Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japan's Animation Blu-ray Disc Ranking, December 20-26


Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
nakobass



Joined: 28 Dec 2010
Posts: 55
PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:12 pm Reply with quote
Mobile Suit Gundam 00 the Movie: A wakening of the Trailblazer Complete Edition. Does that come with the entire series with the movie? Hope they do the same for the US release.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Suzuku21



Joined: 16 Jun 2009
Posts: 14
PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:13 pm Reply with quote
There seems to be some misconception in here about what constitutes a failure or not. I'll break it down in simple terms. The total sales are for BD+DVD.

-Less than 1000: Complete failure for late night anime, but is common among mainstream/daytime anime, which rely on other methods to produce revenue such as ratings and merchandising. Examples of this would be Naruto, Bleach, OP, Fairy Tale, Detective Conan, and most noitaminA slot anime.

-1000-2000: Pretty much same as above. Some examples of recent late night anime that bombed like this would be LOLH, B Gata H Kei, and Ookami-san.

-2000-3000: Still a failure, but the show has at least some fans but didn't sale well for various reasons, whether they be not enough hype, relatively boring plot, or too :deep:. Some recent examples would be Occult Gakuin, Shin Koihime Musou, and UraBoku.

-3000-4000: This is around break even point for most anime, or as 2ch calls it, the Manabi line. It's not exactly a failure, since no money was lost, but it's not successful or a hit either, since no money was made. An example of this would be Arakawa Under the Bridge and Ichiban Ushiro.

-4000-5000: This is around where you start to see profit being made. Anime that sale in this area aren't what you would call hits, but it's still a decent accomplishment for late night anime. Recent examples are Amagami SS and Samurai Girls. An older one is all seasons of Zero no Tsukaima.

-5000-6000: This is where some of the more prominent anime among the niche market sale. By that, I mean the more memorable titles of a year. They aren't exactly hits in the sense that they're known among outside of otaku circles, but within them they're common names. You find stuff like Zetsubou Sensei, Motto TLR, Seitokai Yakuindomo, and Kissxsis here.

-6000-7000: Very good for late night anime. Once again, not hits, but they're doing very well and are moderately popular among the niche market of otaku. This is still within the realm of the 5000-6000 area. Here you have your HOTD, BakaTest, and Sekirei ~Pure Engagement~.

-7000-8000: This is where you start to go from being niche within a niche to being broadly popular within the otaku niche. Could be considered a hit among otaku, although this is a sort of gray area in the the sense most anime don't sale exactly in this range, they're either with the 5000-7000 range or skip into double digits. The only anime that comes to my mind immediately that sales in this range is Katanagatari.

-8000-10000: This is where you start to see the most memorable anime over years sale, extremely good for late night anime and a mile stone. Still a bit hesitant to call series in this area hits, but their at least extremely successful. The first DARKER THAN BLACK season sold in this area.

-10000-12000: Where you start to see anime staple marks at. These are the series that even people who aren't otaku will at least have seen or heard of somewhere. This are is ambiguous in the sense that stuff that sales higher initially end up here from sales tapering off a bit. Anime in this are usually have initial sales of around 15000-16000 or higher. Stuff like Strike Witches, Durarara!!, and the first season of Toaru Majutsu no Index end up here after the first few volumes. Toradora! and both seasons of Shakugan no Shana sold around this area. DARKER THAN BLACK: Ryuusei no Gemini also sold here.

-12000-15000: Most anime that end up in the 10000-12000 range overall start out selling around here. As stated above, first season of Index and both seasons of Strike Witches started out here. Hakuouki and Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood also sale around here.

-15000-20000: Pretty much same as above. Only anime I can think of the consistently sold in this area is Fate/stay night.

-20000-30000: Durarara and Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood started out in this area but tapered off later on. This area is ambiguous in the sense that the only anime that consistently stay in this area over every volume are heavily otaku supported. Still, some of the most popular anime sales around here. This is where Toaru Kagaku no Railgun sold at.

-30000-50000: Godly and legendary. This is where the household name or super popular otaku anime sale. First Fullmetal Alchemist, Macross Frontier, Code Geass, Gundam 00, Haruhi, Angel Beats, Lucky Star!, K-ON, etc.

-50000-80000: Nearly impossible. Only series that have sold here are Bakemonogatari and Gundam SEED.

Hope this cleared some things up.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
nakobass



Joined: 28 Dec 2010
Posts: 55
PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:16 pm Reply with quote
nevermind, It's not the whole series, Just some extras with the Super-Anime version, and a 40 page book of something. 129 bucks seems a bit overpriced for something like that.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Robert Frazer



Joined: 07 Feb 2008
Posts: 16
PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:21 pm Reply with quote
Panty and Stocking With Garterbelt has been generating a lot of buzz. The trouble is, though, that its first volume went on sale on Christmas Eve, late in the life of this chart. I'm not sure whether a release week that straddles two different charts will harm its placing (with the tally split between weeks), but as an enthusiast of the show I hope that it accumulates a good quantity of gross sales at least.

Also, thanks for the clarification, Suzuku21, I've always been curious about these talismanic thresholds that shows strive for.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mr. sickVisionz



Joined: 28 Oct 2007
Posts: 1785
PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:37 pm Reply with quote
Robert Frazer wrote:
Panty and Stocking With Garterbelt has been generating a lot of buzz. The trouble is, though, that its first volume went on sale on Christmas Eve, late in the life of this chart. I'm not sure whether a release week that straddles two different charts will harm its placing (with the tally split between weeks), but as an enthusiast of the show I hope that it accumulates a good quantity of gross sales at least.


I didn't see this on the list and was hoping it didn't flop or something like that.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
nakobass



Joined: 28 Dec 2010
Posts: 55
PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:56 pm Reply with quote
Suzuku21 wrote:
There seems to be some misconception in here about what constitutes a failure or not. I'll break it down in simple terms. The total sales are for BD+DVD.

-Less than 1000: Complete failure for late night anime, but is common among mainstream/daytime anime, which rely on other methods to produce revenue such as ratings and merchandising. Examples of this would be Naruto, Bleach, OP, Fairy Tale, Detective Conan, and most noitaminA slot anime.

-1000-2000: Pretty much same as above. Some examples of recent late night anime that bombed like this would be LOLH, B Gata H Kei, and Ookami-san.

-2000-3000: Still a failure, but the show has at least some fans but didn't sale well for various reasons, whether they be not enough hype, relatively boring plot, or too :deep:. Some recent examples would be Occult Gakuin, Shin Koihime Musou, and UraBoku.

-3000-4000: This is around break even point for most anime, or as 2ch calls it, the Manabi line. It's not exactly a failure, since no money was lost, but it's not successful or a hit either, since no money was made. An example of this would be Arakawa Under the Bridge and Ichiban Ushiro.

-4000-5000: This is around where you start to see profit being made. Anime that sale in this area aren't what you would call hits, but it's still a decent accomplishment for late night anime. Recent examples are Amagami SS and Samurai Girls. An older one is all seasons of Zero no Tsukaima.

-5000-6000: This is where some of the more prominent anime among the niche market sale. By that, I mean the more memorable titles of a year. They aren't exactly hits in the sense that they're known among outside of otaku circles, but within them they're common names. You find stuff like Zetsubou Sensei, Motto TLR, Seitokai Yakuindomo, and Kissxsis here.

-6000-7000: Very good for late night anime. Once again, not hits, but they're doing very well and are moderately popular among the niche market of otaku. This is still within the realm of the 5000-6000 area. Here you have your HOTD, BakaTest, and Sekirei ~Pure Engagement~.

-7000-8000: This is where you start to go from being niche within a niche to being broadly popular within the otaku niche. Could be considered a hit among otaku, although this is a sort of gray area in the the sense most anime don't sale exactly in this range, they're either with the 5000-7000 range or skip into double digits. The only anime that comes to my mind immediately that sales in this range is Katanagatari.

-8000-10000: This is where you start to see the most memorable anime over years sale, extremely good for late night anime and a mile stone. Still a bit hesitant to call series in this area hits, but their at least extremely successful. The first DARKER THAN BLACK season sold in this area.

-10000-12000: Where you start to see anime staple marks at. These are the series that even people who aren't otaku will at least have seen or heard of somewhere. This are is ambiguous in the sense that stuff that sales higher initially end up here from sales tapering off a bit. Anime in this are usually have initial sales of around 15000-16000 or higher. Stuff like Strike Witches, Durarara!!, and the first season of Toaru Majutsu no Index end up here after the first few volumes. Toradora! and both seasons of Shakugan no Shana sold around this area. DARKER THAN BLACK: Ryuusei no Gemini also sold here.

-12000-15000: Most anime that end up in the 10000-12000 range overall start out selling around here. As stated above, first season of Index and both seasons of Strike Witches started out here. Hakuouki and Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood also sale around here.

-15000-20000: Pretty much same as above. Only anime I can think of the consistently sold in this area is Fate/stay night.

-20000-30000: Durarara and Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood started out in this area but tapered off later on. This area is ambiguous in the sense that the only anime that consistently stay in this area over every volume are heavily otaku supported. Still, some of the most popular anime sales around here. This is where Toaru Kagaku no Railgun sold at.

-30000-50000: Godly and legendary. This is where the household name or super popular otaku anime sale. First Fullmetal Alchemist, Macross Frontier, Code Geass, Gundam 00, Haruhi, Angel Beats, Lucky Star!, K-ON, etc.

-50000-80000: Nearly impossible. Only series that have sold here are Bakemonogatari and Gundam SEED.

Hope this cleared some things up.


Very insightful and informative. Thanks. Guess I won't be seeing a 2nd season of B Gata H Kei, too bad, really liked that anime.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
kitchiri



Joined: 22 Oct 2010
Posts: 40
PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:28 am Reply with quote
Suzuku21 wrote:
There seems to be some misconception in here about what constitutes a failure or not. I'll break it down in simple terms. The total sales are for BD+DVD.

-Less than 1000: Complete failure for late night anime, but is common among mainstream/daytime anime, which rely on other methods to produce revenue such as ratings and merchandising. Examples of this would be Naruto, Bleach, OP, Fairy Tale, Detective Conan, and most noitaminA slot anime.

-1000-2000: Pretty much same as above. Some examples of recent late night anime that bombed like this would be LOLH, B Gata H Kei, and Ookami-san.

-2000-3000: Still a failure, but the show has at least some fans but didn't sale well for various reasons, whether they be not enough hype, relatively boring plot, or too :deep:. Some recent examples would be Occult Gakuin, Shin Koihime Musou, and UraBoku.

-3000-4000: This is around break even point for most anime, or as 2ch calls it, the Manabi line. It's not exactly a failure, since no money was lost, but it's not successful or a hit either, since no money was made. An example of this would be Arakawa Under the Bridge and Ichiban Ushiro.

-4000-5000: This is around where you start to see profit being made. Anime that sale in this area aren't what you would call hits, but it's still a decent accomplishment for late night anime. Recent examples are Amagami SS and Samurai Girls. An older one is all seasons of Zero no Tsukaima.

-5000-6000: This is where some of the more prominent anime among the niche market sale. By that, I mean the more memorable titles of a year. They aren't exactly hits in the sense that they're known among outside of otaku circles, but within them they're common names. You find stuff like Zetsubou Sensei, Motto TLR, Seitokai Yakuindomo, and Kissxsis here.

-6000-7000: Very good for late night anime. Once again, not hits, but they're doing very well and are moderately popular among the niche market of otaku. This is still within the realm of the 5000-6000 area. Here you have your HOTD, BakaTest, and Sekirei ~Pure Engagement~.

-7000-8000: This is where you start to go from being niche within a niche to being broadly popular within the otaku niche. Could be considered a hit among otaku, although this is a sort of gray area in the the sense most anime don't sale exactly in this range, they're either with the 5000-7000 range or skip into double digits. The only anime that comes to my mind immediately that sales in this range is Katanagatari.

-8000-10000: This is where you start to see the most memorable anime over years sale, extremely good for late night anime and a mile stone. Still a bit hesitant to call series in this area hits, but their at least extremely successful. The first DARKER THAN BLACK season sold in this area.

-10000-12000: Where you start to see anime staple marks at. These are the series that even people who aren't otaku will at least have seen or heard of somewhere. This are is ambiguous in the sense that stuff that sales higher initially end up here from sales tapering off a bit. Anime in this are usually have initial sales of around 15000-16000 or higher. Stuff like Strike Witches, Durarara!!, and the first season of Toaru Majutsu no Index end up here after the first few volumes. Toradora! and both seasons of Shakugan no Shana sold around this area. DARKER THAN BLACK: Ryuusei no Gemini also sold here.

-12000-15000: Most anime that end up in the 10000-12000 range overall start out selling around here. As stated above, first season of Index and both seasons of Strike Witches started out here. Hakuouki and Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood also sale around here.

-15000-20000: Pretty much same as above. Only anime I can think of the consistently sold in this area is Fate/stay night.

-20000-30000: Durarara and Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood started out in this area but tapered off later on. This area is ambiguous in the sense that the only anime that consistently stay in this area over every volume are heavily otaku supported. Still, some of the most popular anime sales around here. This is where Toaru Kagaku no Railgun sold at.

-30000-50000: Godly and legendary. This is where the household name or super popular otaku anime sale. First Fullmetal Alchemist, Macross Frontier, Code Geass, Gundam 00, Haruhi, Angel Beats, Lucky Star!, K-ON, etc.

-50000-80000: Nearly impossible. Only series that have sold here are Bakemonogatari and Gundam SEED.

Hope this cleared some things up.


It's good to see that you re-worded it and add your own opinion, but it would have been better if you at least had provided any information on where some statement and template came from...
http://animapple.blogspot.com/2010/12/info-misconception-breaker-dvdbd-sales.html

and yes, it's my blog.

Edited: and some parts I want to add in. 10000~15000 sales are mostly otaku centered hit. A lot consider 15000 to be start point where 'non-otaku' population involves.

This also means that if average sales of series is over 15000, it means that it is already at a level to become even a social issue.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ArsenicSteel



Joined: 12 Jan 2010
Posts: 2370
PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:34 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Edited: and some parts I want to add in. 10000~15000 sales are mostly otaku centered hit. A lot consider 15000 to be start point where 'non-otaku' population involves.



Informative breakdowns on what is considered failed, break-even, and profitable sales. Taking out the bits that imply anything <4000>4000 are non-otaku sales would benefit the articles to have less baseless labels thrown around.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Suzuku21



Joined: 16 Jun 2009
Posts: 14
PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 4:33 am Reply with quote
Robert Frazer wrote:
Panty and Stocking With Garterbelt has been generating a lot of buzz. The trouble is, though, that its first volume went on sale on Christmas Eve, late in the life of this chart. I'm not sure whether a release week that straddles two different charts will harm its placing (with the tally split between weeks), but as an enthusiast of the show I hope that it accumulates a good quantity of gross sales at least.

Also, thanks for the clarification, Suzuku21, I've always been curious about these talismanic thresholds that shows strive for.

PSG BDs should have sold around mid-high 2000s with the DVDs selling in the hundreds. I wouldn't worry too much though, I'm pretty sure Gainax is relying mainly on merchandising and other methods of revenue for PSG, which are probably working.

kitchiri wrote:
It's good to see that you re-worded it and add your own opinion, but it would have been better if you at least had provided any information on where some statement and template came from...
http://animapple.blogspot.com/2010/12/info-misconception-breaker-dvdbd-sales.html

and yes, it's my blog.

Edited: and some parts I want to add in. 10000~15000 sales are mostly otaku centered hit. A lot consider 15000 to be start point where 'non-otaku' population involves.

This also means that if average sales of series is over 15000, it means that it is already at a level to become even a social issue.

Those were actually my own opinion, which is why I liked your blog, because I agreed with it. These ranges are pretty common knowledge with people who know what they're talking about and follow sales a lot. And yeah, I thought I made it clear that they're otaku centered hits, but are getting to the point where even people who aren't otaku have seen/heard of this, e.g. Shana, Toradora, Index, DtB, etc. I still consider stuff in the 20,000 range otaku centered, just among the most popular, although that opinion has been heavily influenced by Railgun sales. If Index II sales are in the 20,000s (which they are shaping up to be in, based off of pre-sales data) then I'll agree that series in this area are broader hits. Ofc, Oreimo will be over 20,000 copies so idk. It seems like some series are just heavily otaku boosted into the 20,000 range and some aren't. I would say stuff like Oreimo and Railgun are otaku bolstered.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
kitchiri



Joined: 22 Oct 2010
Posts: 40
PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:26 am Reply with quote
Suzuku21 wrote:
kitchiri wrote:
It's good to see that you re-worded it and add your own opinion, but it would have been better if you at least had provided any information on where some statement and template came from...
http://animapple.blogspot.com/2010/12/info-misconception-breaker-dvdbd-sales.html

and yes, it's my blog.

Edited: and some parts I want to add in. 10000~15000 sales are mostly otaku centered hit. A lot consider 15000 to be start point where 'non-otaku' population involves.

This also means that if average sales of series is over 15000, it means that it is already at a level to become even a social issue.

Those were actually my own opinion, which is why I liked your blog, because I agreed with it. These ranges are pretty common knowledge with people who know what they're talking about and follow sales a lot. And yeah, I thought I made it clear that they're otaku centered hits, but are getting to the point where even people who aren't otaku have seen/heard of this, e.g. Shana, Toradora, Index, DtB, etc. I still consider stuff in the 20,000 range otaku centered, just among the most popular, although that opinion has been heavily influenced by Railgun sales. If Index II sales are in the 20,000s (which they are shaping up to be in, based off of pre-sales data) then I'll agree that series in this area are broader hits. Ofc, Oreimo will be over 20,000 copies so idk. It seems like some series are just heavily otaku boosted into the 20,000 range and some aren't. I would say stuff like Oreimo and Railgun are otaku bolstered.
I see. This also has been also very ambiguous line for me, the line where non-otaku buying power is influenced. Thanks for much better interpretations.

After all, my list was more to give just a simple guideline to give brief standards of success based on sales. (The sole reason was actually due to some noobs who flamed me for calling Bakemonogatari godly success. Razz)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group