• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Eva: 2.0's English Asuka, Mari, Kaji Cast

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AJMkarate717

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 8:56 pm Reply with quote
I am so glad to hear they kept Tiffany Grant as Asuka. And I'm sure that Trina and Tatum will do fantastic jobs as their respective characters. Go FUNIi Very Happy
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 8:58 pm Reply with quote
I'm disappointed they didn't recast Asuka, because Tiffany Grant has no subtlety whatsoever. Mari has about three lines in the entire movie, so I couldn't care less who plays her, and I've never heard of that VA before in my life. J Michael Tatum as Kaji is something I'd have to hear before I can judge, though. I liked his Zarbon, but his Scar can be a bit iffy (still better than Dameon Clarke, however).

Anyway, I'll mostly be watching the movie in Japanese, since that cast can actually act. But hey, at least Monica Rial is Pen Pen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
iamthevastuniverse

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:05 pm Reply with quote
Excellent cast choices as always by Funimation..I for one enjoy and support the amazing talents of the english voice actors..this is a must buy no doubt about it..January-March is going to be phenomenal for anime related releases..can't wait.
MeggieMay

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:12 pm Reply with quote
I don't usually complain about grammar but I'm pretty sure that "casted" isn't a word, let alone the right tense (I looked it up and it is "cast, cast, cast" for the word cast when used as a irregular verb).

Anyway, had fun at the virtual convention and it was nice to at least find out some upcoming cast names if they weren't going to do any licensing announcements.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:19 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
I'm disappointed they didn't recast Asuka, because Tiffany Grant has no subtlety whatsoever. Mari has about three lines in the entire movie, so I couldn't care less who plays her, and I've never heard of that VA before in my life. J Michael Tatum as Kaji is something I'd have to hear before I can judge, though. I liked his Zarbon, but his Scar can be a bit iffy (still better than Dameon Clarke, however).

Anyway, I'll mostly be watching the movie in Japanese, since that cast can actually act. But hey, at least Monica Rial is Pen Pen.

Trina Nishamura plays Lan Fan in Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood. She's a fairly good Voice Actor so I am happy with the choices, as I love J. Michael Tatum.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:22 pm Reply with quote
Yay, Tiffany! Asuka wouldn't have been the same if they'd selected someone else. I think she's a *great* Asuka. That scene in EoE where Asuka awakens and then fights the MP Evas... epic!

Asuka's my girl, and Tiffany is a big part of why.

All-in-all, good casting choices. I'm stoked for 2.0's release.
_V_

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:27 pm Reply with quote
All's right the the world, Tiffany's back as Asuka.

Having seen how much even Spike and Allison improved after 13 years of experience, I think Tiffany as Asuka in Rebuild 2 will be simply stunning.

I'm also quite happy with J Michael Tatum as Kaji; he played Lawrence in "Spice and Wolf", and that sounds a lot like what Kaji should sound like.

Trina is an X factor, unknown.
ryusaki

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:38 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
penguintruth wrote:

Trina Nishamura plays Lan Fan in Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood. She's a fairly good Voice Actor so I am happy with the choices, as I love J. Michael Tatum.

Yeah, ha. I figured since PenguinTruth likes FMA in general he might know the VA.
The Eva Monkey

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:38 pm Reply with quote
As expected, the English dub gets progressively more inconsistent.
Jikorijo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:57 pm Reply with quote
I actually wasn't expecting Grant to return as Asuka. I'll be interested in seeing how she's changed compared to Spike Spencer and Allison Keith. I do wonder why they didn't ask Amanada Winn Lee back to voice Rei since it seems they're getting back a lot of the original VAs.

I've never heard of the two VAs for Mari or Kaji.

Last edited by Jikorijo on Mon Dec 27, 2010 10:03 pm; edited 2 times in total
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:59 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:

Trina Nishamura plays Lan Fan in Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood.

Oh. She's decent, I guess.

_V_ wrote:
All's right the the world, Tiffany's back as Asuka.

Having seen how much even Spike and Allison improved after 13 years of experience, I think Tiffany as Asuka in Rebuild 2 will be simply stunning.

They improved slightly. It's hardly a night and day improvement, which is what they needed to be good. They're no Ogata and Mitsuishi.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Oneeyedjacks

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 10:00 pm Reply with quote
It'll be interesting to hear Trina Nishimura as Mari. I was not expecting her to be cast at all. I was honestly expecting someone like Laura Bailey to get the role.

Trina did a good job as Rachael in Baccano, and also seems to do well as Lan Fan in FMA, so I'm looking forward to her.
R315r4z0r

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 10:12 pm Reply with quote
Jikorijo wrote:
I actually wasn't expecting Grant to return as Asuka. I'll be interested in seeing how she's changed compared to Spike Spencer and Allison Keith. I do wonder why they didn't ask Amanada Winn Lee back to voice Rei since it seems they're getting back a lot of the original VAs.

I was sort of surprised they got Grant as well. Her being involved so close with ADV I mean... and how big a deal Eva was to ADV.

But then again, I don't think any other person on the planet likes Asuka as much as she does.

As for Amanda Winn Lee, as much as I like her, I think Brina Palencia did a better job.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 10:13 pm Reply with quote
R315r4z0r wrote:
I don't think any other person on the planet likes Asuka as much as she does.

If she likes her so much, she should realize how bad she is as her. If she really cared about Asuka, she'd have let her be recast.
Sandstar

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 10:26 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
R315r4z0r wrote:
I don't think any other person on the planet likes Asuka as much as she does.

If she likes her so much, she should realize how bad she is as her. If she really cared about Asuka, she'd have let her be recast.

Hey, why don't you stick to your subs, at let those of us who are thrilled she's coming back be thrilled? You're not gonna watch the english dub, no matter who they get, so why should you care?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3