• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Lodoss Online Game's Global Rights Licensed by GameOn

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:22 pm Reply with quote
I like Record of Lodoss War and now I get to play the game finely awesome
Weiss_Yohji

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:17 pm Reply with quote
I may just play this, after having played Oblivion for so long.

Now, why hasn't Media Blasters re-released Record of Lodoss War? They've had it for almost a year now! Will they ever re-issue it or are they just going to sit on the license and let it rot?
Dakaran

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:23 pm Reply with quote
This is a must play for me! Smile And to Media Blaster, get a really nice release or give it to FUNIMATION >.<
John Casey

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:59 pm Reply with quote
As much as I love Lodoss War, truth is this feels like a very shallow cash-in, similar to that Shenmue MMO.

There's already plenty of fantasy online games, in which case this is guaranteed to be more or less inferior.

Somebody, name me a game based off an anime in which it trumps the competition of its designation genre. Exactly.
torontoanimemeetup

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:06 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The novels in turn inspired manga, two original video anime projects, a television anime series, and two animated film projects.

Two animated film?

As far as I know there never been any film ever made based on Lodoss series. There were the 2 anime series for the 90 and 98 but that's it.

The writer of this article really need to know what he's talking about..
Egan Loo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:18 pm Reply with quote
torontoanimemeetup wrote:
Quote:
The novels in turn inspired manga, two original video anime projects, a television anime series, and two animated film projects.

Two animated film?

As far as I know there never been any film ever made based on Lodoss series. There were the 2 anime series for the 90 and 98 but that's it.

The writer of this article really need to know what he's talking about..

Legend of Crystania - The Motion Picture

Welcome to Lodoss Island!
Youkai Warrior

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:32 pm Reply with quote
John Casey wrote:
As much as I love Lodoss War, truth is this feels like a very shallow cash-in, similar to that Shenmue MMO.

There's already plenty of fantasy online games, in which case this is guaranteed to be more or less inferior.

Somebody, name me a game based off an anime in which it trumps the competition of its designation genre. Exactly.

I love Record of Lodoss War, but I have to agree with this. The fact that they are making an online fantasy game based on Lodoss seems a lot like a shallow cash-in. There are many online fantasy games, this is nothing really new. It's as you say, it will be more or less inferior. However, I'm surprised that after all these years, Record of Lodoss War is remembered. But possibly only because of it's potential to be an online fantasy game like Warcraft and such. Anime cry
Paploo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:41 pm Reply with quote
Dakaran wrote:
This is a must play for me! Smile And to Media Blaster, get a really nice release or give it to FUNIMATION >.<

MB are on it, but are trying to find Blu-Ray quality materials first.
http://www.mania.com/aodvb/showthread.php?t=103628
kushiel

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:24 pm Reply with quote
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
KAtchan15

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:41 pm Reply with quote
John Casey wrote:
I agree...

Don't get me wrong...Lodoss is a pretty good series from what I remember, and I'm sure there are people that are going to play it, but it'll be hard for the game to gain or establish the same reputation as other highly populated prominent fantasy online games.

I honestly believe that's it's impossible to leave WoW for good. You'll always...ALWAYS go back. Always...

It only takes a couple of weeks or months. Even if takes years... People always come back to Azeroth. /sigh
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:38 pm Reply with quote
A series based on typical RPG sessions is being turned into a RPG. Isn't that kinda circular logic? It's like playing a game based on a series based on a game. (Like a Super Mario Bros game based on the Super Mario Bros series based on the Super Mario Bros games?) Laughing
WhosAsking

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:16 am Reply with quote
The fact that one of the people behind the original story helps things because back story will be one of the big factors in turning Lodoss into a fleshed-out MMO world, especially among the cult fans who continue to like the series. It has the potential for a good start, though, with the island's legendary cursed status. Drawing on that, creating the necessary elements for players to follow will take a considerable amount of thinking and following through (devil in the details and so on). I'll withhold judgment until it takes more shape.
torontoanimemeetup

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:23 pm Reply with quote
Legend of Crystania - The Motion Picture

Welcome to Lodoss Island!
[/quote]

Legend of Crystania... It was a OVA release in Japan.. AD Film released as a movie in North America.

As for Welcome to Lodoss Island? Is this some kind of a joke?
Egan Loo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:15 pm Reply with quote
torontoanimemeetup wrote:
Quote:

Legend of Crystania... It was a OVA release in Japan.. AD Film released as a movie in North America.

As for Welcome to Lodoss Island? Is this some kind of a joke?

The 1995 Legend of Crystania film predates its 1996-1997 original video anime sequel. The film was released in theaters in Japan. Similarly, Welcome to Lodoss Island was both a 1998 television anime series (aired with Record of Lodoss War: Chronicles of the Heroic Knight) and a 1998 theatrical film short (screened with the Maze Bakunetsu Jikuu: Tenpen Kyoui no Giant film).
Zhane Masaki

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:06 pm Reply with quote
Lodoss War coming as an MMORPG? Its about time!

I consider Lodoss to be one of the perennial classics of anime viewing for old-school otaku like me, especially those of us who grew up with d20s stashed in our back pockets.

I say, bring it on! Oh, and its BYOD: Bring Your Own Dice.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1