• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Spotting Bootlegs

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Papa-Cha

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 4:12 pm Reply with quote
Shocked Im suprised youd care so much about the anine industry. Whats so wrong with buying imported if u know the item isnt going to be released soon in the U.S.? the quality might be bad on some of these imports but some people are not going to have the money or are going to willing to pay that much for dvds that are domestic and the japanese voices are usally better than the english voices
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 4:33 pm Reply with quote
Here are some older topics that my give you a little more info. Wink

"Bootlegs vs. Fansubs".

"Bootlegs...what is wrong with them?"
Goshin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 4:34 pm Reply with quote
Papa-Cha wrote:
Whats so wrong with buying imported if u know the item isnt going to be released soon in the U.S.?
No one is questioning people buying import DVDs, as long as they are not bootlegs.

There is a difference, and if someone is telling you that HK DVDs are the official imports, they're wrong.
Papa-Cha

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 8:56 pm Reply with quote
who cares about if the imports are official or not? tell me whats wrong with buying hk imports? theres many people that download songs for free from kazaa so why would people care then if there dvds are official merchandise and not bootleg? why buy imports from japan? there really expensive even more so than domestic dvds
Ken Hayashi

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 10:05 pm Reply with quote
Sword of Whedon wrote:
It's always wrong to buy a boot, end of story.

It's not always a boot. There are some legit HK releases.
YUGI

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 10:07 pm Reply with quote
Anime is a priveledge not a right papa-cha.
Emerje

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 10:07 pm Reply with quote
The purchasing of bootlegs isn't wrong just because the industry isn't getting the money, but because you're paying low-life scum theives to steal this stuff for you. Would you buy a stereo knowing it was stolen? How about a car? If your answer is yes then you're already a lost cause, if your answer is no then this is no different. Also there is nothing right about downloading anime or music either, it's illegal 99% of the time. Just because people do it doesn't mean it's the right thing to do. And you should care where your money is going, it's your money that helps keep the industry alive. The more people say "who cares about the industry?" the more they're doing to doom it. If you like anime then you should support the industry, if you can't afford it, that's your problem.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ken Hayashi

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 10:28 pm Reply with quote
Papa-cha, given the dire situation I'm in, at least I try to get friends to bring back legit stuff from overseas when they holiday over there. I always buy legit stuff when they're available. I have bought a couple of boots unknowingly (refer to my threads about Last Exile and Haibane Renmei). But I try not to buy obvious boots, not unless it's an absolute last resort (after extensive research and trying to get friends to bring the legit stuff into Singapore). I'm no saint, I'll admit to that, but I think I've got more sense than some people.

Buying boots simply because they're cheaper compared to the already-available legit releases is totally wrong. So what if the legit stuff are a couple of years away from being released for sale, just grit your teeth and wait.

I'm probably in the worst situation any anime fan can be in. But at least I do my part to support the industry I love and which has given me countless hours of pleasure and excitement in watching anime.

If everyone is like you, the anime industry will be dead in no time. Maybe you just don't care enough to try to make a difference.
Papa-Cha

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 3:04 pm Reply with quote
if i were in hk or singapore i dont think i would be buying bootlegs if knew they were cause the customs might consficate them but can you really get legit hk imports that are just as cheap as the bootlegs? im dont got lots of money to spend on anime and dont really like to spend that much money so I wouldnt be trying to buy my anime for japan or i wouldnt buy domestic unless its only released in US or a really hard to find title or just as cheap as the import like some bandai titles like brain powered or saber marrionette j
Sword of Whedon

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 5:42 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
but can you really get legit hk imports that are just as cheap as the bootlegs?

No, not even if you're buying VCDs. There are very few legit HK releases of anime anyway
Ken Hayashi

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 9:23 pm Reply with quote
My problem here is there are tons of bootlegs (though not many titles, just different boots of the same few titles) here and the customs don't seem to care. So it's quite tempting sometimes. But I exercise restraint, and try not to buy them.

I read that up till recently, it was legal to produce boots in Taiwan or something.
Papa-Cha

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 12:29 am Reply with quote
Confused I didn't exactly get that but if there arent very many legit hk imports id rather take my chance even if i knew it was boot cause id just be like the domestic version of it is costs too much, I cant afford it or i dont want to spend that much money on anime and i dont want to have to pay for a series i could get in 3 discs instead paying for the domestic version that has 6 cause then i could save some shelf space in my room ,lol
Sword of Whedon

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 2:03 am Reply with quote
Quote:
read that up till recently, it was legal to produce boots in Taiwan or something

That's correct, but once they leave the borders of Taiwan they were illegal. Taiwan is a recent Berne Convention signatory, so they no longer have a bye
Ken Hayashi

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 2:09 am Reply with quote
Pop N In, I think, is a HK company. Are they legit?

I've got quite a lot of anime from them, direct imports (smuggled into Singapore, in other words) from HK and never gone through censorship in Singapore. Whatever censorship the anime was subjected to was done in HK.

I'll go back and look through my collection again (if I have the time) and see what other companies there are and I'll list them here and you guys can let me know if they're legit or not. I'll try not to buy from the bootleggers.
king_micah

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 2:26 am Reply with quote
Well in your case it is special. Fighting Totalitarianism versus international criminals is a toss up. Personally I would fight for freedom, but I also wouldn't want your internet connection taken away if I talk more about it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 33