• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Lucky Star BD Box in Japan in May with English Dub/Sub

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MmmCurry

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:22 pm Reply with quote
They be stealin ma moneys D:
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:56 pm Reply with quote
I am curious to see how this would look in BD, but that's a pretty steep price for the show, even if it is a favorite of mine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
archaron

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:58 pm Reply with quote
I would love to get Lucky Star on Blue Ray, but for $475 they can keep it.
FMAvatard

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:03 pm Reply with quote
...does the average Japanese otaku have this kind of money?
archaron

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:07 pm Reply with quote
Apparently they don't need food or rent money.
jsc315

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:23 pm Reply with quote
and we wonde why the anime industry is falling...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Otaku_X

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:33 pm Reply with quote
I love how EVERY time a Japanese release is mentioned on ANN, over half the comments are people complaining about the price, as if that particular release is horrifyingly high compared to other releases, rather than the standard rate for whatever it is. It's always confused me.

DVDs and Blu-ray are expensive in Japan compared to the US. This is old news. And, hey, guess what? Next time ANN posts about a Japanese box set, it's gonna be around 400-600 bucks. Sorry for the spoilers.
Forte-sama

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:35 pm Reply with quote
If I had a Blu-ray Player and the money for that, I might buy it, but even if you don't need to worry about food or rent or what not, there's a lot more I think you could do with that. Better to wait to find a used copy someone has imported. Lol.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:48 pm Reply with quote
Is it really necessary to watch Lucky Star on what's probably an upscale? Even if it was native HD, I don't think it'd be needed. I mean, it's not exactly the most animated show ever.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Freakmasta

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:55 pm Reply with quote
Regardless of what series boxset, it's ALWAYS going to be worth a lot to obtain it. Hell, I'm pretty sure if a Platonic Heart (Master of Martial Heart) boxset comes out, it'll be through the roof, even though it's CLEARLY not worth a single yen.

But yeah, Japanese people will buy the Lucky Star set and either laugh at the dub or say "I'm learning English, the LS way."
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:57 pm Reply with quote
I could see Aniplex/Right Stuf trying to sell a limited number of these BD sets in the US (along with the ROD and other TV/movie set BD releases announced last year) for a slightly discounted price but it'll still be over $300 easy.

I'm just not sure about a lot of these BD releases. The Japanese are still doing a lot of upscales. It seems like a a majority of the BD releases still aren't native hi-def productions.

Given the past history of "limited edition" BD releases like Yukikaze and Freedom which were at one time on sale for $75-$80 they still couldn't move very many copies at all. I had Yukikaze on DVD already and frankly everything I ever read about the BD set was that it suffered from obvious fuzziness because of upscaling and lacked some of the extras that were on the original domestic DVD release. Freedom I never really considered getting because of its bleak storyline and the fact that I don't care for most of Otomo's work at any rate... Out of the Honneamise domestic releases, I only bought the Gunbuster and Royal Space Force movies because those had a track record with me and I knew I liked those films. I'm just not impulsive on high-priced (above $65) home video releases.

Yeah, with those prices, I don't see anime BD in the US moving fast beyond sales of the Funi/Bandai releases. Lovely to get series cheaper than in the past, still stinks you have to pay at least $45 for most sets on BD. It's not a cheap hobby even if you compare price scales with Japan.

With anime fandom in the US, most people seem to be very casual and never get beyond fandom of card games, Sailor Moon, or Dragon Ball Z. Fandom is a mile-wide but an inch deep in thoughtfulness and appreciation of storylines and art. (Sorta like the case is with videogames for the most part.) 20-year+ fans are the exception; the norm is the kid who gets out of it because it's too expensive or they grow out of appreciation of animation, period.

These are high-end collector's boxes and they're going to remain that way. The only really good thing about the imports-to-come in the US is that at least they'll have English options. 98% of the rest of anime on BD, let alone DVD, in Japan doesn't have that at all!

I definitely would have paid for a BD box of Macross Frontier with subtitles or something else that hasn't been on DVD already. Sad fact of the US anime industry is that they're playing it safe with re-releases of proven and 'gettable' licenses because it's not safe with the state of the industry to buy a lot of unproven junk. Look where experimenting got Geneon and ADV Films when they did that!
Redlinks

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:59 pm Reply with quote
I think I'll wait for the price to drop (if that'll ever happen) before I rush in and buy it.
RoverTX

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:07 pm Reply with quote
Going off what has been said before about Blu-ray upscale releases like this one in Japan..... its not about the Video, or the content its about the Limited Edition nature of the product. Its about being "hardcore", thats about it really.....
Kit-Tsukasa

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:44 pm Reply with quote
I bet $475 that it will be a crap upscale just like AIR and Kanon 2006 were, let alone Haruhi 2006.
SonicRenegade84

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:55 pm Reply with quote
*raises palms of hands*

On the left, Lucky Star. My #2 favorite anime of all time...

On the right, 475 bucks...

Thank god it's only #2. And I already have it and looks great on a bluray player since it, you know, upconverts?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4