• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll Licensing VP Rob Pereyda Steps Down

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
clipeuh

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:29 am Reply with quote
*Rob Pereyda, not Roy.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:30 am Reply with quote
Quote:
"wouldn't be leaving if things weren't so strong

I wonder what this translates to in non business speak? I have a guess but I am not sure if it's accurate or not.

My guess, he feels he isn't paid enough or wants to quit because the work load is becoming more and more stressful.
Zilan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:33 am Reply with quote
I hope this doesn't mean bad news for Crunchyroll.
agila61

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:37 am Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
Quote:

I wonder what this translates to in non business speak? I have a guess but I am not sure if it's accurate or not.

My guess, he feels he isn't paid enough or wants to quit because the work load is becoming more and more stressful.
There's also the possibility that the job is settling down into more of a routine, and he wants to move onto something more interesting.
cyberbeing

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:23 am Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
Quote:

I read it more that he viewed Crunchyroll as a stepping stone career, and after 3 years of experience helping Crunchyroll acquire content for their core business to moderate success, that was all he needed to look good his resume and meet requirements to land a better job somewhere.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:43 am Reply with quote
Ah, farewell Rob.

I will miss your free lunches on CR's dime and your limitless enthusiasm for old school super robot theme songs...
Kit-Tsukasa

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:54 am Reply with quote
cyberbeing wrote:
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
Quote:

I read it more that he viewed Crunchyroll as a stepping stone career, and after 3 years of experience helping Crunchyroll acquire content for their core business to moderate success, that was all he needed to look good his resume and meet requirements to land a better job somewhere.

^this
He really built a marketing and entrepreneurship character over the past couple years just from Crunchyroll.

As for the future of Crunchyroll, unless the rest of the crew is a bunch of idiots and have no idea how to deal with Japanese animation and marketing staff, Crunchyroll should be fine. However, only time will tell. Next season is going to be a "big determining factor for them since many of their titles that they ongoing titles are expected to end:
Super Robot Wars, Tegami Bachi Reverse, Hime-chen (I think it's 50 or 51), Rio, Cardfight, Freezing, Mitsudomoe 2, Dragon Crisis, Kore wa Zombie desu ka, Level E, and Hourou Musuko. And as most of us know, Bleach is rumored to be ending soon, either the end of this season or next season. If it doesn't then they're in slightly better shape.

The only titles that may potentially carry over are Beelzebub and Gosick (still awaiting confirmation on 12 or 24?). If I'm not mistaken, the only other titles besides these two are Naruto and Fairy Tail equating to possibly 5 series at most remaining, 4 of which are typical shounen genre shows.

Anyways, back to my main point, the true test is what Crunchyroll can do next season when it looks like a piece of crap at the moment. There are a couple sequels including Gintama season 2 and Kami nomi 2 that I expect Crunchyroll to pick up given their trend. There are a few other shows like Stein's; Gate or Yugioh Zexal but I doubt they'll pick up stuff like Maria Holic 2 and Hen Zemi.
stagedive_25

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:16 am Reply with quote
I've known Rob for a couple of years and he's a freakin prodigy. I can't be older than 25 but he's done alot in his career with Capcom, AOD, and Crunchy.

I think he was reponsible for getting Udon to work on comic books for Capcom. He was definatly with Crunchyroll around there Round A funding; he definatly helped change CR's damning reputation into a legit leader in anime industry.

I'm not singing his praise; I'm just jealous of his career

Confused
everydaygamer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:39 am Reply with quote
i imagine he's just the kind of guy who doesn't like to stay in one place for too long.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:01 am Reply with quote
Well, as long as Crunchyroll as a company continues on in his absense and still brings us lots of future simulcasted anime I don't really mind. Hope you got something else lined up though dude. It's not good to be out of work with the economy the way it is.
mudduck454

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:49 am Reply with quote
His statement, to me translates to this.

" I was only here to get crunchyroll on their feet, and that challenge is over, I am no longer needed, time to move on to more challenging things."

so if the rest of the crew screws that up, they can only blame themselves, not him. some people will only stay at a job if it is challenging, once it settles down to a normal type of job, it gets boring, and they need a new challenge.
prime_pm

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:17 am Reply with quote
"My work here's done. I'm needed elsewhere now. I'm needed wherever outlaws rule the West, wherever innocent women and children are afraid to walk the streets, wherever a man cannot live in simple dignity, wherever a people cry out for justice."
The Mad Manga Massacre

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:19 am Reply with quote
prime_pm wrote:
"My work here's done. I'm needed elsewhere now. I'm needed wherever outlaws rule the West, wherever innocent women and children are afraid to walk the streets, wherever a man cannot live in simple dignity, wherever a people cry out for justice."

Very Happy Okay, this one brought a smile to my face.
zensunni

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:31 am Reply with quote
The Mad Manga Massacre wrote:
prime_pm wrote:

Very Happy Okay, this one brought a smile to my face.

Same here! I hope the Crunchyroll crew maintains the contacts he obviously has built for them. They have nearly half the new shows this Winter, and several of them are high quality.

@Kit-Tsukasa - Freezing is a Funi title, not Crunchy.
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:51 am Reply with quote
Being a CRoller myself, I'm sad to see him, though I barely know him. Well, good luck to you Rob. Have fun where-ever and whatever you intend to do next!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2