• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Cat's Cradle

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sfried

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:56 am Reply with quote
I've been waiting for Lost In Shadow to be released for quite some time now. It's such an interesting premise and it's nice Hudson gave it some polish, but why such the long wait?

Haven't played Dragon Quest IX yet but I've heard very good things about VI.

Also can't wait to get my hands on Ghost Trick coming from the same people as Phoenix Wright. Not to mention the January 3DS announcement.

Also nice H2G2 reference insert. Sometimes spin-offs can be more interesting than their original source material.
gatotsu911

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:09 am Reply with quote
The new Rurouni Kenshin: Saisen trailer is tantalizing to the point of being painful. All us Kenshin fans want is a new anime, not a crappy fighting game that fills us with false hope. Is that so much to ask for?

And now that you mention it, Todd, I'd be down for a revival of Martian Successor Nadesico too. Big time.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Daichi09

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:58 am Reply with quote
I'm pretty sure you made a mistake there about Shiren 3. It's certainly out here on the Wii but I'm pretty sure it hasn't been announced for the PSP in the US.
Elves

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:12 am Reply with quote
Dang it. Part of me wants to go out and buy a Wii just for Lost In Shadow. I loved Ico and Shadow of the Colossus to bits! The new game coming out sometime in the near future, the one featuring a griffin, for the PS3 is the only reason I want that system too.

It's great to see something, anything, released which emulates the gameplay of Ico. I hope this one does well.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 3:07 am Reply with quote
Dragon Quest 6: Regardless, this game series is just as lauded by fans as FF. Which is partially why no other RPG has a chance here.

iPhone RPGs: Putting Secret of Mana on the iPhone is an awesome idea. The new artwork for the characters and the overall look are awesome (a shame I already downloaded it for the Wii a while ago). Dammit, that's twice now. First After Years, now this. I have to stop downloading games for the Wii and just wait for ports of everything.

Rorouni Kenshin Saisen: You know what's the only thing that surprises me about Kenshin? I still can't believe he had a female seiyu (though I never watched any of it in Japanese). As for an Outlaw Star fighting game, add Angel Links to that list and I'm all for it. Of course I'll probably only play as Duuz, but that's how it goes Anime hyper

Arms' Heart: It looked dangerously close to being a Wild Arms game for me. The vid doesn't look that bad. I think with some polish, it might be better, but hopefully we might get a chance to try it.

Shiren the Wanderer 5: You can be turned into an alligator? Neat! I think Shiren has become famous due to its colorful cast of heroes and dungeon difficulty. If anything, I need to start rolling with this series.

Dungeon Raiders: An iPhone app went DS game? Well that's new. But a fart spell? These game developers are so immature. Clearly, they watch too much of Adult Swim's garbage.

Ghost Trick: For some reason, I feel like this might catch on (and maybe even become the star of its own meme) but there's always the danger of stupid fanbois and fangurls hating on it because it isn't Phoenix Wright.

Lost in Shadow: I've been following this on the Wii Channel. It looks quite creative and has an interesting premise (come on, using the shadows of objects for movement has got to be the single most creative thing I've heard in a long time). It reminds me of Limbo, the way it relies on ambience and sound for music. I just hope the hero doesn't die painful and gruesome deaths like the Limbo kid did. That cover art doesn't exactly put me at ease.

Last edited by belvadeer on Wed Dec 22, 2010 5:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 5:48 am Reply with quote
gatotsu911 wrote:
The new Rurouni Kenshin: Saisen trailer is tantalizing to the point of being painful. All us Kenshin fans want is a new anime, not a crappy fighting game that fills us with false hope. Is that so much to ask for?

That would be nice, mostly because the Jinchu arc was one of the great, unmade arcs in anime history.
John Casey

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:47 am Reply with quote
Goooohdh.... Crap, I totally remember Crime Wave! ...But...I dunno if I should be, well, proud of that per say...

Also! ...You want an Outlaw Star fighting game? ...Wut? What's next? A Call of Duty turn-based RPG?
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:34 am Reply with quote
Wow, Crime Wave looks awesome! I mean, come one... 256 color VGA screens?! That's amazing!

Quote:
But as long as game companies are resurrecting once-popular anime from the 1990s, we can hope for fighting games based on Martian Successor Nadesico, Serial Experiments Lain, and Outlaw Star.

Well, granted, this game is being made to celebrate Rurouni Kenshin's 15th(?) anniversary. So wait until those other titles reached those milestones before hoping.
Raikuro

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:08 am Reply with quote
Hopefully if the Rurouni Kenshin games sells well enough it spurs on production for the final season. IIRC a certain event in the Jinchu arc sparked enough hate mail and hurt fans that many people simply stopped watching, on top of all the lame filler driving casual viewers away. Now that it's over they would rather gauge how popular it is with viewers before going through with a whole new season potentially flopping in Japan.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:52 am Reply with quote
FINALLY, Dragon Quest VI. Damn the game was already out in Japan months ago. Well, considering how long it took. I had pre-ordered last year, or was it? I was wondering when it was going to be finally released.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 5:31 pm Reply with quote
The featured PC game, Crime Wave, appears to have used a little-known technological trick to provide a digital audio experience using only the most primitive of hardware. After some research, I came across this article, which includes selected samples from games utilising the same audio processing system as Crime Wave.

Alas, this is to say nothing of these games' playability.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reaper gI

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 6:15 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The 1.5 version of Dai-Fukkatsu doesn't change the original arcade version much beyond some gameplay tweaks. In fact, there's a Black Label version of it coming to the Xbox 360 in January, and it has a few more enhancements.

1.5 is the normal (fixed) arcade release (1.0 recalled due to the score issue), tweaks and a few bug fixes:
It added the traditional 3rd ship (green helicopter),
removed a safespot on the last boss,
added more digits to scores(issues with it maxing out, realatively easily),
less maximum bombs,
added the auto-bomb.

Black label is DLC or a disk release, the packaged version having an extra (Ketsui style) arrange mode as well.
Youkai Warrior

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:30 pm Reply with quote
Raikuro wrote:
Hopefully if the Rurouni Kenshin games sells well enough it spurs on production for the final season. IIRC a certain event in the Jinchu arc sparked enough hate mail and hurt fans that many people simply stopped watching, on top of all the lame filler driving casual viewers away. Now that it's over they would rather gauge how popular it is with viewers before going through with a whole new season potentially flopping in Japan.

Totally. I just finished watching the series. I did like the Shougo Amakusa arc in the third season, in my humble opinion, the best arc in the third season. The third season wasn't THAT bad, but I definitly would've preferred they made the Jinchuu arc instead. Here's hoping it can finally be made, as it is the TRUE arc to Rurouni Kenshin. Enishi showed up right after Shishio. In the manga, they never faced Shougo or the Black Knights and some of those others. (Even though I liked Shougo.)
teh*darkness

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 3:34 am Reply with quote
Fun read, but this jumped out at me...

The Lost in Shadow review wrote:
"...a captive boy's shadow is sliced from his body in some arcane religious ritual atop a gigantic, golden-lit tower."

For some reason, the instant a read this, an image of a certain One Piece arc jumped into my head and wouldn't leave. Go figure...
Michi
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 3:50 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Which is kind of ironic, considering how much of a hit Chrono Trigger was back then. You'd figure Enix would've capitalized on that by finally porting those games then, but they were even bigger marketing idiots than when they promoted the first game here...

Enix of America closed in November 1995. Dragon Quest VI came out in December 1995. There was no one to bring it over then.

Mind you, that doesn't really explain as easily why we didn't get Dragon Quest V on SNES back in 1992! I think it's just that Dragon Quest was a step behind Final Fantasy. The localizations were slower and people started getting the new FF before the latest DQ, even though it was the other way around for a while in Japan.

Chrno2 wrote:
FINALLY, Dragon Quest VI. Damn the game was already out in Japan months ago. Well, considering how long it took. I had pre-ordered last year, or was it? I was wondering when it was going to be finally released.

It came out in Japan in January. It also makes perfect sense that it took us a while to get it. We were busy with Dragon Quest IX over the summer, and only an idiot would try to release Dragon Quest VI anywhere around the same time. Besides, all the other DQ DS games took about a year to port over, so it works out quite well.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2