• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast Holiday Special II Part One

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dewlwieldthedarpachief

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:38 pm Reply with quote
Yuki_Kun45 wrote:
Millennium Actress is a terrible film. Poorly written, poorly directed, poorly edited. Only good thing was the music. If it came from any other director other than Kon, the movie would have been panned horribly.

If you can't be bothered to outline some examples, I am inclined to believe you simply have none,
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:03 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
penguintruth wrote:

It's not like that was the only thing I disagreed with you on in my post. I just threw that in there as a "And jaywalking!" Razz

(Also, the guy in the eyecatch totally says it right if you listen carefully.)

Yeah, but that was the only part I bothered to read! ZING

You know you read the whole thing. My brilliant ranting is irresistible!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
grooven

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:10 pm Reply with quote
I'm surprised you could make a top ten over all. I would have to do by genre because I can't narrow them down like that.

How do we send in out our lists? Does it have to be Twitter? Or even get on the show/ get question on the show.

I remember Hikaru no Go Anime hyper My friend loved that show. Never finsihed that show but loved the songs.

Zac and Justin need to see one KEY anime version before they make a judgment call. I know Justin gave up on Kanon before anything happened. Wish I could do a switch where I watch one show they recommend all the way through then one I recommend and then they do the same ^-^

dewlwieldthedarpachief wrote:
@egoist: Whatever Clannad had going for it died at the end of After Story. RIP possibility of a respectable KEY show. Crying or Very sad
Sure there you keep telling yourself that, KEY show yeah... >.>

Worst movies I have quite a few The Happening, Alice in Wonder Land, Ella Enchanted to name a few.

Oh dear god Anime hyper Zac talking about Alice in Wonderland made my day!I couldn't stop laughing Anime hyper I totally agreed and no one I knew agreed!

LMAO Transformers 2 oh yeah!!! That was sooo bad >.>
starvtwalker

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:38 pm Reply with quote
So I just finished the anime half and will watch the second half as soon as I finish this post.

First of all, I love the board love that Mushishi is getting. I too was surprised it was not on any one's top ten list. Definitely a show I keep on coming back to when I want a few quiet moments. The character designs are somewhat lacking since eventually everyone starts looking the same, but the depth of the story just goes so much beyond that that it does not matter.

Ghost in the Shell I found a somewhat surprising choice. I saw the movie and enjoyed it, but the TV series I thought was miles and miles better than the movie. The series just went to a philosophical level higher than the movie. The movie was nice, in a quaint sort of "oh look you took an intro to philosophy class" sort of way. But the TV series felt like it had done its homework and it was well prepared not only to delve in to the philosophy, but also to what a futuristic world of cyborgs and an upgraded internet would look like. The TV series is one of the shows I think of when I ask myself what the future of the internet might look like.

The other one I found surprising was Hikaru no Go, not so much because the story is lacking, but because the anime was so terrible. I read the manga first, so maybe my bias lies in that, but I felt like it was such a poor translation of the manga. The art in the manga is gorgeous and fluid, and especially the later emotional scenes are just so intensely drawn. I saw all of the anime just because I loved the manga so much and I was astounded at how ugly it looked. The fluidity was lacking, the diversity and realism in the art just felt cartoony, a lot of the magic was gone for me. I could not get myself to care about the same story I had read while watching it as a manga. I still think the manga story is one of the best mangas and stories in general that I have read, but man the anime is so lacking. I still cannot believe that so many people actually enjoy that anime when the manga is so unbelievably better.

As for the ending of the manga, I actually liked the extra part more rather than the ending of anime. It does feel like somewhat of an epilogue, but I thought it gave good time to showing a more mature Hikaru, a Hikaru after that event that changes him. There is little time spent in the original ending to show how he has changed, but I felt like the manga portrayed just how deeply he has suffered and grown as a person just by adding those few chapters afterwards. And the second ending feels totally complete as well, and not just as an add-on.

The rest of the choices I felt were understandable. Of course, mine might be different (Escaflowne? really? to each their own but I was sorely unimpressed) but I cannot really begrudge a person's personal favorites. I really was just surprised by the lack of Mushishi and the other two great stories but, in my opinion, worse versions.

Anyway, great podcast. I don't always listen to these, but I enjoy them when I do.
dewlwieldthedarpachief

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:50 pm Reply with quote
@grooven: guffaws aside, After Story really played with some thematic fire. I was expecting some episodic shenanigans, but was pleasantly surprised with the direction things went. Despite that the ending is a return to the same kind of pandering one can expect of Key, there is some serious potential if they were willing to explore something like that again and commit to it. Too often it seems, we only see glimpses of greatness in anime Confused .
starvtwalker

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:35 am Reply with quote
Alright, so I finished the second half. So I have not seen half of the movies mentioned, but the other half for the most part I did not think were that bad. I must be one of the only people out there, but I enjoyed Battlefield Earth and I did not hate Gigli. Gigli was bad, but it was not utterly horrendous. Battlefield Earth meanwhile was stupid, but somewhat fun. The ridiculousness of the performances also made it just somewhat enjoyable, I don't know. But whatever, I can understand why people hate them, I just happen to not.

On the other hand, there is one movie that I feel the same way about that Zac feels about The Love Guru, and that movie is Pumpkin (2002). Everything about this movie just made me so angry. I got that it was a satire and a black comedy, and I could not find one thing funny about it. The premise, for those that have not seen it, is this sorority girl falls in love with a mentally challenged kid that she was helping for the special olympics, and she leaves her super stud tennis jock boyfriend for, and that is pretty much it. It is about their love or whatever, and it is a comedy and I hate it so much. It was so utterly unbelievable, past the point of ridiculousness that satire usually involves, into the utter despair that stabs comedy in the face. And yet, it is a critically praised movie with a 6.1 rating on imdb. I cannot fathom it. I cannot understand how people can not only laugh and enjoy this, but think of it as some sort of inspired take on the college genre of films. It makes me so angry.
firehawk12

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:49 am Reply with quote
Silly question, but is there a text-based list of the top 10s somewhere?
Evelas

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:48 am Reply with quote
firehawk12 wrote:
Silly question, but is there a text-based list of the top 10s somewhere?

Don't think there's an official one, but here's the one I typed out. Was looking for new stuff to watch, knew I wouldn't remember everything without writing them down. Laughing

spoiler[
J: Kite (dub, R-rated cut)
Z: Baccano! (sub)
J: Princess Mononoke
Z: Porco Rosso
J: Ghost in the Shell (original)
Z: Interstella 5555
J: Please Save My Earth
Z: Escaflowne (TV series)
J: Hikaru no Go
Z: Perfect Blue
J: Patlabor 2: The Movie
Z: Fullmetal Alchemist
J: Touch
Z: FLCL
J: Neon Genesis Evangelion (TV + EoE)
Z: Neon Genesis Evangelion (TV + EoE)
J: Millenium Actress
Z: Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind
J: Only Yesterday
Z: Revolutionary Girl Utena (TV & movie)]

I didn't get a list of all of their bottom 10 movies, only the ones that sounded like they had potential for the Bad Movie Night a group of my friends do on occasion. Razz
firehawk12

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:16 pm Reply with quote
Thanks a bunch. Smile
Sanosuke_Inara

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:25 pm Reply with quote
Thinking back, it's pretty obvious that I agree that Princess Mononoke deserved an Academy Award moreso than Spirited Away, seeing it's pretty much my favorite anime(if not 2nd favorite to Now and Then, Here and There). Spirited Away came in 2002, though, a year after the Animated Feature category began. Unfortunately for Princess Mononoke, it's theatrical run was in 1999--2 years before the Best Animated Feature category started in the Oscars. Besides that, going by the standards the Academy sets for any movies that are to be nominated, Princess Mononoke also didn't get enough of a widespread release to be eligible for nomination, so even if the award was there, it would've been impossible for the movie to even get a nomination.

So, yeah. The reason it didn't win an award was because the award didn't even exist back then, unfortunately.

Last edited by Sanosuke_Inara on Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:30 pm; edited 2 times in total
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:33 pm Reply with quote
Loved the podcast!

I'm surprised that your bad movies lists didn't include anything in which Robin Williams tries to be serious. Really, I watched *a lot* of really bad movies as a kid (hmm...that's probably why I still prefer TV shows to movies to this day), and "Being Human" with Robin Williams stands out in my mind as one of the most boring films of all time. Also, you included Spider-Man 3, but not The Matrix sequels?!

Really Bad Movies:
Being Human

Toys Also with Robin Williams. It was really, really disturbing to me as a child....

Clifford With Martin Short. Incredibly disturbing.

There are more...I think I blocked a few from my memory *shudders* Remember that one in which Robin Williams plays a kid with a disease that makes him grow 4 times fast?

I'm also surprised you didn't include the Spielberg classic "A.I." I actually liked it, because there was an electric storm in the area where I saw it, and the screen shorted out half-way through the film. I really did like the first half of the movie. When I came back to watch the second half the next day, I didn't like that part. So splitting the movie in two works! Razz

Fave anime:
Fullmetal Alchemist/Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood (I love both!)

The Twelve Kingdoms

Moribito: Guardian of the Spirit

Special mentions: Baccano!! (The dub worked for me) and Eden of the East (lack of ending was bad, the ride was not!) Wink
grooven

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:37 pm Reply with quote
dewlwieldthedarpachief wrote:
@grooven: guffaws aside, After Story really played with some thematic fire. I was expecting some episodic shenanigans, but was pleasantly surprised with the direction things went. Despite that the ending is a return to the same kind of pandering one can expect of Key, there is some serious potential if they were willing to explore something like that again and commit to it. Too often it seems, we only see glimpses of greatness in anime Confused .
It is really too bad that the anime wasn't presented as well as the game had it done. From all that I read of non game player the ending was a huge WTF moment. But in the game you were sort of building towards it. I can see though how the anime version sort of ruined it for some people. It would just be really hard to convert the time line in the same way. If they made a real Tomoyo After I think everyone would like that best.
CG-LOVER

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:03 pm Reply with quote
Hmmm, I didn't know that we could get our top three choices on the show. In fact I don't even know where to do that. Oh well, I'll still just list my top ten anime here.

Some thoughts on the show. First I'm a little confused that Zac actually thought that Planetes was out of print. I mean the complete collection is very easily available at places like RightStuf and Amazon. That collection came out in 2006 and it's a great show so I don't see why BANDAI would stop production on it right now.

Moving on, I'll just say (and it will become obvious after reading my list) that I pretty much haven't seen at least 75% of the anime on your lists. Definitely because I'm still a fairly new anime fan in comparison to others here, so my list is also going to reflect this in that my choices are all fairly recent shows. Now out of the anime you listed which I have seen, none of them fall in my top ten list. And in case you're wondering, the anime I have seen from your lists are Baccano!, Princess Mononoke, FLCL, and Utena (Yeah, I wasn't lying when I said it wasn't much, but before you say anything I will say that I'll get to watching NGE soon. I just purchased it on DVD). That's not to say I don't like them, as I think a few of those are fantastic shows. But it's also true that one of those actually falls into my top 10 worst list, and it's a big one which, from what I'm seeing, a lot of people will disagree with. But hey it's as Zac said, this is about personal opinion and I don't think we can label anyone's answers as objectively right or wrong.

So, with all of that out of the way here is my top 10 anime list:

10. Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
9. Death Note
8. Angel Beats!
7. Ga-Rei Zero
6. Now and Then, Here and There
5. Mobile Suit Gundam 00 Second Season
4. My-HiME
3. InuYasha (Before you say anything I will be the first to admit that a good amount of the driving force behind this pick is nostalgia for me, as it is pretty much the first show that really got me into anime. Over time I'm sure it will drop down the list but for now it still has a lasting impact for me)
2. Monster
1. Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion (No surprise there considering my username. This includes both seasons too btw)

Of course all of this is subject to change as I'm constantly watching new shows that I could fall in love with. In fact, right now I'm watching Eureka Seven and Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood, and I know that both of those have a really good chance of getting on my list when I finish watching them. I also know that a lot of people don't agree with my choices so there's no need to tell me. I came to post my list, not to be criticized about my tastes.

Anyway, I don't have a worst movie list but I really enjoyed the movie section as some of it gave me a good laugh. I hope next week's show is just as entertaining.

Last edited by CG-LOVER on Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:07 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
There are more...I think I blocked a few from my memory *shudders* Remember that one in which Robin Williams plays a kid with a disease that makes him grow 4 times fast?

I'm also surprised you didn't include the Spielberg classic "A.I." I actually liked it, because there was an electric storm in the area where I saw it, and the screen shorted out half-way through the film. I really did like the first half of the movie. When I came back to watch the second half the next day, I didn't like that part. So splitting the movie in two works! Razz

Looking back yeah, Jack (the one where Williams played the diseased kid) was kind of... wtf, but I dunno, maybe because I was a kid, but I enjoyed it a couple of times. Not a fantastic or unflawed film by far, but far from one of the worst movies of all time.

Surprised to see I'm not the only person who sort of likes A.I. In fact, I sort of love it. I love it when I pretend the movie ends before the aliens show up. Long live the tragic ending - for me THERE WERE NO ALIENS. A.I. with no aliens = great movie that pulls at my tear ducts.
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:24 pm Reply with quote
Yay! Another A.I. fan! Y'know, I enjoyed the first half of the movie so much and disiked the second half so much that I forgot that *there were* aliens? LOL!

I've been reading the forum, and I'm dissapointed that one of my favorite shows has not been mentioned. And it definately deserves more of a "special mention" than Eden of the East:

Samurai Champloo. I like it better than Cowboy Bebop. There. Very Happy

Also, "Blood: The Last Vampire," the original version was incredible. I just saw it this year, but it was really good. Too bad that the live-action films and the mediocre "Blood+" series took away its impact.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7