• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Car Talk

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ArthurFrDent

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:05 pm Reply with quote
Erin didn't have a bad reaction to Sekirei... huh, shocked. But happy.
One little quibble is the Collecting of Sekirei. They CAN be collected just by kissing them if you are a human with the right DNA, and some Ashikabi, as these humans are called, do so. But they tend to be cast in a bad light. Most Ashikabi are found by the Sekirei that react to them, and they are the ones who decide to connect. In that way, Minato's Sekirei collect him, and parts of the plot revolve around this.

I also found Kusano, the child Sekirei, to be quite amusing in a childlike way. She isn't played for loli as she is too young for that, but she does provide insight at points the way a child would, and says things an adult could never say.

If you hate insanely endowed women, uh, you may have a tough go... since many of the primary characters suffer this fate. There are plenty of secondary people that don't, but you are going to see a lot of exposed flesh, and mysteriously blown up clothing...

Enjoy Japan Erin. Wink
DTJB

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:21 pm Reply with quote
Uber-boobs?

Anyway, concerning North Star, saw the anime after reading the comic, not really my style. Too much filler, not enough authentic blood & gore and the added in campy parts were the major turn off. Series is really good though, especially the manga. Favorite parts are Jagi arc and the first battle with Raoh. Currently reading Rei vs. Yuda, good stuff.

Car Talk, clever title there.
erinfinnegan
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:29 pm Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:
By the way, just curious about something: Of the upcoming reviews piling up, are you disappointed most are now re-watches, or do you really enjoy sitting through them, even if to potentially give you a new perspective?

It's a relief of my Shelf Life workload since I generally don't rewatch an entire series I've already seen to review it. I'll hit a few key episodes and check out the extras and dub (or in the case of Trigun, the Japanese audio), it takes a lot less time.

I have been slavishly re-watching DBZ, however, since I apparently only watched a small percent of it on Cartoon Network back in the day.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:40 pm Reply with quote
Hardgear wrote:
Yes, it does get much better. And Kenshiro gets his ass kicked later on too. The Shin arc is generally viewed as the weakest part of Fist of the North Star, and in the anime it is in fact loaded with filler.

I figured that might be the case, given the high ratio of love it gets to the level of quality of the early episodes.

Is the manga available in English? I've increasingly found that with anything that has tons of filler I'd rather just read the manga (I am loving Dragon Ball, it's fun and hilarious).
_Emi_

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:48 pm Reply with quote
Hardgear wrote:
Love Fist of the North Star, and am definitely glad to see it getting some good reviews Very Happy

I was so excited when the DVD sets finally started coming out, hopefully it'll do better this time around than last time.

It has gone past the first 35 episodes so it already is doing better. Let us hope instead that it is completely released. I just wish its cover art was as nice as Crying Freeman's.

Count me in as another one surprised that Sekirei didn't get a complete drubbing. Combined with what was said in the DVD review I guess i'll have to check it out. And I prefer the phrase torpedo tits myself. I dislike them for the same reason as brand. But if they don’t always look like that I'll deal.
naninanino

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:00 pm Reply with quote
Here is another Hokuto fan. Good stuff, best I've seen among shounen shows. It's a show for those who are not into the usual formula with gags and teens with non-lethal superpowers. Instead it does its own thing by mixing elements of kung-fu, western and post-apocalyptic movies. Good character development, unique style and hilarious camp-action makes it something special. It would easily score a 10 from me, if it wasn't for the fillers, recaps, reused animation and inconsistent art quality.
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:09 pm Reply with quote
As a fan of Car Talk on NPR, I am sorely unimpressed with the lack of references to Click and Clack.
Dumnerd

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:32 pm Reply with quote
jrnemanich wrote:
Hardgear wrote:
jrnemanich wrote:
I say with Box Sets, Art Side out. What is the point of having an artbox if it isn't used. If you just show the dvds you might as well toss the box in the trash.

The only point i can see showing dvds in the art box is showing that you have all the dvds and not missing any.

I tend to get backed up on anime (I make a few huge purchases a year, as opposed to many small ones) so I leave the sets I haven't watched yet DVD-side out, as a reminder I need to get to it if I want my shelves lookin nice again. Once I watch it I then flip it art side out.

I Sort of do the same thing but i pull down my dvds so that the top of them is facing out, so i know what i need to watch.
Hey, me too, but I have the bottoms facing out on mine. Smile
erinfinnegan
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:52 pm Reply with quote
Sunday Silence wrote:
As a fan of Car Talk on NPR, I am sorely unimpressed with the lack of references to Click and Clack.

I don't come up with the titles of the individual columns, but I did work with Click and Clack on As the Wrench Turns - I was the Script Supervisor on that show. I even played a small voice part in one of the episodes, although I forget which episode, I play someone named Rebeca who calls in to the radio show.
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:20 pm Reply with quote
brand wrote:
The breasts from the cover shot of Sekirei really really bother me for some reason. It's not that I'm offended by large breasts (I have my own) but the seem more like large missile launchers with nipples and seem more like an attachment then an actual part of her physique. Also they defy gravity like no one's business. It's like my mind is registering something that isn't supposed to be there and in the back of my mind it's freaking me out.

Its so nice to know I am not alone. Though I thought they looked more like torpedo-shaped, fabric-covered "plushies" that had been sewn on the shirt, but badly, since they are placed up where her collarbone is supposed to be. ...And the poor girl has no neck! Seriously weird cover art choice.

Anyway, the shelves are cool. Nice collection!

I usually place the box art facing outward, since I'm a sucker for art boxes (when I can afford them). However, when I am in the process of watching/re-watching a show, they go DVDs out.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:30 pm Reply with quote
ArthurFrDent wrote:
She isn't played for loli as she is too young for that,
My friend, you're innocence and lack of awareness of the sheer depths to which Rule 34 goes is refreshing. Wink

Cute Kusano is best though. Her words can hit the hardest of anyone's too.

erinfinnegan wrote:
It's a relief of my Shelf Life workload since I generally don't rewatch an entire series I've already seen to review it. I'll hit a few key episodes and check out the extras and dub (or in the case of Trigun, the Japanese audio), it takes a lot less time.
Whatever works for the individual.

Personally, I do a full re-watch. That way, I can feel confident that I'm giving my complete and honest opinion. I tend to like most of what I watch so to be more objective, I try to go back and analyze the show in depth. Really ask myself "are you okay with telling someone this is your opinion?"

Plus my somewhat high level of self-doubt means I don't trust my memory to be right about scenes. It's like a low-grade test anxiety.
gerbilx

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:33 pm Reply with quote
Super thumbs down for the Lin hate. ;-;
ArthurFrDent

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:56 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
ArthurFrDent wrote:
She isn't played for loli as she is too young for that,
My friend, you're innocence and lack of awareness of the sheer depths to which Rule 34 goes is refreshing. Wink Cute Kusano is best though. Her words can hit the hardest of anyone's too.

true but R34 is so pervasive that we can set it aside, yeah? :devil:
http://www.xkcd.com/305/

I was thinking more in terms of the Loli character in say... girls bravo that IS played that way, and annoyingly as hell too...

you just can't change the fact that click and clack are probably being slashed somewhere...
belvadeer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:57 pm Reply with quote
108? It could probably be pertaining to the story of the Water Margin (you know it better as Suikoden).

I'm fine with mega boobs, but those just look so wrong. Sorry if I'm adding more spice to the pepper stew by saying what everyone else already has, but damn those look disturbing.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:13 pm Reply with quote
Glad to see that Fist of the North Star is still getting some love. Smile I'm also hoping that the PS3 and XBOX 360 game will help usher in a new generation of fans.

I bought the DVD set but haven't watched it yet but I also watched the episodes on Crunchyroll. Yes, the series has fillers in the Shin arc but I find the fillers to be more tolerable than other series (Naruto, I'm looking in your direction!).

Anyhoo, there is one important question I have to ask regarding that set. In one of the episodes, Lin sings happy birthday to one of the dead townspeople in the Fang Clan arc. Is that song still on the set? I'm concerned because while the Crunchyroll broadcast had the song, it is still copyrighted so I'm not sure.

P.S. Glad to see more old school Dr. Who fans here! Very Happy Last month, I started watching the series from the very beginning with William Hartnell's doctor. Pretty good stuff so far although the Keys of Marinus arc was ridiculous and badly rushed.

P.P.S. Shame on BBC for scrapping Marco Polo! Mark Eden ruled! Evil or Very Mad
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3