• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Car Talk

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NJ_

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:36 pm Reply with quote
KabaKabaFruit wrote:
Glad to see that Fist of the North Star is still getting some love. Smile I'm also hoping that the PS3 and XBOX 360 game will help usher in a new generation of fans.

And hopefully it would get one of these R1 companies to try and license the New Savior Legend movies & OVAs. Cool

Quote:
Yes, the series has fillers in the Shin arc but I find the fillers to be more tolerable than other series (Naruto, I'm looking in your direction!).

This!

They're even more tolerable than the entire Garlic Jr. arc in DBZ so that's a good thing.

Quote:
Anyhoo, there is one important question I have to ask regarding that set. In one of the episodes, Lin sings happy birthday to one of the dead townspeople in the Fang Clan arc. Is that song still on the set? I'm concerned because while the Crunchyroll broadcast had the song, it is still copyrighted so I'm not sure.

It's definitely on the set since i watched it a few months ago and heard her singing it on there.
Agent355

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:54 pm Reply with quote
I liked the article even though I'm not interested in watching any of the shows reviewed. So, thanks!

BTW, "Yulia" is a Russian varient of Julia.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:36 pm Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:
It's definitely on the set since i watched it a few months ago and heard her singing it on there.

Thanks, NJ_! Very Happy That's really great to know! Very Happy
Quote:
They're even more tolerable than the entire Garlic Jr. arc in DBZ so that's a good thing.

Yup! Seeing Kenshiro make mincemeat out of 80's villain stereotypes is always fun to watch. Cool
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 2:21 am Reply with quote
vash: If it helps, I just found a Fist drinking game online. Laughing

Quote:
Is the manga available in English?

I wish, but the company folded before finishing it, so only the first nine volumes are in English. *sigh*

Kabakaba: Dunno about Fist, but they edited the Happy Birthday song in Shin Lupin. Crying or Very sad

NJ: There's this guy who does great redubs of DBZ filler.
dizzywulf

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 7:18 am Reply with quote
Oooh I'll be going to Comiket too! I'm hoping it's not too freezing outside/boiling inside.

Sekirei and Fist of the North Star aren't really my thing. I have a friend who really loves Initial D and I haven't seen it yet.
ZeetherKID77

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:08 am Reply with quote
Initial D is a pretty good show. I've been a fan of the series for quite a while and it's great that there's a brand new dub for First Stage since it will get more people to watch it. The CG's not that good but it's a 1999 anime so you shouldn't expect good CG. Character design wise they're weird at first but they kind of grew on me, even with the somewhat exaggerated lips on a few of them.

And the soundtrack is great. Probably one of my favorite anime soundtracks ever. The Eurobeat fits in extremely well with the racing scenes.
CaptainAvatar

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:39 pm Reply with quote
Yes - more love for Fist of the North Star! The show that has some of the greatest cliche lines since some of Arnold Schwarzenegger's early movies! I still need to pick up season two, and soon.

I am in line with Bamboo in regards to Initial D since I love:

1. The group M.o.v.e
2. The Eurobeat music used throughout
3. The great racing action

Takumi's Dad is the greatest, and in the Fourth Stage spoiler[he schools Takumi in a downhill run in his newly acquired car.] I own all that has been (re)released so far - my only complaint being the downgrade from the 5.1 mix used in the Tokyopop release for the Japanese audio (which is why I will keep my TP collection).
erinfinnegan
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:51 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
vash: If it helps, I just found a Fist drinking game online. Laughing

I thought of an Initial D part one drinking game with just one rule; drink every time someone says "Eight-six."

Richard J. wrote:
Personally, I do a full re-watch. That way, I can feel confident that I'm giving my complete and honest opinion.

How many series do you have to watch each week?
jr240483

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:25 pm Reply with quote
Hardgear wrote:
Love Fist of the North Star, and am definitely glad to see it getting some good reviews Very Happy

I was so excited when the DVD sets finally started coming out, hopefully it'll do better this time around than last time.

Also gonna have to check out Sekirei now. I avoided watching it earlier mostly cause I have had my fill of harem shows (like 10 years ago), but this one seems like it might be amusing. Sounds a lot like Steel Angel Kurumi, which I enjoyed.

Also liked FOTNS. Though I am susprised it was not villified like Guyver,Mad Bull 34 or Ninja Scroll for it's over the top hyper violence. ( Damn I miss those days)

Also as said on the serikei review , I'm getting it regardless since i'm a die hard fan of harem series as well as fanservice.

Quote:
The dub is not appreciably different from Funimation's previous work on this series (see my links to my previous reviews above). I'm sure you've already picked up the first season of Initial D if you like the show.

Actually it's the main reason people ARE picking this up cause just like with One Piece , this series original licensor ( I'M TALKING TO YOU TOKYOPOP) screwed over the series big time. ( though it was not as god forsaken awful like with 4kids' mess )

Thankfully the series was rescued by the guys at Funi.

Quote:
Bringeth it on indeed, they also sent me Girls Bravo in re-release. This will be the best Christmas ever. Save me, Kenshiro.

hahahahha. I kinda doubt you'll need saving. Despite the nay saying, Girls Bravo is actually a good harem series ( though it does have an inferior complex when comparing it to serikei )

I'll be definitely looking forward to it being re released and hopefully a better review if it's ever comes back to Shell Life.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
GVman

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 3:10 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
Hardgear wrote:
Yes, it does get much better. And Kenshiro gets his ass kicked later on too. The Shin arc is generally viewed as the weakest part of Fist of the North Star, and in the anime it is in fact loaded with filler.

I figured that might be the case, given the high ratio of love it gets to the level of quality of the early episodes.

Is the manga available in English? I've increasingly found that with anything that has tons of filler I'd rather just read the manga (I am loving Dragon Ball, it's fun and hilarious).

Officially? No.
Unofficially? Yes.

Quote:
Kenshiro is a man with big eyebrows (my type!)

I, as a man who has big eyebrows himself, appreciate the fact that there are still women in the world that like men and not these women with male appendages.
Deadwing

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 5:32 am Reply with quote
I totally misread last week's Shelf Life as saying that it won't run this week, which is why I'm replying so late. Whoops. Anywho, thanks for the feedback, everyone. I've been keeping my box sets art-side out for a while now (I used to keep them DVD-side out), but I wanted to know what others thought about art-side vs. DVD-side.

Thanks for picking my shelves this week, Erin. I hope you and everyone else liked them.

Oh, and FotNS rules. Definitely deserved the Shelf Worthy label. I first got into it when I rented the movie from a local anime store around ten years ago, then I started watching the TV series when it used to air on Showtime Beyond. Too bad the manga never got a complete run in North America. First Viz lost the license, then Raijin went under. Maybe one day someone will pick it back up and print the whole thing. It's such an underappreciated classic

"ATATATATATATATAATA! Omae wa mo shindeiru!" *mook's head asplodes*

bglassbrook wrote:
--If there is a random seismic or gravitational shift, you do not want the individual volumes flying all willy-nilly. Denting up the box is sorrowful, but beats damaging the disc.

The gravity here is pretty stable, fortunately. No reports of anything falling up. :p Seismic activity, OTOH, is rare but not unheard of here. I've never felt an earthquake before, but the Augusta area has been hit by them. Most notably, the Charleston quake of 1886 did a fair amount of damage. There are occasional light tremors. Most recently there was one measuring 2.5 about 20-30 miles northwest of Augusta in the mostly rural Lincoln County.

EDIT: And you know what I just now noticed looking at the pics of my shelves? The bottom of my bookcase is messed up. I'm going to have to fix that.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 8:33 am Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:

Also liked FOTNS. Though I am susprised it was not villified like Guyver,Mad Bull 34 or Ninja Scroll for it's over the top hyper violence. ( Damn I miss those days)

Well, the others you mentioned are OVAs and movies, and therefore have much more actual blood and visible violence than Fist TV, which is censored to a point due to it originally airing in prime time.

Still, Fist TV was generally vilified for being nothing but burly men punching each other and random thugs until bodies explode. Now that Discotek is giving the show the full release it never got people will start to see that there actually is a good story behind the violence and that characters can be a bit more complex than they look.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3