• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Manga UK Adds Fairy Tail, Shikabane Hime Aka

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zilan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:07 pm Reply with quote
Well if they got Fairy Tail, that means one of the American publishers have It.

I'm thinking It's Sentai, and they'll release sub only DVD sets like Gintama.
egoist

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:10 pm Reply with quote
Fairy Tail, really? Hope it was very cheap, because Gintama and One Piece would be so much better.
wertwow

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:13 pm Reply with quote
Zilan wrote:

Dosnt really mean that an American publisher has it. In fact with a lot of the longer running series (bleach,narato) manga uk goes direct to the liceansor rather than to an American publisher like funi
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:14 pm Reply with quote
Well, I certainly hope that Manga UK getting Fairy Tail means an R1 company will get it, too. I'd love to start collecting it. Personally, I think Funi makes a lot of sense but its been a while since they've announced any major new licenses and I wonder if their status within Navarre (i.e. wanting to sell them) has anything to do with that?
Zilan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:16 pm Reply with quote
wertwow wrote:
Zilan wrote:

Dosnt really mean that an American publisher has it. In fact with a lot of the longer running series (bleach,narato) manga uk goes direct to the liceansor rather than to an American publisher like funi

Well of course. They have to go directly to the main license holder. They do however more often than not use the dub/subtitle license from the American publishers. Which is why there's a 99% chance an American publisher also has Fairy Tail.

And I say Sentai because #1 It's on crunchyroll #2 Funimation has way too much on It's plate.
Reaper gI

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:24 pm Reply with quote
wrong "aka" and "kuro" in Shikabane Hime titles.
It's 赫 and 玄, not the colours 赤 and 黒.
wertwow wrote:

They have to get the English dub from them, they don't do their own dubs or release sub-only.

Wether things are licensed from a US distro or straight from japan doesn't matter, they won't release without an American dub.
vulcanraven01

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:33 pm Reply with quote
Will be interesting to see who the US licensor is.
My money would be on Sentai.
FUNi just have too much on their plate right now to be jumping head first into another on-going shonen jump.
The only question with Sentai is if they would be a dub or sub-only.
The only closest example you have from them is Gintama, but you can't judge on that since it wouldn't have been a profitable venture to do a dub for a 200-odd ep show.
I'd say Fairy Tail is a good show for possible TV showing. Whoever has it should be looking at securing a TV slot and dubbing it.
Guess we just need to wait and see now...
wertwow

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:33 pm Reply with quote
Reaper gI wrote:
wrong "aka" and "kuro" in Shikabane Hime titles.
It's 赫 and 玄, not the colours 赤 and 黒.
wertwow wrote:

They have to get the English dub from them, they don't do their own dubs or release sub-only.

Wether things are licensed from a US distro or straight from japan doesn't matter, they won't release without an American dub.

they have aparantly done some inhouse dubs, and they are dubbing musashi: The Dream of the Last Samurai (or so I've heard). To me anyway it just seems strange, that the compony Manga are getting the dub from allowed them to annouce such a big licence before theyve had a chance to.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:37 pm Reply with quote
Reaper gI wrote:

How unfortunate a state of affairs that is, if I may be so bold as to proclaim.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Destinyblade

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:45 pm Reply with quote
vulcanraven01 wrote:
FUNi just have too much on their plate right now to be jumping head first into another on-going shonen jump.

Fairy Tail isn't from Shonen Jump; it's a Shonen Magazine series. I guess there's some wrong preconception about big shonen titles = must be from Jump, because people always get this wrong.

I haven't kept up with what FUNi is doing, but I thought they were doing more of the re-releases rather than new shows. Maybe I'll check and see what they're going to put out in the near future.

Not sure which licensee I would prefer. If FUNi does it, it'll get dubbed, but if it doesn't sell well, only a portion will make it to Region 1 (like Kodocha, Case Closed, etc.). If Sentai gets it, all of it will probably come out, but most likely in sub format. Most would probably say Sentai based on this, though I'm more divided 'cause I like dubs.

vulcanraven01 wrote:
I'd say Fairy Tail is a good show for possible TV showing. Whoever has it should be looking at securing a TV slot and dubbing it.

Most likely, that TV slot will be on the FUNimation Channel or Anime Network. I just get the feeling that this show's content wouldn't be something Adult Swim or some other channel would get.

Then again, Adult Swim did pick up Kekkaishi, so I guess anything's possible.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:52 pm Reply with quote
Reaper gI wrote:

They are very unlikely to release without an English dub, although Jerome has stated willingness if they can make the figures work (sub-only anime basically sells half as well as dubbed in the UK according to the figures they have).
There have been two Manga UK-produced dubs in recent years, for Innocence and Millennium Actress (the former was actually recorded in the US by Epcar Entertainment). I have no idea what the arrangements behind those were since the UK alone cannot finance a dub (whether these were an exception to the rule or the rule maker, I don't know).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:03 pm Reply with quote
Destinyblade wrote:
I haven't kept up with what FUNi is doing, but I thought they were doing more of the re-releases rather than new shows. Maybe I'll check and see what they're going to put out in the near future.

You're not wrong. Funi hasn't announced the licensing of an anime TV series (not movie or OVA) for physical media release (not simulcasting) since the end of last July when it announced Ookami-san, Strike Witches 2 and Shukufuku no Campanella would come out some time this year. Again, I wonder if the uncertainty over its future as a Navarre division is the reason behind what seems to be a paucity of new TV anime series licensing announcements for DVD or BD release.

I'd rather it be Funi because then it is automatic it gets a dub. I could live with sub-only, but I'm not thrilled with Sentai's practice of just using the original CR speedsubs like they did for the Koihime Muso release, apparently.
Takuku

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:24 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
wertwow wrote:

I presume by "they" you first meant any UK distributor and then comes to realise you may have just meant Manga UK.

If I was right the first time I just wanted to point this out:
http://www.play.com/DVD/DVD/4-/16142336/Durarara-Volume-1/Product.html?searchstring=durarara&searchtype=allproducts&searchsource=0&urlrefer=search
Durarara sub only

Oh and I also love you for this Manga UK. Very Happy
egoist

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:26 pm Reply with quote
Hmm, but Beez is the one releasing Durarara!!, not Manga UK.

Manga UK wants (if not already) to be the British Funimation. To be fair, they could moderate it a bit and not abide by the "No dub, no release" thing, as American Dub isn't as appreciated over here. Not that UK could do a better job either.

I don't think it'll be sub only. Which means it's most likely been licensed in the US. After all, their target demographic is most likely Harry Potter's. Okay, okay, I meant Naruto and Lemon Bleach. And as we all know, those who watch Naruto and Bleach can't afford to read subtitles.
Anime Remix

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:09 pm Reply with quote
Wish it was Katekyo Hitman Reborn! instead of Fairy Tail (since there could of been a chance that a US company could of had the rights to the Reborn! Anime). Crying or Very sad
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4