Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Clash of the Tytans


Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
nakobass



Joined: 28 Dec 2010
Posts: 42

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:03 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
nakobass wrote:


See that's the point of Gundam 00, they became the world's enemy and destroyed sourses of war like drugs, political gains, and unitied the world against them.


I understand that, but that doesn't result in a lasting alliance, also the portrayal of the movie has Celestial Being basically being hailed as heroes.


Yeah, that's why CB was still active after the new Goverment took power. They knew they would still be needed.

As for being heros, Setsuna and CB did save all of Humanity from being assimilated by the ELS. I think that counts.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Charred Knight



Joined: 29 Sep 2008
Posts: 3020

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:05 pm Reply with quote
nakobass wrote:
Charred Knight wrote:
nakobass wrote:


See that's the point of Gundam 00, they became the world's enemy and destroyed sourses of war like drugs, political gains, and unitied the world against them.


I understand that, but that doesn't result in a lasting alliance, also the portrayal of the movie has Celestial Being basically being hailed as heroes.


Yeah, that's why CB was still active after the new Goverment took power. They knew they would still be needed.

As for being heros, Setsuna and CB did save all of Humanity from being assimilated by the ELS. I think that counts.


What good can Celestial Being do? I mean it's not like any of them are leaders who are able to united the divided cultures of the world. It's not like Setsuna can erase the racism that is present world wide. Also the movie hailing Celestial Being as heroes takes place at the beginning.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Takeyo



Joined: 25 Mar 2008
Posts: 736

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:12 pm Reply with quote
@nakobass: I remember the presentation. If that's all it takes to convince you of not only the existence of extraterrestrial life but its having visited our world, then, um, keep watching the skies, I guess. The truth is out there. . . .

As for SEED, did you miss the the whole George Glenn Whalestone bit?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Krotchstak



Joined: 05 Feb 2010
Posts: 43

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:14 pm Reply with quote
Otaking09 wrote:
And, if Victory is the mecha ver. of Grave of the Fireflies, then I look forward to that too!


Ehh, I dunno about that. Victory kills off many characters and does so often, but it's with a frequency that makes it nearly impossible to care about their deaths.

Grave of the Fireflies, a hard-hitting, emotional look at children in wartime, is best replicated in the Gundam franchise by the afore-mentioned 0080. THAT is like the GoftF of mecha.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Otaking09



Joined: 24 Feb 2009
Posts: 613

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:53 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

Ehh, I dunno about that. Victory kills off many characters and does so often, but it's with a frequency that makes it nearly impossible to care about their deaths.

Grave of the Fireflies, a hard-hitting, emotional look at children in wartime, is best replicated in the Gundam franchise by the afore-mentioned 0080. THAT is like the GoftF of mecha.


I did indeed love the build-up of events that wonderfully culminated in the climax in of 0080.
I never thought to compare it to Fireflies...

I heard though, that Victory has a sense of weariness and sorrow that no other Gundam has.
And when you say they kill off characters quick, do mean "standbys", episodic, minors, or supporting?
Or do you mean, that it's manner of killing is to the degree that it doesn't feel even feel beneficial to the story?

I don't know what to expect from Victory. It's the last Gundam that has me interested, and it's also the vaguest I know of.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail My Anime My Manga
nakobass



Joined: 28 Dec 2010
Posts: 42

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:56 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
nakobass wrote:
Charred Knight wrote:
nakobass wrote:


See that's the point of Gundam 00, they became the world's enemy and destroyed sourses of war like drugs, political gains, and unitied the world against them.


I understand that, but that doesn't result in a lasting alliance, also the portrayal of the movie has Celestial Being basically being hailed as heroes.


Yeah, that's why CB was still active after the new Goverment took power. They knew they would still be needed.

As for being heros, Setsuna and CB did save all of Humanity from being assimilated by the ELS. I think that counts.


What good can Celestial Being do? I mean it's not like any of them are leaders who are able to united the divided cultures of the world. It's not like Setsuna can erase the racism that is present world wide. Also the movie hailing Celestial Being as heroes takes place at the beginning.


Your talking about that super robot movie Saji saw. That was just an inside joke about how the gundams are so powerful they could be super robots. CB never expected total lasting peace. I think the major point in the Plan was not to take war into Outer Space and to help people understand one another.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
nakobass



Joined: 28 Dec 2010
Posts: 42

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:01 pm Reply with quote
Takeyo wrote:
@nakobass: I remember the presentation. If that's all it takes to convince you of not only the existence of extraterrestrial life but its having visited our world, then, um, keep watching the skies, I guess. The truth is out there. . . .

As for SEED, did you miss the the whole George Glenn Whalestone bit?


I have never seen anything with my own eyes, but when 10% of 6 billion people are seeing the same thing, there is something to it. And I was in the Military, You don't joke around when your guarding nuclear missles.

I remember that, but it really didn't have anything to do with Seed/or Destiny's plot. Gundam 00 contact with aliens was in Aeolia's plan from the beginning.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
tuxedocat
He started itHe started it


Joined: 14 Dec 2009
Posts: 2112

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:03 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
See, I don't think Gundam fans really understand just how confusing your franchise is. Shocked


I was just like you. Now I'm a total fan. More women seem to like Wing and Seed. I had a better reaction to the original (Universal Century) than you did, but I went in not expecting to like it but also determined to give it a good ten episode try. By then I was hooked.

Erin re: Shelf Life wrote:
I was too busy wondering what kind of shampoo these guys use for their ridiculously long hair to care much about the battle strategy meetings


My brother, the bishie, swears by Biolage strengthening shampoo, though he would tell you that conditioning is more important
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
shamisen the great



Joined: 08 Jun 2010
Posts: 521

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:39 pm Reply with quote
I agree that realistically speaking, Celestial Being's plan is fundamentally flawed and unsustainable, but I still found the show enjoyable. The plot was exciting, the animation was beautiful, and it had one of the least annoying casts in a Gundam series. At the end of the day, we're talking about a franchise with giant robots fighting each other. There's got to be a little suspension of disbelief.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
nakobass



Joined: 28 Dec 2010
Posts: 42

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:07 pm Reply with quote
shamisen the great wrote:
I agree that realistically speaking, Celestial Being's plan is fundamentally flawed and unsustainable, but I still found the show enjoyable. The plot was exciting, the animation was beautiful, and it had one of the least annoying casts in a Gundam series. At the end of the day, we're talking about a franchise with giant robots fighting each other. There's got to be a little suspension of disbelief.


I like all the Gundam pilots compared to only a few or non from other Gundam series. And I enjoyed how they almost had a major robot battle in every episode. All that talking for 3 or more episodes really got on my nerves in Gundam Seed, that and all the clip show battles. There were almost none in Gundam 00.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
enurtsol



Joined: 01 May 2007
Posts: 10208

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:16 am Reply with quote
Keonyn wrote:
enurtsol, keep it on topic. This is an anime board, not your political soapbox. Take your agenda where it belongs and lets keep this thread on topic.


Sorry Keonyn, I shall refrain. Wasn't trying to be political. Just pointing out that, if one looks around, Celestial Being's plan isn't all that far-fetched. And if one finds that intriguing, then they should also find intriguing what's happening in the real world. S'all. Laughing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DangerMouse



Joined: 25 Mar 2009
Posts: 1504

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:52 am Reply with quote
Big Hed wrote:
spoiler[GN-0000 turning into a freakin' field of rainbow flowers at the end of the movie.]


Glad you liked the show too, and BTW maybe it'll help knowing for this little nitpick... this never happened, watch the scene again, spoiler[it didn't turn into anything at all, it's just a "cloaking device" effect (like the one that rendered the Gundam's mostly invisible to the naked eye in S1/S2 when they were in standby mode hiding in the field prior to a mission and the Ptolomy's limited cloaking field) blending Setsuna's newly upgraded mobile suit into the garden, you can see the effect as it spreads across the armor during that final panning shot, it doesn't change at all you can see some of the edges of the real traditional colors of the suit as it gets covered by the projection.]

nakobass wrote:
Out of all the Gundam series I have seen, Gundam 00 is my favorite and has the most realistic plan for peace. The only true way to bring 3 enemies together is to give them all a common enemy, The Gundams. Then through understanding one another that peace is lasting but not perfect.

To understand Gundam 00 you have to learn about the Plan Aleolia came up with. It explains everything.

The Gundam 00 series and movie was great. Truly one of the best anime series I have seen in a long time. I really hope they release an OVA or a squeal in the future.


Agreed. 00 has joined my truly favorite series and I'd love to see them do another work in the 00 timeline.

Also 00 and the so far really good Unicorn OVAs coming back-to-back has been wonderful and gotten me back anticipating every shred of upcoming Gundam news/rumors and what might be next.

nakobass wrote:
I like all the Gundam pilots compared to only a few or non from other Gundam series. And I enjoyed how they almost had a major robot battle in every episode. All that talking for 3 or more episodes really got on my nerves in Gundam Seed, that and all the clip show battles. There were almost none in Gundam 00.


Yeah, the pacing was extremely solid in my opinion, I thought there was plenty of time spread for talking, maneuverings and strategies, and action.

Same here I liked all the lead Gundam pilots in 00 and as a nice surprise for a change I actually liked the entire bridge crew (Sumeragi and co.) throughout both seasons/movie and not just one or two of them which also made a strong positive impact for me, as well as a ton of the supporting pilots and characters.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
GokuMew2



Joined: 15 Dec 2007
Posts: 1502
Location: Tokyo, Japan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:47 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Ultimately I should not be laughing at Gundam. Gundam 00 takes itself pretty seriously, (Haro balls provide some comic relief) so why can't I take it seriously? I suppose I just can't buy into the premise. Celestial Being's plan is to stop war forever… by making more war? That's the plan?


Celestial Being was created to focus everyone's anger on them and get the world to unite together to fight against them. By being the source of trouble, everyone would come together in order to defeat them.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Mohawk52



Joined: 16 Oct 2003
Posts: 7201
Location: England, UK

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:07 pm Reply with quote
GokuMew2 wrote:
Quote:
Ultimately I should not be laughing at Gundam. Gundam 00 takes itself pretty seriously, (Haro balls provide some comic relief) so why can't I take it seriously? I suppose I just can't buy into the premise. Celestial Being's plan is to stop war forever… by making more war? That's the plan?


Celestial Being was created to focus everyone's anger on them and get the world to unite together to fight against them. By being the source of trouble, everyone would come together in order to defeat them.
And once they did both side would eventually slip back into squabbling between themselves only to degenerate into war once again making the effort completely a waste of time and space. We just can't help ourselves. Rolling Eyes
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group