• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Clash of the Tytans

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:22 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
A lot of people confuse what was said, Riza stated that when Amestris is turned into a democracy, the soldiers who fought in Ishval might be convicted of war crimes. It's a danger that Mustang ignores simply because he wants to see Amestris become a democracy so badly. At no point in time does Mustang ever want anyone to consider him a bad guy.

Which is funny because spoiler[Roy, Riza, and the others never pay for their war crimes and Amestris doesn't become a democracy. And it's never really addressed, aside from "Uh... Roy's helping to rebuild Ishbal." ]

But that's a completely different topic.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
nakobass

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:03 pm Reply with quote
Out of all the Gundam series I have seen, Gundam 00 is my favorite and has the most realistic plan for peace. The only true way to bring 3 enemies together is to give them all a common enemy, The Gundams. Then through understanding one another that peace is lasting but not perfect.

To understand Gundam 00 you have to learn about the Plan Aleolia came up with. It explains everything.

The Gundam 00 series and movie was great. Truly one of the best anime series I have seen in a long time. I really hope they release an OVA or a squeal in the future.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:23 pm Reply with quote
nakobass wrote:
Out of all the Gundam series I have seen, Gundam 00 is my favorite and has the most realistic plan for peace. The only true way to bring 3 enemies together is to give them all a common enemy, The Gundams. Then through understanding one another that peace is lasting but not perfect.

To understand Gundam 00 you have to learn about the Plan Aleolia came up with. It explains everything.

The Gundam 00 series and movie was great. Truly one of the best anime series I have seen in a long time. I really hope they release an OVA or a squeal in the future.

No, the only true way to bring enemies together is to begin peaceful relationships and becoming a trading partner with them. The Entente cordiale between France and Britain in 1904 is a perfect example. The obvious example of enemies fighting together still being enemies is World War II, where the Cold War begin almost immediately after.

Common sense would have any countries forming an alliance and combining their armies in some fashion. You don't need to combine countries which is a drastic decision, especially when you have different cultures, and ethnicity. I mean just look at what happened with Sudan.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:28 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
nakobass wrote:

No, the only true way to bring enemies together is to begin peaceful relationships and becoming a trading partner with them. The Entente cordiale between France and Britain in 1904 is a perfect example. The obvious example of enemies fighting together still being enemies is World War II, where the Cold War begin almost immediately after.

Hey, the U.S. is trying to unite the world against one true enemy: terrorists! How's that working out? Laughing
nakobass

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:43 pm Reply with quote
[/quote]

Common sense would have any countries forming an alliance and combining their armies in some fashion. You don't need to combine countries which is a drastic decision, especially when you have different cultures, and ethnicity. I mean just look at what happened with Sudan.[/quote]

Only thing that does is get the Governments richer and the people of the other countries pissed off at each other. I was in the Middle East with the US trading patner Saudi Arabia, THEY HATE OUR GUTS!

Believe me, if some alien race or advance civilization started bombing the hell out of the planet, everybody would come together really fast.

Last edited by nakobass on Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Otaking09

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:45 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Hey, the U.S. is trying to unite the world against one true enemy: terrorists! How's that working out?

At least, an effort to unite was there. Even if it's in name only, the notion is spread, and it's up to individuals to pursue.
Last time I checked, peace is acquired through struggle, not by having someone hand it to them.
If nothing else, C. Being, is fanservice for those who see peace's acquisition being easy in thought. And it is easier said than done.

And "terrorists" is basically another word for "anyone who threatens peace", it isn't a specific target. Have you tried shooting practice targets in the dark?
nakobass

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:47 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Charred Knight wrote:
nakobass wrote:

Hey, the U.S. is trying to unite the world against one true enemy: terrorists! How's that working out? Laughing

Only problem with that is not all of those people are terrorists, some of them are the opposition to a supressive government.

And a lot of the terrorism is mostly because the US support Dictators and the people of those countries are pissed off because of it. Just look at Egypt.
nakobass

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:33 pm Reply with quote
Another thing I like about Gundam 00 is it the first Gundam series to acknowledge the existents of Aliens in the Universe.

I wish most people today could do that. There is so much history and knowledge out there, and most people don't even realize it.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:33 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol, keep it on topic. This is an anime board, not your political soapbox. Take your agenda where it belongs and lets keep this thread on topic.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:34 pm Reply with quote
Don't really want to piss of any mods so I am not going to talk about politics here.

Last edited by Charred Knight on Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
nakobass

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:39 pm Reply with quote
Keonyn wrote:
enurtsol, keep it on topic. This is an anime board, not your political soapbox. Take your agenda where it belongs and lets keep this thread on topic.

Aliens and political stuff was in Gundam 00. That's on topic.
nakobass

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:46 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
nakobass wrote:

Only thing that does is get the Governments richer and the people of the other countries pissed off at each other. I was in the Middle East with the US trading patner Saudi Arabia, THEY HATE OUR GUTS!

Believe me, if some alien race or advance civilization started bombing the hell out of the planet, everybody would come together really fast.

The Middle East hates us for several reasons most of which is meddling into the affairs of the various countries, not because America buys Saudi Arabia's oil.

I totally agree. Maybe if we stop meddling, the Middle East wouldn't hate the US so much. But then there are the Opium fields in Afghanistan run by the CIA, so I guess it's going to be a while.

See that's the point of Gundam 00, they became the world's enemy and destroyed sourses of war like drugs, political gains, and unitied the world against them.
Takeyo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:53 pm Reply with quote
nakobass wrote:
Another thing I like about Gundam 00 is it the first Gundam series to acknowledge the existents of Aliens in the Universe.

Do you mean besides Gundam SEED back in 2002?

Quote:
I wish most people today could do that. There is so much history and knowledge out there, and most people don't even realize it.

Wait, what!?
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:55 pm Reply with quote
nakobass wrote:

See that's the point of Gundam 00, they became the world's enemy and destroyed sourses of war like drugs, political gains, and unitied the world against them.

I understand that, but that doesn't result in a lasting alliance, also the portrayal of the movie has Celestial Being basically being hailed as heroes, so it's not like Celestial Being will always be this ever present villain to keep the nations united

Last edited by Charred Knight on Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
nakobass

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:59 pm Reply with quote
Takeyo wrote:
nakobass wrote:

Do you mean besides Gundam SEED back in 2002?
Seed didn't have any aliens in it.

Quote:

Wait, what!?

Sep 26, 2010 National Press Club. See for yourself.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7