• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: X-Men Spinoff Writer Addresses Akira Similarities

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mdo7

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:05 pm Reply with quote
I don't see any problem with this. I'm glad to see the writer at Marvel has address this. Anyway, how is this any different from how Masakazu Katsura put Batman reference (that include a Batman look-alike) in his manga, or Monev from Trigun is modeled after Venom (Monev is Venom backward) since Yasuhiro Nightow is a big fan ot Todd Mcfarlane's work? If an American comic book want to pay homage to anime/manga, then let them.

To the people that complain about Marvel is ripping off anime character, if you're going to complain about Marvel "ripping off" anime character, then why aren't you complaining about mangaska "ripping off" DC and Marvel characters.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gyt Kaliba

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:11 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
I don't see any problem with this. I'm glad to see the writer at Marvel has address this. Anyway, how is this any different from how Masakazu Katsura put Batman reference (that include a Batman look-alike) in his manga, or Monev from Trigun is modeled after Venom (Monev is Venom backward) since Yasuhiro Nightow is a big fan ot Todd Mcfarlane's work?

Not to mention the Gambit and Venom lookalikes in Rurouni Kenshin that are Jin-e and...um...the Venom look-alike dude in the end of the manga. Razz

There's nothing wrong with references, especially when they acknowledge them, if you ask me, so I agree with you.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:25 pm Reply with quote
As long as he's not pulling a Nick Simmons, I'm fine with it. Anyway, there are a lot of Western comic writers who are fans of Akira. They also used the bridge scene in the movie for X: Men: The Last Stand. Cool

Gyt: Watsuki's a fan, so it's sort of ok.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:29 am Reply with quote
Gyt Kaliba wrote:
mdo7 wrote:
I don't see any problem with this. I'm glad to see the writer at Marvel has address this. Anyway, how is this any different from how Masakazu Katsura put Batman reference (that include a Batman look-alike) in his manga, or Monev from Trigun is modeled after Venom (Monev is Venom backward) since Yasuhiro Nightow is a big fan ot Todd Mcfarlane's work?

Not to mention the Gambit and Venom lookalikes in Rurouni Kenshin that are Jin-e and...um...the Venom look-alike dude in the end of the manga. Razz

There's nothing wrong with references, especially when they acknowledge them, if you ask me, so I agree with you.

Same here. I see nothing wrong with this.

btw, Gyt Kaliba, if you don't mind my asking: Can you elaborate (possibly with visual references?) on the "Gambit lookalike in Kenshin" you spoke of? I'm really interested now!
Gyt Kaliba

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:20 am Reply with quote
@ GATSU - Yeah, so long as it's not Nick Simmons-ing, then it's cool LOL. And more 'fanboy' then just fan, Watsuki's got it bad with that Jim Lee coin of his. Razz

@ Ashen Phoenix - Ask and you shall receive.

http://www.pobladores.com/data/pobladores.com/ka/or/kaoru_kamiya/channels/rurouni_kenshin/images/2638774r68.jpg
http://media.animegalleries.net/albums/userpics/82531/jin-e.jpg?=123
http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:wGtFH-tJzYuitM:http://www.bladeofhiten.iwarp.com/images/jineidead3_250x187.jpg&t=1

It wasn't really obvious to me at first, but after reading his notes about the character, an insane version of Gambit is all I see now.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
gatotsu911

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:53 pm Reply with quote
Kieron Gillen?? Is that, like, the game critic Kieron Gillen? The one who writes for Eurogamer? Same guy?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Tamsin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:25 pm Reply with quote
gatotsu911 wrote:
Kieron Gillen?? Is that, like, the game critic Kieron Gillen? The one who writes for Eurogamer? Same guy?

Yeah, it's the same guy.
Raikuro

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:28 am Reply with quote
Those aren't the only Kenshin characters based off Marvel.

Aoshi's coat and sheathed twin kodachis resemble Gambit with his staff.

And besides the Venom/Carnage guy in the Jinchu arc, there is also a cannon-arm guy that resembles Apocalypse and a guy with an outfit resembling Mr. Sinister's cape.
Nami-SWAN

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:12 am Reply with quote
I've dropped this AWFUL title. I wish I had heard about this back in November 'cause I would have dropped it sooner. Akira is a title I have avidly avoided. I have had every opportunity too watch it, and chose not to. So having a plagiarized, poorly written, grotesquely drawn knock-off of a title I have NEVER wanted to see is completely unacceptable and frankly gross. I have better things I can spend my money on than this. I order 2-3 months in advance, just got done reading #2 and 3 (they came in the same day) and thought it was awful. Then I read this I'm done; done with GH, done with anything else Kieron Gillen has his name attached to. I used to like him, that's one of the reasons I bought GH in the first place, but not any more, I'm done.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1