• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Ways Forward

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:49 am Reply with quote
Etna doesn't look like a kid... she looks like any normal flat teenage succubi. But im bias as a Disgaea fan.

but yea, can't wait for Recoded & Prinny 2.
Maximus44

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:13 am Reply with quote
Thanks for the news on Compile Heart!

I would love to see a sequel to The Guardian Legend!

The Guardian Legend, Metal Storm and Power Blade are probably the most under-appreciated NES games!

On a side note - Broderbund (the company that had the U.S. license) is still around (still using the same logo too!). They make/license budget software now, and seem to be doing fine as a company!
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:30 am Reply with quote
Welp...looks like Xenogears also goes on my 'money well spent' list of now PSN games I previously bought a hard copy of and haven't actually gotten around to playing yet. Good news about Vagrant Story though.

As for the Soul Calibur series, I'm a huge fan of SC2 but 4 was really not what I can call a good game. Too reliant on spamming you with multiple opponents to weaken you to make things difficult, character creation and story mode both felt simplified, the difficulty level on the tower mode combined with the forced repetition was infuriating and there wasn't really that much to do beyond that. Mixed results on new additions. Armour break was actually okay but the special finished were impossible to pull off. Definitely a major misstep for the series. Mind you, I'm very happy to hear they're keeping the series alive. If they turn in another stinker I'll give up on it but just one bad game is no reason to bail out. (SC3, while not as good as 2 in some areas, was still very good and added a lot to things).

"Plus, it took five years and a lot of money to make."
Yeah, this is probably my biggest complaint of XIII. Overall, I enjoyed it. It wasn't perfect. It wasn't amazing. It wasn't mind-blowing. It was a generally enjoyable and interesting experiment. It's just tough to reconcile that with all the hype and waiting. It's tough to expect anything short of a era defining masterpiece.
WWAanimefan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:57 am Reply with quote
In regard to the SC5 idea, how about SNK instead of Capcom? As in, Soul Calibur vs Samurai Showdown.
GVman

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:02 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Square's never recaptured what made Secret of Mana so much fun

And what is it that made it so much fun? I played it, and it sure as hell didn't live up to all the hype I've heard for it. I actually felt disgusted with buying it, knowing that the US version was given a terrible translation and had tons of content cut.
FanFicGuru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:20 am Reply with quote
I have come to realize in my many years of proclaiming the awesomeness that is Xenogears that there are, in fact, a great deal of people who hated it.

This is unfortunate, but I've been inocculated of my fanboy rabies. All I can say is that I am very glad it's finally out on the PSN and I hope that a new generation of gamers can enjoy it as I did. I still believe it is one of the best RPGs ever made.

Have fun!
teh*darkness

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:08 am Reply with quote
Wow, I've actually owned all 4 of those new PSN titles at one point or another. Xenogears is the only one I still have. Though, depending on price, I may pick it up, and Threads of Fate, just to play them on my PSP. And I agree that none of the Mana games have lived up to Secret of Mana, though the port of Sword of Mana on the GBA came close. What they really need to do is put in the effort to translate Seiken Densetsu 3 (aka Secret of Mana 2 US) and put it on the PSP. I'd easily pay 30-40 bucks for that. In fact, XSeed should get on that after they finish with the Ys and Legend of Heroes games, if that's at all possible.
Penguin_Factory

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:24 am Reply with quote
I remember liking Vagrant Story back in the day, apart from all the damn block puzzles.

Quote:
Besides, there aren't that many must-buy titles scheduled for the 3DS in its first year

I'm not sure I'd agree with that. Ocarina of Time in 3D is probably going to be a big hit, and then there's Mario Kart and Nintendogs and Cats which, if it's predecessor is any indication, will sell approximately more units than there are atoms in the solar system. Street Fighter IV could also be popular.

In regards to Final Fantasy XV on a handheld though, I do think that's the way to go, either on the 3DS or the PSP2 (personal prediction: the main game will be on the PSP2 and a prequel/ side-story /loosely connected spin-off will be made for the 3DS). I hope Square Enix does this, because I've found myself enjoying RPGs on handhelds a lot more often lately.
naninanino

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:39 am Reply with quote
It sure would be nice to have a stronger PSN line-up here in Europe as well. I think that we've had Vagrant Story for a while, but no sign of Xenogears anywhere. Well, I played it through other means, but I'd wish that the RPG line-up would improve in the future. PSN has much potential to be around far in to the future, if they can expand the game library to overseas and across consoles as well. Maybe we'll see PS2 classics after a few years.
Tu101uk

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:16 am Reply with quote
Yay! The first X-Button of the New Year... ^.^

It's all well and good that Vagrant Story (awesome RPG, weapon system is so boss), Xenogears and Threads of Fate are coming to North America, but are some of these games gonna see a release in Europe soon? Methinks not... >.< (Methinks Vagrant Story is out though...)

I'm excited for SCV and hopefully it won't disappoint... SCIV looked very pretty and I liked Hilde and Don Pierre (from the PSP rendition). However, some of the gameplay mechanics need fixing and the netplay needs to be fixed (at least to Tekken 6 standards). If they had the most comprehensive roster with SCII/SCIIIAE solid gameplay and SCIV movelists, it should be fine.

And Todd, I know you're a fighting game fan, so don't forget that Arcana Heart 3 is dropping next week in Japan... ^_~ I hope to see an honourable mention somewhere... XD

O-O~
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:04 am Reply with quote
I am happy to see Virtual-On Force being a region-free game. If Sega never brings it over then I'll definitely grab that Japanese release.
Emerje

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:05 am Reply with quote
Hmm, seems odd to speculate about the future of Square Enix and Final Fantasy without mentioning the recently uncovered "Final Fantasy type-0". Nobody know just what it is aside from being a game. Personally I think it's probably a new handheld series since they're showing so much love to consoles right now. Hopefully we find out in a couple weeks at the big SE event.

Threads of Fate is a game I've wanted to play ever since the "Summer of Adventure" campaign back in 2000. I've always liked the character designs and thought it looked like a fun little RPG. I certainly plan to pick it up on PSN.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:56 am Reply with quote
It is good to see Xenogears getting some love, it's one of my favorite RPG's of all time. I wish I had a PS3, even though I do have the PS1 version of the game. That games really needs to be redone with HD graphics and a completely story. It screams a remake.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Penguin_Factory

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:56 am Reply with quote
Tu101uk wrote:

It's all well and good that Vagrant Story (awesome RPG, weapon system is so boss), Xenogears and Threads of Fate are coming to North America, but are some of these games gonna see a release in Europe soon? Methinks not... >.< (Methinks Vagrant Story is out though...)

Yep, Vagrant Story is available in Europe.
sepherest

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:15 am Reply with quote
I'm glad Xenogears and Vagrant Story are getting added onto the PSN, because the original copies of the games have been getting rather pricey online. Maybe Konami will get the idea too, because there's no way I want to pay over $100 for a copy of Suikoden II...

Square-Enix has been getting a bit funky lately though. From what I read online they recently had a poll to see what they needed to fix the fastest in FFXIV, and basically everyone's gearing for a total reboot or just putting the game back into a more FFXI style. FFXIII Versus actually looks pretty interesting though, and I think people will wind up liking it more than XIII and XIV despite it not looking very Final Fantasy. And as for them going cheaper, I think the recent Parasite Eve game on the PSP already proved that, too.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4