• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - The Lost Decade

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garfield15

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:26 pm Reply with quote
This is....so true. It makes me so sad to see some of these will never be. Macross Frontier, the Yuasa stuff and especially Dennou Coil. That seems like it would be something that would have easily been picked up a couple of years ago.

Also, I think a show that will never be international-ized is Kaiba. Yuasa sure gets the short straw with this.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:33 pm Reply with quote
Ohhh, Re: Cutie Honey!!! Crying or Very sad

I would have figured Bandai would snatch it up when they also got the live-action movie, but obviously that didn't happen.
Pandadice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:40 pm Reply with quote
Holy crap you listed Dogtato, thats incredible xD. I love that series.

Man, what an awesomely solid list of great title. Dennou Coil, Mind Game, Kaiji, Trava, so many good things. Sure, I don't agree with all of it. I found Hataraki Man pretty boring and uninteresting. But overall, great post. These titles needed this kind of recognition.
aquaofthewater

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:41 pm Reply with quote
Oh man. The love given to Michiko and Hatchin. I'm still amazed this show hasn't been brought over.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:52 pm Reply with quote
I haven't finished reading the column yet, but I want to comment on Nodame Cantabile. While we don't have R1 DVDs, Taiwan did release the show with English subtitles. Of course, you need a way of playing R3 DVDs, but the VLC Media Player does that easily. You can also watch the dub Animax made on Youtube if you don't like Crackle.

Last edited by The King of Harts on Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Otaku_X

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:55 pm Reply with quote
RE: Cutie Honey is still one of my favorites. It's a great version of the character, and it's just hilarious.

I saw Mindgame a few years ago, and while it was visually interesting, I found the whole thing hard to follow. Though I'd certainly recomend it, it's the kinda thing I think everyone who enjoys anime should see at some point.
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:58 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, Denno Coil. When it came out, I had long been holding high hopes for it. How many years has it been? Either way, the hope's pretty much died with time and I've resigned myself to the reality of it coming over here never happening. Of course, if perhaps Section23 or NIS America or someone made a surprise license announcement at some point after all this time, that would be a 'hallelujah' moment for me!
braves

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:59 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
With REDLINE, Koike seems to be taking up Kanada's mantle...
Well, I would argue Hiroyuki Imaishi already did so years ago. Kanada inspired plenty of people, including Koike, but Imaishi is clearly his successor*. Even if Imaishi has been more of a director these past few years than Kanada ever was during his entire career.

The fact that nothing that Masaaki Yuasa has directed has ever brought over here is a true mark of shame on the R1 industry.

*Masahito Yamashita not withstanding, I guess. Though he's changed his style over the years. The "Kanada school" has a long history....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
BeanBandit

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 4:24 pm Reply with quote
Michiko & Hatchin is the big one on that list for me, there's no good reason why this has not come out yet over here. Only thing I can think of is they saw the Samurai Champloo numbers and just wanted to much for it, even still though it should have been released here years ago as like Mike said it's a perfect example of an anime that would appeal to a large Western audience.

As for Macross as much as I love the franchise I really don't think they've made a good Macross show since Plus. 7 is fun but not great, Zero is outright awful, and Frontier wile it has a large enough fanbase here did not do it for me at all personally.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 4:36 pm Reply with quote
Re: Cutie Honey is the one anime I have no idea why it was never brought over. It's sexy, well animated, funny and got an original style to it. I mean you could easily sell it here, Hideaki Anno and his love of fanservice, Hiroyuki Imaishi trying, a co-production by Gainax that doesn't suck, lesbians!

Its kind of sad that Macross Frontier was never brought over, but Macross Zero is clearly something that was just thrown in because they had an anniversary coming up, and a desire to hype an OVA as the most expensive OVA ever created. The result is an OVA that has spectacular animation, but the battles are barely there, the characters are rarely interesting, and Roy Focker doesn't look anywhere as cool as he did in the original version.

Michiko and Hatchin looks interesting, and it sounds great, I question why no one doesn't just throw it on Crunchyroll to see how it does.
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 4:40 pm Reply with quote
So glad you mentioned the Nodame dub streaming on crackle since that's where I watched it a few weeks ago and I fell in love with the series and marathoned it in about a week (soooo, any chance of the sequels getting dubbed too? Very Happy ). Michiko & Hatchin and Hataraki Man are both on my to-watch list (and you should've said the magic word about Hataraki Man: noitaminA ) and I saw Dennoh Coil last year and fell in love with it. Come on Nozomi, you know you want to license this one, please?
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 4:59 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Either way, these are great works by a director who's really been making a name for himself, and we're missing out!

An affordable release of Mindgame is readily available from a trustworthy R4 distributor who welcomes international orders.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
sepherest

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 5:01 pm Reply with quote
Personally I'm not too big a fan of the more recent Macross series, but it's unfortunate how much of a jumble the franchise got into beforehand.

It blows my mind how little attention Nodame has gotten in the US though. It's one of the most successful josei series ever made and it's practically a miracle whenever I see a volume of the manga at a bookstore. I hope Funimation does something with it, given they've been picking up licenses and streaming the more recent noitaminA series, like Kuragehime and Shiki.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 5:53 pm Reply with quote
I wasn't so crazy about its shorter (and thus far more rushed) sequel seasons, but the first season of Nodame Cantabile is amazing, and I have to believe there is something holding it up on the Japanese side of things. It was a big hit over there, maybe they're asking for too much money?

I don't know why Michiko & Hatchin wasn't licensed within 5 episodes. Maybe I'm biased because I worked on fansubs for it (my final project), but I adore that series and think it's MANGLOBE's best thus far. The music is fantastic, the art (save for one noticeable episode where they went cheap and we get to see Pancake-Face Hatchin) is solid, the story is wild, the characters are well-developed, the message on female identity is great, and it has such potential for mainstream appeal. No insult to the moe-fans out there, but your average man is far more likely to drool over bombshell Michiko than baby-faced* Nagisa.

And with maybe a few cuts for American standards (I think there are bare butts in a scene in one episode), Denno Coil would be great for the post-Avatar: The Last Airbender crowd of young American cartoon viewers...

Actually, of the ones I've seen on this list, I agree with them all, though I would switch out Kaiba for Kemonozume, the latter left a bit of a bad taste in my mouth, and the music in the former makes me cry it's so ethereally beautiful.

*literally: spoiler[her baby has the same face as her], it is creepy. Shocked
Wolfzau

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 6:07 pm Reply with quote
Wooooo Kaiji!

I loved that show, it had everything, intense encounters, manly tears and (as you already mentioned) a suitably crazed announcer.

Personally, I think it'sa true shame that it hasn't been licensed in the West, especially since everybody seems so in love with Liar Game when it's basically the same story except with some stupid girl and some pretty boy instead of.... {trails off muttering irritably}

Anyways, just wanted to say great article, great picks
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7