• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What's your favorite anime/Japanese music and why?

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Music
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sunbeam vi Britannia

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:26 pm Reply with quote
Kon'nichiwa anime aikō-ka Does anybody have any favorite anime musics that you watched, like their opening theme/ending theme musics?

For me, I liked most of them, like Bleach, Code Geass, Deathnote, and Full Metal Alchemist. Also, I liked the old anime series liked Eureaka 7's openings, Big O's, Lupin the 3rd's, and Neon Evengelion Genesis'. The best reasons why I love their musics is because they have good up-beat tempo, good quality, and their singing makes me feel happy. I also listened to the full versions of it
too, I love the piano, electric guitar, and any other music instruments being played. It sounds great. Even some sounds creepy and barely romantic. In my opinions.
I am happy to be here, I hope things go okay here. I love anime so much, I am looking forward into it.

Last edited by Sunbeam vi Britannia on Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:21 am; edited 2 times in total
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:59 pm Reply with quote
Please don't overuse the smilies and please don't reply to yourself. If you need to add something, there's a button that let's you edit your own posts.

You might also want to add some substance as to why you like the music in those series. Talk about the instrumentation, the composition, the feelings they bring out in you, or something like that. It doesn't have to be fancy, but the rules around here require that you at least try to back up your statements. That way, it not only gets you thinking, but it might also get others to think, and then a discussion starts.

Good luck with that.
RebelsRogue

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:46 pm Reply with quote
I like both of the Hakuouki OP songs. They really fit the anime well and had a nice/catchy beat to them. The artist had a lovely voice too.
Arsene Lupin III

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:48 am Reply with quote
Sunbeam, I see that you mentioned Lupin the 3rd's music soundtrack, by Yuji Ohno. I really like this series and it's music. The only modern anime soundtrack that compares to Lupin III's, is Cowboy Bebop's, that's also really awesome.

I have to admit though, to enjoying some of the moodier music of various other anime series. One that comes to mind is InuYasha's soundtrack. The background music behind this series is sometimes just amazing, as in romantic, dramatic, as well as cautious and wary. I like some of the more subtle work behind the series, in addition to the more well-known pieces. I can't really say the same for some of the intros and ending themes though, for some reason.
Olaf Forkbeard

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:34 am Reply with quote
I personally have a playlist that currently is at 248 song's from Animes I have finished. I generally like all of them, but if I had to pick favorites I'd say the bands The Pillows and Abingdon Boys School's stuff.

The Pillows did virtually all the music for FLCL with an exception being a short classical piece. The song Ride on Your Shooting Star makes me smile even if I don't want to. Probably has something to do with an unsafe amount of nostalgia. Hybrid Rainbow, Crazy Sunshine and Runners High are really good too.

Abingdon Boys School sounds... good. I can't pick one. Look em up, they've done more than just anime music (I think.)

As for singles that I haven't yet found band related stuff for. T.M. Revolutions Resonance gives me goosebumps. I need to find more on that band.

Here's a small list of others that shouldn't be ignored.
Yu Yu Hakusho - A Smile Thats A Bomb
Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann - Libera me from hell
Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann - Sora iro Days
Spice and Wolf - Ringo Biyori

And that's my.. Hobby I guess.

[Edit:Typos]
lilredphoenix

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:17 pm Reply with quote
For me it started with the soundtrack for Please Save My Earth most of the songs are very haunting and the melodies stirs up emotions that make you sit up and take notice, most of the compilations are instrumental there is one song called "rings" that is very interesting to listen to thru out the song there are chiming of bells.

Another is one of the Best of collection from Bleach the first one, I didn't think I was going to like it but also included in the CD was a DVD that actually showed video clips of some of the OP or ED songs within the series, full length videos and music songs in its entirety which was great, that was a nice little added bonus surprisingly.
deskiejhan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:49 am Reply with quote
[EDIT: No listing. Put reasons for your choices. -TK]
Camiru Mylle

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 5:33 am Reply with quote
Hmm. I love a lot of anime Japanese. music especially Intro and Ending songs of my favorite anime.
I personally like every songs of Back-on. They sang themes for Air Gear and Eyeshield 21 and their songs rock my ears with those poppin, funky, groovy and rockin beats.. it goes boom boom in my mind and I head bang on it:)) bam bam! haha.
m0x

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:06 pm Reply with quote
Hmm. I'm quite fond of most pop rock songs.

For example, both the OP and ED of Steins;Gate stick out for me. I actually have the piano sheet music for the ED. The dark piano intro serves as my ringtone, as well.

Recently, I started listening to Supercell a lot. It might have been Bakemonogatari's ED that started it, but the OP for Guilty Crown just reinforced it.
eccha

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:22 am Reply with quote
[EDIT: Reasons. -TK]
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:47 am Reply with quote
I quite like maximum the hormone and i only know of em cos whats up people and zetsubou billy were on death note.

Im into metal already but they have a kind of cheerful pop-punk element to their stuff thats not found in most other metal bands. They kind of stand out a bit really.
Keiichi-chan

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 6:07 am Reply with quote
[EDIT: Put reasons, please. -TK]
Gatherum

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:49 am Reply with quote
I tend to prefer music that isn't comprised of J-pop. Not that there is anything terribly wrong with J-pop, it's just that it's so prevalent and obvious a choice for OP/ED's that it just becomes an eye-roller after a while.

That said, the themes of Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex, Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Champloo, Ergo Proxy, and Serial Experiments Lain (to name just a few) were standout for me. If they were electronic, they were a non-pop-esque sort of electronic. Otherwise, they were either jazzy or alternative rock (the good, indie kind of alternative rock).

I'm still waiting on an underground metal soundtrack for an anime. Especially if it is comprised of music from the Scandinavian masters--let's face it, most of the best metal comes from Sweden.* Think Katatonia, Dark Tranquillity, Opeth, In Flames, Meshuggah, etc.

* Though my favourite band just happens to be Agalloch, from America.
stocksatron

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:35 pm Reply with quote
[EDIT: Can no one around here read? Put.. reasons. -TK]
sailorsarah

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:07 am Reply with quote
Just lately I cannot stop listening to any songs by Nana Mizuki, although I think her songs from Nanoha are the absolute best. I can't quite put my finger on why they're better than her other songs. It may just be the very upbeat energy they have. I like the combination of synthesizers, piano, and electric guitars I think. Nana Mizuki's voice is really great as well. I like when she has that vibrato thing going.

So Nana Mizuki's songs from Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha are my favorite music of the moment.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Music All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5