• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Pokémon Manga to Run in Shonen Sunday Mag in March

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
crazychild

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:58 am Reply with quote
I'm guessing it won't be as adult as Toshihiro Ono's manga.
Zero Gravity

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:18 pm Reply with quote
crazychild wrote:

One can only dream... one can only dream...
Course if it came to America 99% likely it would be dumbed down for kids... cause thats just how we are... -____-
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
DrizzlingEnthalpy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:36 pm Reply with quote
So this new series will be aimed at the five-to-six-year-old crowd?
malvarez1

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:12 pm Reply with quote
I like the idea of a more Shonen-ish Pokemon manga.
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:49 pm Reply with quote
The female PC in B/W is abit tomboyish and dressed suggestively....
perroloco

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 2:24 pm Reply with quote
@Sunday Silence: Yeah but apparently those designs won't be used, from the looks of it it won't follow B/W story as PokeSpecial does..

BTW IMO is sad that Shonen Sunday is decreasing each year, I remember reading a couple of years earlier its circulation was around 1,000,000 *a little less maybe* Shonen Magazine was also a little higher, though Shonen Jump was a little lower.

But why would this be? I mean how come Shonen Sunday has decreased while Shonen Magazine has kinda stayed the same? I mean both started the exact same date.. Sunday even has a star manga which has been an anime since God-knows-when (Detective Conan) you would think it would sell more...
Kiyomaro

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 2:57 pm Reply with quote
DrizzlingEnthalpy wrote:
So this new series will be aimed at the five-to-six-year-old crowd?

Older, actually. Like middle/high school age.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:24 pm Reply with quote
I dun get this, Pokemon Adventures is perfectly fine.
Ojamajo LimePie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:56 pm Reply with quote
Conan-san wrote:
I dun get this, Pokemon Adventures is perfectly fine.

And it's not going anywhere. There's just a new Pokemon manga aimed at an older demographic being launched in a different magazine. The franchise has often had multiple manga running at the same time.
timesteel

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:21 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
But why would this be? I mean how come Shonen Sunday has decreased while Shonen Magazine has kinda stayed the same? I mean both started the exact same date.. Sunday even has a star manga which has been an anime since God-knows-when (Detective Conan) you would think it would sell more...
right now sunday just doesn't have many very good series they mainly only have Rinne and Hayate going for them as magazine has a lot more popular series at the moment such as Fairy Tale,Bloody Monday Season 2,Hajime no Ippo,God Hand Teru,Air Gear,Negima and few others. personally i think that magazine comes up with better stories and the only thing that mainly got sunday off the ground when they started was that shogakukan had almost every published author and magazine had to hire people with no publication experience and therefore they had to work a lot harder to get the magazine as popular as it is. each writer for magazine has two editors not one like on jump and sunday and they don't put out the finished chapters until they all agree what there putting out will be good.

and even though they have case closed it's barely even printed anymore and its not even listed on there site as one of there regular comics
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:40 pm Reply with quote
I hope it gets licensed by Viz
Dark Absol

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:34 pm Reply with quote
So, if this new Pokemon Series were to get licensed by Viz Media in U.S., will it run in Shonen Jump or Shonen Sunday line instead of Viz Kids?
Kyogissun

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:42 am Reply with quote
crazychild wrote:

You refering to Electric Tale? Or something I'm unaware of?

Simply put, anything that is more slice of life-ish with decent action scenes and not simply 'HEY KIDS, LETS TALK ABOUT THESE POKEMON AND HAVE A TOTALLY HALF ASSED PLOT AND NOT WORRY ABOUT ANY REAL SEMBLANCE OF CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT WE HAVEN'T ALREADY DONE AND EXHAUSTED BEFORE!' would be welcomed.

I mean, no one here is asking for Pokemon to go all grimdark and involve serious levels of blood and violence, but it wouldn't kill for another 'all ages' production to be out there again. It doesn't need to be much outside of fanservice fluff (read: showing off the pokemon, having them fight, etc etc) but it couldn't hurt for it to be a little less painfully boring and dull to watch.

The movies are the closest we get to that these days, they shove aside the basic plots going on for the characters and have (typically) a pretty independent story. I stopped giving a shit about the TV series a long time ago but honestly, I really enjoyed the recent films. Nice little exhibitions of above par animation, a decently self contained plot and not much else to ask for.

Kinda what the 'Adventure' series tries to do, right?

Anywho, be it styled like Adventure or Electric Tale, I might check it out.
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:45 am Reply with quote
Dark Absol wrote:
So, if this new Pokemon Series were to get licensed by Viz Media in U.S., will it run in Shonen Jump or Shonen Sunday line instead of Viz Kids?

Oh god, I wanna see Pokeball Boobs.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1