• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: New Sailor Moon DS Game to Ship in Spring in Italy

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
B-503_MIA

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:40 am Reply with quote
Pretty slick, my wife & daughter would enjoy a Sailor Moon DS game (& me too probably)... Why limited to Italy? I know it's making a bit of a comeback there but why not Japan or NA? Is this the first instance of an anime property having a game made for it in such a limited way?
WeirDiE_InC

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:53 am Reply with quote
I didn't know Sailor Moon was being marketed. This game sounds kinda cheap though.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:55 am Reply with quote
Sailor Moon: Another Story for the SNES was pretty good. Wouldn't mind an updated version of that or a sequel.
Haterater

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:36 am Reply with quote
I'm hoping they put effort into this and not a cheap cash-in. Then again, might not mean it would be in English. And from Bandai Namco, so the odds are shrinking.
Rukiia

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:59 am Reply with quote
WeirDiE_InC wrote:
I didn't know Sailor Moon was being marketed. This game sounds kinda cheap though.

Italy has been running a remastered version of Sailor Moon since Feb 2010. It makes me jealous. Funi was considering picking it up back in 2009, but it looks like there wasn't enough fan interest to make it worth their while. Anime cry
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:05 am Reply with quote
Rukiia wrote:
WeirDiE_InC wrote:

Italy has been running a remastered version of Sailor Moon since Feb 2010. It makes me jealous. Funi was considering picking it up back in 2009, but it looks like there wasn't enough fan interest to make it worth their while. Anime cry

I thought it was the manga-ka just being a total bitch about not releasing in the USA for some dumb reason?
Rukiia

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:09 am Reply with quote
Sunday Silence wrote:
Rukiia wrote:
WeirDiE_InC wrote:

I thought it was the manga-ka just being a total bitch about not releasing in the USA for some dumb reason?

That might be it. However, I know that Toei was being greedy when an American anime company (can't remember if it was ADV or Pioneer) tried to get Stars brought over. Don't think the manga-ka had anything to do with that scenario. Also, Funi had a poll on whether they should licensed all of Sailor Moon for a re-release. They never posted the results so lack of interest was my guess.

....I voted yes for a re-release. Canada/USA needs to see Sailor Stars, darnit!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sakurazuka_Reika

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:56 am Reply with quote
Hmm, I think "The moon shines" is a more correct saw of translating "La Luna Splende."...here I go again, focusing on the non-relevant stuff....

Anyways, it makes sense for the game to be released in Italy to me. Sailor moon was considered THE shoujo anime, everyone knew it, even those who did not watch it. The same way that DragonBall is considered THE shounen anime. Even my mother knew what it was although she called the anime "Goku" instead....must have something to do with the fact that my sister and I would start yelling "Goku!! Goku!!" the second we heard the theme song....

There I go, my mind drifted elsewhere again...

And now the italian theme song is stuck in my head on repeat...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3T96Cjhzy5s
Mylene

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:00 am Reply with quote
B-503_MIA wrote:
Pretty slick, my wife & daughter would enjoy a Sailor Moon DS game (& me too probably)... Why limited to Italy? I know it's making a bit of a comeback there but why not Japan or NA? Is this the first instance of an anime property having a game made for it in such a limited way?

There was a really weak PC game in the US back in the day that I believe was just a US (or North American) release. It was...pretty bad. I bought it (fangirl) in 1997/98 and was first made fun of by the cashier and then utterly bored by the game. I can't even remember the plot, assuming there was one. I just remember something about dressing them up.
ximpalullaorg

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:51 am Reply with quote
Sunday Silence wrote:

No one knows. Just it is known that around 2003, They the license expire worldwide and refused to renew it. Italy got one renewal after months, if not a year of discussion. But I think Naoko Takeuchi is involved somehow in all this, the manga got recently re-released in Italy and it got (at least for me) kind of odd localization leaving some terms in Japanese, with the publisher to be forced to put notes on its site since they couldn't add them in the volume due to "contractual obligations". The manga also sports the "Pretty Guardian Sailormoon" title of the live-action version (which I believe Takeuchi herself wanted from the beginning, before the anime, at least according to some comments I read years ago on the first SM illustration book she released).
sepherest

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:21 am Reply with quote
Sunday Silence wrote:

I heard that the thing with the Sailor Moon anime being re-licensed in the US was that the DVDs would be much cheaper than what they were being sold for in Japan, and Toei didn't want loads of people importing the english release rather than the Japanese version. But that was from a while ago, I don't know how it is now.

And with the manga it was just really expensive for anyone to license it after Tokyopop had it's release and let the rights expire.
NJ_

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:23 am Reply with quote
To view screenshots from the game click here.

Here's hoping that the new 3DS will be region-free.
mimosa_usagi

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:38 am Reply with quote
i kind of wish i could speak italian now Sad
neocloud9

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:00 am Reply with quote
mimosa_usagi wrote:
i kind of wish i could speak italian now Sad

Exactly what I was about to post... ^^;;
norbjunior

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:21 am Reply with quote
Don't mean to be debbie downer.....but those screenshots look weak. Another Story was one of the defining RPGs of my early game and anime days, and I was hoping for something equally as awesome....but this looks like it's for the Sega Game Gear.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3