• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll Channel Added to Roku Streaming Device

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrHatandClogs

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:31 am Reply with quote
This is cool, but when are they gonna drop a ps3 app? Come on CR, you would make a lot of people happy and not have to spend any extra money if you would just release apps for the game consoles. Idk the specific of the licensing issues or what not, but pleeeeaaaasssseee!!!

Urahara Out!!
Asrialys

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 2:08 am Reply with quote
Get on the Wii!
J. Kudo

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 2:21 am Reply with quote
Whoo-hoo, now I can spend my entire Christmas break watching Natsu no Arashi! on my big screen TV. Anime catgrin
HockeyKamen

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 7:20 pm Reply with quote
MrHatandClogs wrote:
This is cool, but when are they gonna drop a ps3 app? Come on CR, you would make a lot of people happy and not have to spend any extra money if you would just release apps for the game consoles. Idk the specific of the licensing issues or what not, but pleeeeaaaasssseee!!!
I second the request. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
jsc315

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:26 pm Reply with quote
Asrialys wrote:
Get on the Wii!

Sorry to say this but the Wii is very under powered and i really think the 360 and PS3 are a much better for streaming video then the Wii. If it does come it will not be doing HD at all.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
agila61

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:44 pm Reply with quote
MrHatandClogs wrote:

Urahara Out!!
From the forums, it seems they are looking at it, but Android is the next app that is going to be coming out, sometime in the next month for the alpha release.
Mike Toole
Subscriber
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 7:41 am Reply with quote
HockeyKamen wrote:
I second the request. :)

Thirded. I now watch all my weekend European soccer on ESPN's Xbox 360 app, and it's a game-changer - really smooth interface, and high quality too. If CR was on Xbox Live, a membership would be a no-brainer.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime
WeirDiE_InC

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 3:49 pm Reply with quote
jsc315 wrote:
Asrialys wrote:
Get on the Wii!

Sorry to say this but the Wii is very under powered and i really think the 360 and PS3 are a much better for streaming video then the Wii. If it does come it will not be doing HD at all.

If Netflix can look decent on the Wii, then something animated shouldn't look bad on it despite what definition it is.
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 6:45 pm Reply with quote
WeirDiE_InC wrote:
jsc315 wrote:
Asrialys wrote:
Get on the Wii!

If Netflix can look decent on the Wii, then something animated shouldn't look bad on it despite what definition it is.

Netflix also had a lot more resources to throw at the problem. They also have the advantage of a system that can dynamically scale the bitrate (and likely the resolution) for the device and connection in use. Crunchyroll does not have the advantage of that infrastructure.

A while back a message was posted in the CR forum with a list of what devices they were working on apps for. I don't recall the Wii being among them.
agila61

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:01 pm Reply with quote
TheAncientOne wrote:
A while back a message was posted in the CR forum with a list of what devices they were working on apps for. I don't recall the Wii being among them.

Found the list:
Quote:
... currently provide ... or are thinking about providing access through are the following:
Adobe Flash (duh)
iOS (released)
Android OS app (planning) {now supposedly w/in a month of alpha}
Boxee (released)
Roku (planning) {now released}
Blu-ray players (planning)
Xbox 360 (planning)
PS3 (planning)
Vizio Internet Apps (released)
Samsung Internet@TV (planning)
DLNA Compliant devices (planning)
Yup, no Wii.

TAO's rationale seems plausible.
Saturn

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:41 pm Reply with quote
I have no Roku, but if they get it on Xbox I might have to spring for a live membership... I'd still prefer it on Wii though, it would feel like such a waste of money to pay for a service to use the internet, just so that I can watch anime on a pay service... :\
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:48 pm Reply with quote
I can't wait until CR comes to Xbox live. I had a CR account but I canceled it since I can barely stream anything to my laptop in my room.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
crunchycat
I do Marketing for Anime Companies

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:32 pm Reply with quote
hmm I dunno but if CR teamed up with lets say NetFlix we could have an ease of access which would be kind of cool, the ability to watch from my TV or system would be a nice change
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1