• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Blue Exorcist, Eva 2.22, K-ON, Durarara Promos Streamed

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
3rdHalf

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:44 pm Reply with quote
Huge K-ON fan here!

Watched the show from very beginning! - Loved it(Still love it)
The dub Trailer gave me a goose-bumps, in a bad way.
No! I'm not one of those Dub-hater-otakus, but one I will say: No moe is better than bad moe.

DRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!
Watched it from the beginning too, but sadly I don't have anything to say about it's dub, because I can't watch that trailer(regional restrictions).
But I hope that it will be at least half as good, as Baccano dub.

Evangelion: 2.22
Well...
Finally!
Anime Remix

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:06 pm Reply with quote
The dub for Durarara!! was good (already got Part 1 DVD). The bloopers was extremely funny (they should of added the bloopers to DVD!) Laughing

I'm thinking about getting into K-On! now since it's getting a english dub (etc), but if I buy the first DVD, I'm only getting 4 episodes for $20.98. It still amaze me how a company could still release singles. Don't know how many episodes this series has, but I'm sure Bandai could of released a part 1 (having the first 12 or 13 episodes), then a part 2, etc.

Looking forward to Viz releasing the Blue Exorcist manga in America this year (seems like a interesting series). Also looking forward to the anime. Very Happy

No comment for Eva 2.22 since I'm not really a fan of that series. Neutral
jtiskool305

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:18 pm Reply with quote
Director and creator of Darker than Black is directing this "Blue Exorcist" show...... I'm in!! Smile Now I'm going to go read the 18 chapters that are out so far Very Happy
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:31 pm Reply with quote
Wow... I've heard great dubs (Gundam Wing, Cowboy Bebop), good dubs (Trigun, Loddos War), and horrible dubs (Gundam SEED). This one takes the month-old-smelly-infested cake.

For the LAST time: stop trying to emulate cutesy Japanese voices. You can NOT pull it off. It can not, and must not be done in English.

As for Eva 2.22, well, I can't watch the trailer because of restriction. Too bad Funi, I've already seen the movie, in HD months ago.

Last edited by DmonHiro on Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Myaow

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:34 pm Reply with quote
I am so excited for Eva 2.22! It's sooo glorious. brb guys, SHAKING AND CRYING until April comes.

And I wish I had more monies so I could get K-ON! as it comes out. :\
PBsallad

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:43 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
Wow... I've heard great dubs (Gundam Wing, Cowboy Bebop), good dubs (Trigun, Loddos War), and horrible dubs (Gundam SEED). This one takes the month-old-smelly-infested cake.

For the LAST time: stop trying to emulate cutesy Japanese voices. You can NOT pull it off. It can not, and must not be done in English.

The only one that sounded cutesy to me was... The narrator, Yui I think. The others sounded fine.

Eva 2.22... the trailer was only 10 seconds Sad
Looked great though.
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:13 pm Reply with quote
I never seen K-On! and I probably won't until my brother gets the DVDs and shoves them into my hand to force me to watch them, but I get the feeling Yui's voice is going to drive me insane. It's just so...squeaky. The rest of the cast, from what I'm hearing, is fine, but I get the feeling I'm going to really be irritated by the end of Episode One with Yui.

And wow, love the bloopers for Durarara!!. It sucks that it seems like these aren't on the DVDs - it looks like Bandai did the same thing they did with the bloopers for the Eureka Seven movie and showed them in an exclusive way (at the theater or online) instead of making them an extra on the DVD release. Ah well.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:32 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:

Me being the die hard dub fan I am, I have to agree. I love Stephanie Sheh and think she's a fine actresses, but I hate how California directors always make her use her Mikuru voice. To me, that's the only time the helium sucking has ever worked (well, Akira from Lucky Star, too). Orihime, Eureka, and now Yui all sound incredibly awkward and get a tad annoying over time. I wish they'd either let her use a higher tone of her natural voice (which is great), or get someone else with a naturally high pitched voice like Carrie Savage or Melissa Fahn. Or, you know, do what DmonHiro said and not try to emulate the Japanese voices and go for a cutesy English sound like how Laura Bailey does Tohru in Fruits Basket.

I know a lot of people dislike how Funimation does dubs, and understand why, but they know what does and does not work in English and aren't afraid to tinker around to make it work, and I love that. California does have most of the elite dubs, but the ones that aren't mostly sound like they're trying way too hard to be the Japanese version in English. It's almost like they're scared to think outside the parameters the Japanese voice actors and writers set up, which shows when they don't translate attack names, don't dub insert songs, and have Stephanie Sheh be your go-to cutesy voice.

On a more positive note, I loved what I heard of Ritsu, although Mio sounded stilted, but I'll give it the benefit of the doubt since she only said, like, three words. I may be onto something, though, since I've never been a fan of Cristina V the actress (I like -not love- her singing).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
John Casey

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:45 pm Reply with quote
I've heard somewhere they they skimped out on the Russian dialogue in the DRRR! dub.

I've been waiting for somebody who already got the DVDs and see if they can confirm that.
Sanosuke_Inara

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:49 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
As for Eva 2.22, well, I can't watch the trailer because of restriction. Too bad Funi, I've already seen the movie, in HD months ago.
But have you seen it in 1080p on a 60" with a sweet sound system? Wink
chocoburger

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:54 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:

Totally agree. Super-syrupy moe cute sounds completely unnatural in English. No one talks like that! It's better to go with an equivalent English voice than to try to imitate the Japanese actor.

I preferred Yui's voice in the Animax dub to this one. The others' voices were okay, although I wish Ritsu's were a little gruffer.

Another thing: please tell me they're going to dub the songs. I hate it when all they do is translate the voices. It makes a show choppy. (English...English...English...time out for a Japanese song...oh, back to English!) Ugh!

Well, I'll still buy this show. I love K-On!
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:55 pm Reply with quote
Sanosuke_Inara wrote:
;_;But have you seen it in 1080p on a 60" with a sweet sound system? Wink

STFU... I don't HAVE a 1080p system with a 60'' HDTV and high-end 5.1 system.... Anime cry

;_;All I have is a 720p system with a 32'' HDTB and medium-end 5.1 system;_;

PS: WATCH THAT MOVIE. I don't care if you have to watch it on your phone, you have to watch it.

Last edited by DmonHiro on Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sanosuke_Inara

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:56 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
STFU... I don't HAVE a 1080p system with a 60'' HDTV and high-end 5.1 system.... Anime cry
*pats on back* It's gonna be alright, bro. Sad

xD.

Last edited by Sanosuke_Inara on Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
K.o.R

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:56 pm Reply with quote
Man, you guys had me worried there. I kinda like Yui's voice Very Happy

Did Mugi get any lines? I couldn't tell...

Mio... yeah, same here - sounded a bit wooden but it was only one line so not going to judge yet.

Ritsu - not how I imagined her sounding but not bad.

Roll on release day Smile
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:19 pm Reply with quote
I'm more of a sub person, but the dub of K-ON! sounds pretty good. But, it's not like I'll be watching it anytime soon.

Onto Eva, I need to get started on the damn series already.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3