• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Welcome to the Space Show, Time of Eve Screened in NYC

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:47 pm Reply with quote
Hopefully this might entail a future DVD release of both titles at some point. I haven't seen Time of Eve but would like to, but Welcome to the Space Show really served at Otakon.
Jozoiscute

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:16 pm Reply with quote
(Keeps fingers crossed)
Oh please let this be a sign that someone will pick up "Welcome to the Space Show"....I've wanted to see it for over a year now.....

Anime smallmouth
Megiddo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:26 pm Reply with quote
Oh please let some film festival in Texas or somewhere close play Time of Eve.

And please let some R1 company take a chance to license Time of Eve.

A movie/ONA of such quality deserves much more attention than it has received thus far.
Emerje

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:08 pm Reply with quote
Time of Eve is definitely on my "I can't believe this hasn't been licensed yet!" list. It's a great movie/oav, that a lot of people really should watch if you want a good sci-fi story in a believable real world setting. I could really go for them making more if there was ever a chance.

Welcome to the Space Show on the other hand... not so much. I watched it at Otakon and really wanted to like it, but it really didn't come together too well for me. It spends such a large amount of time trying to set up the characters and the Universe that ending felt incredibly rushed to the point that I just didn't care anymore. To be fair I felt the exact same way about Oblivion Island, too, so maybe this kind of movie just doesn't work for me. I think it would have been more effective as an OAV series, especially since the movie could easily be broken up into distinct "acts" as it is. And Pochi just creeped me out. His constant talking about love and blushing around the youngest girl in the group wasn't simply him trying to be nice to her, it was pretty clear he was in love with her. Yeah, a 30-something college professor intergalactic explorer alien dog (that still lives with his parents) and a 7-ish year old girl, I'm sure that's legal somewhere in the Universe. Rolling Eyes

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:52 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
A movie/ONA of such quality deserves much more attention than it has received thus far.

When one considers the degree to which it has been officially exposed to English-speaking fanbases, one may be inclined to suggest the contrary. As a particularly thoughtful work, the merits of which resting upon conscientiously crafted subtleties of behaviour and character interaction, the general reaction to it has been quite adequate.
The mainstream anime-viewing audiences haven't spoken of the work with concerted acclaim, as could be expected, but those with sensibilities well-suited to appreciating it have been far from reserved in their praise.

That said, a physical release would be welcomed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
BasouKazuma

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:18 pm Reply with quote
pachy_boy wrote:
Hopefully this might entail a future DVD release of both titles at some point. I haven't seen Time of Eve but would like to, but Welcome to the Space Show really served at Otakon.

We (Crunchyroll) have Time of Eve available if you want to watch it.
http://www.crunchyroll.com/time-of-eve
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:24 pm Reply with quote
BasouKazuma wrote:
We (Crunchyroll) have Time of Eve available if you want to watch it.
http://www.crunchyroll.com/time-of-eve

Wasn't aware, thanks for the heads-up!
Berserkenstein

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:36 pm Reply with quote
I have seen "Time of Eve" at Crunchyroll and I've got to say that I really love this anime. The artwork itself is amazing and the characters are great. The only bad part was that I felt the anime ended too soon!
Megiddo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:48 pm Reply with quote
The movie gives a bit of detail to Nagi's past, so I'd highly recommend it (or just check out the ending credits).
Errinundra

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:25 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
...(or just check out the ending credits).

And what comes after. What did you make of her knuckles?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:11 pm Reply with quote
Hopefully this will get someone off their butts and we'll finally see a license of ToE, although the JP BD has english subtitles and isn't too crazy expensive.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:47 pm Reply with quote
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
although the JP BD has english subtitles and isn't too crazy expensive.

Really? Cause I'm not seeing that

@errinundra: I haven't been able to see the super high quality version, so I couldn't make out too much. From what I've seen of screencaps though, it's definitely an interesting and plausible theory.
Vracer111

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:51 pm Reply with quote
Mr. sickVisionz,
Let me know where you have found a subtitled TOE Release. The only thing preventing me from buying the Japanese Blu-Ray release is lack of subtitles.

Last edited by Vracer111 on Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ingraman

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:55 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
Time of Eve is definitely on my "I can't believe this hasn't been licensed yet!" list. It's a great movie/oav, that a lot of people really should watch if you want a good sci-fi story in a believable real world setting.

I watched it on Crunchyroll, and I liked it enough to buy the reasonably-priced Japanese ONA BD. It's got english subtitles that aren't too bad. I noticed the occasional spelling error, but I haven't checked them against the CR script to see if the Japanese release used the same translation. I wouldn't mind seeing a US BD release. I'd probably double-dip.

Quote:
Welcome to the Space Show on the other hand... not so much. I watched it at Otakon and really wanted to like it, but it really didn't come together too well for me. It spends such a large amount of time trying to set up the characters and the Universe that ending felt incredibly rushed to the point that I just didn't care anymore.

That seems to be the most common review/comment that I've seen about the film, but I haven't had the chance to see anything other than the first 15-20 minutes that were officially streamed. I've got the english-subtitled Japanese BD on order with Amazon (both the SE and the LE, and I'm trying to decide which copy to drop, or cancel both of 'em), but with a trailer for the movie included on the recent R.O.D BD box, I'm presuming that it's under consideration for a US release via Aniplex USA. I figure that I've got 1-2 days to make a cancellation decision before it starts processing for shipping, since it's got a 9 Feb release date.
hissatsu01

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:56 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
although the JP BD has english subtitles and isn't too crazy expensive.

Really? Cause I'm not seeing that

Wrong version. That's the movie version. That has no subs, is more expensive, but does have some additional animation the episodes didn't. There's a recent release (past few weeks) on BD of the original OVA versions. It does have English subs, is cheaper, but the subs do have quite a few typos (they're the same as the CR subs as far as I know). I have the movie BD, so I don't really feel like springing a second time for it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2