• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Borders Lays Off 45 With 300 More on the Line in July

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:02 pm Reply with quote
More happy news >_> *sigh* How unfortunate...
Mr Big200

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:25 pm Reply with quote
very... sad news
Anime Remix

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:27 pm Reply with quote
This sucks that this happened to Borders... Crying or Very sad
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:55 pm Reply with quote
Sigh more bad new if border goes then where do I get my manga its the only game in town
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:57 pm Reply with quote
Also, Borders sold off it's Day by Day Calender unit.

Good idea. Hopefully they art to stick to selling BOOKS instead of assorted crap like boardgames and candy.
catstigereye

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:34 pm Reply with quote
oh, happy day! more cut backs! whats next?

let's see.........................
Nineofclubs

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:48 pm Reply with quote
borders is really fighting hard, i imagine other companies wouldve folded em by now.
feitian

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:49 pm Reply with quote
It would be sad to see boarder goes. Its where I buy manga usually. I wonder if it is having problem because of the liquidity or just not making profit?
DTJB

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:01 am Reply with quote
Local rumor going round is that the Borders here in town is going to close, only what I heard so who knows.
marcos torres toledo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:48 am Reply with quote
This very alarming Borders is the only deceent bookstore in the Greater San Juan area in fact there is no decent bookstore here in Bayamon unless your into religious books if you what a good bookstore it's either Old San Juan local bookstores or Borders if it survives since there isn't even a libriary system as a back up here in Puerto Rico this avery serious crisis here. May Borders get thru it's problems and recover. Crying or Very sad
Jaymie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:20 am Reply with quote
Borders is basically done, guys. They're just delaying the inevitable. Online shopping has completely eclipsed buying stuff in person.
Redlinks

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:02 am Reply with quote
I find this to be very sad news. My local borders has also downsized our manga selection. It used to have a great selection, but it's all mostly mainstream and recent releases of popular series. -_-;
mike.motaku

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:08 am Reply with quote
"Borders has set a February 1 deadline for publishers to agree to treat Borders' current debts as loans."

Yeah. Good luck with that.

In the book biz, Borders has been considered dead for years, with some saying their biggest problem was figuring out how to dispose of the body.

Borders and B & N over-expanded and got screwed by the discounting mania. They used to be run by people who actually loved books. Now? They're being run into the ground by people who view books as just another product.
darcerin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:10 pm Reply with quote
I notice that the coupons seem to be thinning out. There wasn't one for last weekend, and the one that showed up in my inbox today was only from Tues-Thurs.

Honestly? I'd love to see them survive. But they have *got* to cut back on the amount of stuff in their store that isn't book related. That includes video games, toys, and do-it-yourself kits (although I do want that sushi kit...)

Good luck getting that loan, Borders. CareCredit (owned by GE Capital) wouldn't reopen my old line of credit with them several years after I'd paid it off, so I could use it to pay off my braces this past year. With near perfect credit, I still don't understand why they wouldn't reopen it. So I don't know how Borders is going to convince GE that THEY'RE going to be able to pay them back, seeing as they're in the toilet.

Should someone gobble them up in a takeover, I really feel for the employees. I've been through a retail takeover, and it's not fun.
LKK

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:44 pm Reply with quote
darcerin wrote:
I notice that the coupons seem to be thinning out. There wasn't one for last weekend, and the one that showed up in my inbox today was only from Tues-Thurs.

I got a coupon for last weekend. It ran from Friday through Monday. Today, I got the coupon for Tuesday through Thursday. Don't know why you didn't get your coupon for last weekend, but some of us did.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2