• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: GDH Animates G.I. Joe

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2004 2:51 pm Reply with quote
I've always found it hillarious that the "Real American Heroes" were drawn by Japanese studios. (Toei, and now Gonzo)

Anyone share my position?
Double-O

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2004 2:58 pm Reply with quote
Actually, G.I. Joe was animated by Hasbro Sunbow, a subsidiary of Marvel. Japan had nothing to do about it. In fact, Transformers was also done by them.

I hope to GOD that G.I. Joe doesn't end up like what happened to Transformers. Anime is good and all, but American cartoons should stay American
Animefan16

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2004 3:00 pm Reply with quote
I made a thread about the TMNT anime, and we all agreed that it sucked. Let's hope this doesn't.
silentjay

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2004 3:38 pm Reply with quote
Double-O wrote:
Actually, G.I. Joe was animated by Hasbro Sunbow, a subsidiary of Marvel. Japan had nothing to do about it. In fact, Transformers was also done by them.

It's well known that the pre-movie G.I. Joe series was animated by Toei, as was Transformers, and it's in the credits for both series and is on the resume of a number of former Toei animators. It wasn't, however, produced by Toei, but they did all the animation for it, key and inbetweens.

The production of the series was done by Sunbow and Marvel, with the designs and writing being in-house, but all the animation was handled by Toei. Sunbow was the media division of Hasbro, and had nothing to do with Marvel, except for the co-production of a few Hasbro related properties. Kent Butterworth, one of the producers of both series, has gone on at length about the colaboration between the two production companies, and their glowing relationship with Toei.

Marvel Productions was the subsiduary of Marvel, but it was closed down when Roger Corman bought the company and New World took over all productions. Hasbro folded Sunbow directly into its corporate structure, while keeping the name for a time.
Comrade Red

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2004 5:05 pm Reply with quote
silentjay wrote:
It's well known that the pre-movie G.I. Joe series was animated by Toei, as was Transformers, and it's in the credits for both series and is on the resume of a number of former Toei animators. It wasn't, however, produced by Toei, but they did all the animation for it, key and inbetweens.

The production of the series was done by Sunbow and Marvel, with the designs and writing being in-house, but all the animation was handled by Toei. Sunbow was the media division of Hasbro, and had nothing to do with Marvel, except for the co-production of a few Hasbro related properties. Kent Butterworth, one of the producers of both series, has gone on at length about the colaboration between the two production companies, and their glowing relationship with Toei.

Marvel Productions was the subsiduary of Marvel, but it was closed down when Roger Corman bought the company and New World took over all productions. Hasbro folded Sunbow directly into its corporate structure, while keeping the name for a time.

Well, yeah, but that's like saying that every cartoon is essentially Korean or that every product we use is essentially Chinese or Spanish. I think that the point Double-O was trying to make is that it wouldn't be accurate to call the original Transformers or GI Joe "anime" because they were essentially Hasbro licenses (GI Joe moreso than even Transformers) and, as you have said, were designed and written pretty much in-house by Hasbro Sunbow/Marvel.

Animefan16 wrote:
I made a thread about the TMNT anime, and we all agreed that it sucked. Let's hope this doesn't.

There was a TMNT anime? I only remember the 80's show, and the newer, more current show on Fox Box. But please tell me more about this TMNT anime.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2004 5:23 pm Reply with quote
Comrade Red

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2004 5:56 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:

Oh sweet Jesus...that's horrific!!! >=(

This is just another reason why old licenses =/= anime.

Some might argue that Transformers is an exception, but it's not. It also doesn't work as an anime, IMO (RiD and Armada, at least...I haven't seen enough of Energon to make a claim on that).

I fear for GI Joe. Oh well...at least I can still purchase the Sunbow series on DVD...
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2004 7:03 pm Reply with quote
There were several decent Japanese Transformers shows back in the 80's. It's argued that their Season 4 "The Headmasters" is far superior to our Season 4 "Rebirth."

Still, it's far more accurate to call TF anime, since they've had Japanese connections since Day 1. Japanese partner (Takara), based on Japanese toy lines, and continued in Japan after it ended in the U.S.
Animefan16

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2004 7:40 pm Reply with quote
You think they'll japanamize it or something?
Comrade Red

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2004 9:40 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
There were several decent Japanese Transformers shows back in the 80's. It's argued that their Season 4 "The Headmasters" is far superior to our Season 4 "Rebirth."

Those shows I have only heard of and, sadly, have never had the chance to see. So, I guess for right now I'll just have to take your word for it. =\

Beatdigga wrote:
Still, it's far more accurate to call TF anime, since they've had Japanese connections since Day 1. Japanese partner (Takara), based on Japanese toy lines, and continued in Japan after it ended in the U.S.

Eh...that's debatable. Perhaps Transformers all-around, but I'm speaking specifically of the G1 Sunbow series. Despite the fact that it may have roots in a Japanese idea, the show was most decidedly American in presentation, storyline, and character design (it should be; it was produced along-side GI Joe, and both shows shared the same writers/designers). Thus, G1 Sunbow (specifically) really can't accurately be called "anime," despite its original inspiration. It may have its connections, but those connections are loose at best.

Animefan16 wrote:
You think they'll japanamize it or something?

I'm not really sure. That's part of it, yeah, but something just seems...off about the whole deal. "GI Joe as done in the anime art style" just does not roll off the tongue well, you know? I mean, it would ruin the whole experience for me if I could even /tell/ that it was in an anime art style, simply because the two ideas don't seem like they'd mesh well. But we'll see, I guess. I'm optimistic that it might actually turn out to have an atmosphere a bit like Metal Gear, in which case it could be very interesting and still be believable as an American (or even International) epic.

That TMNT anime still looks horrid...

Last edited by Comrade Red on Sat Sep 04, 2004 9:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Emerje

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2004 9:51 pm Reply with quote
Comrade Red wrote:
I think that the point Double-O was trying to make is that it wouldn't be accurate to call the original Transformers or GI Joe "anime" because they were essentially Hasbro licenses (GI Joe moreso than even Transformers) and, as you have said, were designed and written pretty much in-house by Hasbro Sunbow/Marvel.

No, he made it pretty clear that he thought that no Japanese companies were involved ("G.I. Joe was animated by Hasbro Sunbow, a subsidiary of Marvel. Japan had nothing to do about it.") which, of course, was wrong. So far no one has made the claim that G.I. Joe was anime or that this new project will be in this thread.

As for Transformers, that one goes both ways. There have only been 3 purely North American TF series (G1, BW, BM), however while the original started with Hasbro it ended closer to a co-production. Of the remaining 3 series that we've seen broadcast over here, RID was purely an import that Hasbro decided to go with to save money after an overwhelming fan reaction; Armada and Energon are both co-productions (and the 2005 series, Cybertron, will be as well) with Takara handling the majority of the animation production on their end. BTW, Cybertron will be using a new animation studio, I wonder if Gonzo could be that studio...

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Comrade Red

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2004 10:16 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
No, he made it pretty clear that he thought that no Japanese companies were involved ("G.I. Joe was animated by Hasbro Sunbow, a subsidiary of Marvel. Japan had nothing to do about it.") which, of course, was wrong. So far no one has made the claim that G.I. Joe was anime or that this new project will be in this thread.

Eh...again, they had about as much to do with it as a Korean animation studio had to do with Invader Zim; that is, they did the work, but had little to no say. If you want to nitpick, sure, Japan was involved...but the involvement was so miniscule that that minutiae doesn't really count.

That, and he said "nothing to do about it," which either means he meant "nothing to do with it," or "nothing to say about it." I chose to believe the latter.

Quote:
As for Transformers, that one goes both ways. There have only been 3 purely North American TF series (G1, BW, BM), however while the original started with Hasbro it ended closer to a co-production.

It still doesn't necessarily make it "anime."

Quote:
Of the remaining 3 series that we've seen broadcast over here, RID was purely an import that Hasbro decided to go with to save money after an overwhelming fan reaction; Armada and Energon are both co-productions (and the 2005 series, Cybertron, will be as well) with Takara handling the majority of the animation production on their end. BTW, Cybertron will be using a new animation studio, I wonder if Gonzo could be that studio...

Emerje

I'm not surprised with RiD, and Armada and Energon I had heard was a co-production when it was first reported in Wizard way back when. As long as it is quality (as I've heard Energon is), then it will do the license a great deal of good. =)

It will be interesting to see how Gonzo approaches Cybertron (if they are in fact the ones who will take the reigns, which would be logical). It might be a good indicator of how they'd handle the Real American Heroes.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 2:15 am Reply with quote
Does that mean we'll be reading a lot Flint/Shipwreck yaoi fanfics on the net now?
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 2:24 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Does that mean we'll be reading a lot Flint/Shipwreck yaoi fanfics on the net now?

Laughing Laughing Laughing

I hope not. But you probably WILL be seeing endless angst about Duke, Snake Eyes, and Scarlett.
Animefan16

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 3:42 pm Reply with quote
I thought that if there was going to be a GI Joe anime, Toei was gonna do it since they're the ones who animated the cartoon.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2