 pm Reply with quote
Well, I just added Birdy to my Netflix list, but they've been getting very slow about adding new anime, so who knows when I'll get to watch it.
sepherest

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:27 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I was grossly mislead by Funimation's annoying trailer

I don't know what the heck is up with them and trailers, but the one they did for the upcoming release of Seikirei made me cringe. Glad to see Oh! Edo was another show that was mislead by it's trailer, and not actually bad.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:28 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
It's Viz's fault for taking so long to release all of the manga, not the movies' fault.

A volume every two months is Viz's fastest release schedule, not counting their Naruto/One Piece marathon, so I'm not too upset. If you meant too long in licensing it, well licensing is a tricky process so I try not to criticize there.

Once I've bought/read all the manga, I'll definitely pick up the movies. Oh Edo Rocket I'll definitely get eventually as well.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:30 pm Reply with quote
Sepherest wrote:
Quote:
I was grossly mislead by Funimation's annoying trailer

I don't know what the heck is up with them and trailers, but the one they did for the upcoming release of Seikirei made me cringe. Glad to see Oh! Edo was another show that was mislead by it's trailer, and not actually bad.

One of the nice things about so many shows being available for streaming is that now we don't have to rely on trailers so much anymore.
nechronius

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:47 pm Reply with quote
Am I completely off my nut or is this column missing 3 rental shelf reviews?
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:59 pm Reply with quote
nechronius wrote:

Your not, I'm not sure what happened.

Anyways, Oh Edo Rocket is on my buy list, I'm just going to wait for the full set to come out before I get it. I watched the free episode On Demand a few weeks ago and though I t was quite funny.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:01 pm Reply with quote
doctordoom85 wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
It's Viz's fault for taking so long to release all of the manga, not the movies' fault.

A volume every two months is Viz's fastest release schedule, not counting their Naruto/One Piece marathon, so I'm not too upset. If you meant too long in licensing it, well licensing is a tricky process so I try not to criticize there.

Urasawa actually asked them to delay release of 20th Century Boys until after Monster finished its release. So it's not Viz's fault for the late release of the manga.

I don't know why they released the movies now, though. Wouldn't it make sense to, I dunno, stagger them? Movie 1 after volume 7, movie 2 after volume 15, and movie 3 at the end?

Anyway, as someone who read the manga first in fan translations and is eagerly buying up every volume, it's pretty clear in the manga that the pages of the New Prophecy didn't so much "turn up" as "were written by Friend because he'd run out of prophecies to fulfill." It's also implied that their lameness is due entirely to this fact, that they're the product of a deluded mind rather than the imaginations of a group of friends. Friend always has to one-up himself to maintain his power, since it's entirely based on his role as a bogus savior.

I want to see the movies even if they are terrible. I love the manga enough that no bad adaptation will ruin it for me, and if it really is a debacle, I want to know what went wrong (IMnsHO). That, and I've heard mixed things on it; some reviewers seem to actually like them.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:04 pm Reply with quote
nechronius wrote:

I didn't even notice that since I was too focused on the review of Birdy since I've been very curious about that show. Talk about tunnel vision.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3