• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Jason Thompson's House of 1000 Manga - Jojo's Bizarre Adventure

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheRussianMeatClob

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:12 am Reply with quote
Ah yes Jojo's Bizarre Adventure the king of awesome. Heres an example http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbArvIqZzkI
cucuc

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:59 am Reply with quote
Quote:
A creature that turns sound effects into physical objects, blasting and crushing people with the power of "DON" and "GO GO GO GO".
As an Asian child brought up on Doraemon, I'm sure this idea originated from there. There's at least one Doraemon cameo in JoJo, when Joseph was tweaking a TV in the third arc, so Araki has paid his homage to it.
cucuc

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 1:23 am Reply with quote
Quote:
whose names are Santana, AC/DC, Wham and Kars

Caught a small mistake. There are 3 men of pillar. AC/DC is a Stand from Part 5, AFAIK.
cucuc

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 1:29 am Reply with quote
Sorry, I got it wrong. there are 4 men of pillar, Santana, Wham, Cars and AC/DC.
Captain Crotchspike

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 1:30 am Reply with quote
Quote:
(When I talked to a CAPCOM USA employee that year, they told me that there was no way CAPCOM would release the game in English for the home market "unless CAPCOM Japan forced them to"; guess what happened!)

And thank goodness they did. Nearly everyone I've met who loves Jojo first found out about it from the Capcom game - I'm sure a good chunk of JJBA's small, culty fan group are still fighting game fans of one sort or another.

Come to think of it, I wonder how many people still think Jojo is a Capcom property. :D
GVman

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 3:33 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Devilman, Bastard!!, Angel Sanctuary and Evangelion

I can't say there was really anything offensive in either Devilman or Evangelion. This coming from a Christian.

Anyway, I absolutely LOOOOOOOOOOOVE JoJo. It's easily one of my favorite mangas of all time. Each part is consistently better than the last. I may have wanted to go back an reread previous parts, but I can't say they were better.

Anyway, this reminds me I need to finish reading Part 6. I never noticed Jolyne looking more masculine as the series progressed; she's always looked the same to me.
outlawwolf

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 3:51 am Reply with quote
Thank you for this. I am a serious fan of Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, collecting the volumes in english and in japanese and I find myself supremely disappointed that this series doesn't appeal more to western audiences since it seems to go directly for them in story and design.

I also find that this series may have been brought to america a little too early, with vampires having hit their peak of popularity about a year ago with the whole Twilight thing.

Anyway, I just hope that this article exposes even more people to Jojo's Bizarre Adventure and shows them exactly how fascinatingly bizarre and fabulous things can get in Araki's greatest series ever.
kamidai

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 4:04 am Reply with quote
THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU for spotlighting my favorite manga of all time.

I swear, looking back at my earlier otaku years and the vast amount of manga and anime I read and watched, it was like I was searching for something perfect and yet I didn't know what I was hunting for. It turns out that what I was after was JoJo's Bizarre Adventure. It has absolutely everything I love. Fantastic writing. Exotic locations. Characters who you absolutely fall in love with and years after you finish reading, they won't leave your head. Music references to at least 2/3 of my favorite bands. Clothing design that looks like nothing else (I saw someone on a board once say that if you see a cosplay you don't recognize and it looks like it escaped from a Brazilian gay pride parade, the odds are it's from the later arcs of JoJo). Villains who are interesting. Battles where you just want to stay up past your bedtime because "one more chapter can't hurt..." And of course, every one of the characters, male and female, is so goddamn sexy that it outright confuses my sexuality. It's absolutely everything I could have ever asked for in a manga. I would not be exaggerating to say that I could not have gotten through three of the absolute hardest times of my life if it hadn't been for reading JoJo.

My wallet hurts from how much JoJo crap I import from Japan now, I've bought all of the Viz manga editions and many of the Japanese editions, both artbooks, the official Kira tie, and more toys than I even know what to do with. And then a while back, I made an appointment with a tattoo artist... there's a slightly irregular brownish star (the same color as a birthmark on my hip) on my left shoulder. Nobody can see it when I'm wearing a t-shirt, but I know it's there, and it makes me feel like a badass.

...I didn't mean to brag there much, sorry for the hijack, but GODDAMN this is my #1 pick for "manga that I wish would catch on". I hope, considering the last part 3 volume was published this month, that Viz will bring one of the other six over, although I'm pretty sure some of them are blocked due to trademark infringement.

Also, Mr Thompson, if you read this, thank you tons for clearing up a rumor I've seen in the fan community! There were some fans speculating that Araki himself had drawn the Death XIII dog edits in the Viz edition just because the style looked so much like his recent SBR artwork, and we English-speaking fans had heard stories of him insisting on taking over changes himself from some Japanese fans writing in English (mostly talking about dialogue edits in part 4 although also referring to a few other things), but there wasn't any proof either way. I'm glad it was actually Araki drawing that.

I think at this point my biggest otaku-related dream is for Hirohiko Araki to make an appearance at an anime convention somewhere in North America that isn't AX03, so I can hopefully shake his hand and tell him just how much his amazing stories mean to me. I've met plenty of authors and celebrities who I respect, but that? That would pretty much be the best thing to happen to me that I can think of.
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 4:14 am Reply with quote
Quote:
kooky stereotypes. (White Americans too; an American politician who shows up in Series 3 comes off as an arrogant, toad-like scumbag.)

And that's a stereotype, because...? Rolling Eyes

Quote:
The scene in India in which the villain uses a crowd of beggars as cover to attack our heroes, and Polnareff panics to find himself surrounded by a swarm of doddering, groping, brown-skinned men asking him for money, is much squickier than any religious scene in my opinion.

Compared to how they're depicted in Temple of Doom, it's progressive. Laughing

Oh, and in regard to that Chef stand user, WTF.

GVMan: That's cus Anno's ego is the most offensive thing about Eva.

As for why we don't get into Jojo, the older music references probably flew over the younger crowd's head, while the characters themselves probably don't appeal to tween readers.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:08 am Reply with quote
Yay for JoJo! I was wondering when this piece would be written, but it made sense that you would wait for Volume 16's release, Jason. I'm happy that this title got a release of some sort, but it's a shame that we'll probably never get any more of it. I doubt any company will ever license rescue the OVAs either, and apparently the Part 1 movie was so badly-received in Japan that a DVD release wasn't considered worth it.

I still hope that there will be a TV anime based on the manga; Part 2 would be a perfect choice for television. Anyway, great piece Jason.

Captain Crotchspike wrote:
Nearly everyone I've met who loves Jojo first found out about it from the Capcom game - I'm sure a good chunk of JJBA's small, culty fan group are still fighting game fans of one sort or another.

Yeah, that's how I became a big JoJo fan! The Dreamcast release containing both arcade fighters was bought by my as soon as it came was released and I still love it to this day. Hol Horse for the win!

But the fighting games had to have done well enough over here as Capcom was going to release the PS2 game based on Part 5 as GioGio's Bizarre Adventure... But apparently when Araki saw that Capcom USA was going to change the stand names, like Aerosmith, he stopped that release from happening.

Quote:
Come to think of it, I wonder how many people still think Jojo is a Capcom property. Very Happy

Trust me, people still occassionally wish for Jotaro and Dio to be used as Capcom reps in Vs. games over at Capcom's Unity boards.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:16 am Reply with quote
I read the first three series to Jojo's Bizarre Adventure and I can definitely see the hype. It is definitely a manga series that deviates from the norm and the stands are a fantastic gimmick. I've only read a little of part 4 but had to stop due to horrible translations.

In addition, the CAPCOM fighting game is hands down, in my opinion, one of the greatest fighting games ever made. It was pure Jojo and the stand system gave it an original flair that really stood out from all other fighting games at the time.
kamidai wrote:
...I didn't mean to brag there much, sorry for the hijack, but GODDAMN this is my #1 pick for "manga that I wish would catch on". I hope, considering the last part 3 volume was published this month, that Viz will bring one of the other six over, although I'm pretty sure some of them are blocked due to trademark infringement.

The trademark infringement issue is a serious eye-roller. I understand from a business standpoint that references to actual music bands, even if they are the name of a character, could be grounds for legal action but from an individual standpoint, it's overblown pretension. Ditto for the fighting game where Abdul also had to be named "Avdol" and the red blood was changed to white (which makes no sense in the arcade game considering that games like Mortal Kombat at the time were drawing big crowds for their violence).
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:31 am Reply with quote
KabaKabaFruit wrote:
Ditto for the fighting game where Abdul also had to be named "Avdol"

Well, apparently the official spelling really is "Avdol", though the name is definitely a reference to Paula Abdul.
Dragynstorm

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:37 am Reply with quote
I just want to say HELLS YEAH JOJO! I hope a couple new people check it out because of your article, because it's such a crying shame that it's not more popular (and just maaaaaybe because I crave a legal english release of Steel Ball Run like BURNING).
sepherest

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:40 am Reply with quote
Oh man, I used your internet guide when I first got into the series. I found the first volume of the english release freshman year at my high school's library, and I didn't know what the heck was going on in it, plus the violence really freaked me out (more specifically, THAT SCENE WITH THE PEN!!).

But I'm really glad my interest was piqued enough to go out and buy it later, because JJBA is amazing and now my favorite manga series. The characters, stands, references, humor, art, I love all of it. I have a copy of the fighting game, just put some bids down on E-Bay for animation cels from the 90's OVA, and I also plan on getting a Joestar birthmark tattoo.

As for Jojo's art...I know it can be a bit off-putting to people, but it really grows on you once the series kicks in. Araki's evolution as an artist is incredible, especially when you compare the cartoony-ness of Baoh and the outrageously buff anatomy in Phantom Blood to the Steel Ball Run characters. I was actually surprised when I found out there were only two canon gay characters, the assassin couple Tizziano (who already looked so much like a woman compared to other Jojo males I had to do a second glance) and Squalo from part 5. Even being a shonen series and not really getting big into relationships, there's a lot of great interaction with all the characters.

What just amazed me the most about the series is that Araki seems to never run out of ideas, original or otherwise. Everything in Jojo is just so radically different, it's like it's own little manga world. Plus the fanbase is so close despite everyone being from different parts of the world. I was amazed when I found out how big the series is in Italy and France, and that Araki was commissioned to write a comic about Rohan for the Louvre museum. It's a bit of a shame how overlooked it is in the US (I found volumes at conventions for $2), but maybe someday it'll get all the recognition it deserves. The trademark infringement is a huge deter though, it'd be awesome if the rest could be translated in another english-speaking country that doesn't have the same laws.

Quote:
"Phantom Blood," which was adapted into an anime movie
in 2007. (Strangely, the movie has never been released on DVD.)

From what's been said around various internet forums, the movie was really bad. Bad enough that Araki refuses to have it released on DVD. I know he can be a bit picky about these things, like what happened with him and releasing the Part 5 fighting game in english, but apparently the movie had pretty mediocre animation and some important characters were omitted, like Speedwagon only appearing during the Ogre Street fight. Just seeing that made me wonder how much the plot was changed, because if Wang Chung also didn't appear in it a good chunk of the story would be gone. It's also interesting that there's no camrips of it, either, so the only people that really know about it are the ones who saw it in theaters.

Geez, I could talk about Jojo all day...
Anime Remix

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:41 am Reply with quote
I guess I'll give this series another try... I first found out about this series when the manga preview of this series was in a Shonen Jump issue. I tried reading it, but it just seemed boring...(I was young, so of course it didn't see all that interesting... Rolling Eyes ).

Then early this year, I found that same issue and tried reading it, but just couldn't...

I might just go and buy the first volume of the series now.... Shocked Rolling Eyes Embarassed Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2