• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Where do you spend most of your anime [related] budget?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Polls
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Where do you spend most of your anime budget?
DVD
53%
 53%  [ 88 ]
BD
8%
 8%  [ 14 ]
Manga
23%
 23%  [ 39 ]
Novels
0%
 0%  [ 1 ]
Figures
7%
 7%  [ 13 ]
Games
2%
 2%  [ 4 ]
Others
3%
 3%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 165

egoist

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:46 pm Reply with quote
Oh. I don't care what others think of my figures. Sincerely, you can come home and criticize them and the fact that I spent money on it, as long as you don't touch it. Yes, if you touch it I'm so kicking you out of my house and never letting you in again.
Sanosuke_Inara

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:49 pm Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:
There's nothing to forgive. I take great pride in giving people the willies over my collection. If I don't get a raised eyebrow or a twisted face, my collection has failed (watching service repair people enter my home is a true bonus).
Lolz, okay--I just wanted to make sure I wasn't stepping on anybody's toes. And I'm still sorry, anyway. Surprised

PetrifiedJello wrote:
I should point out my "stupid" remark is on par with KoH's in that it is stupid to buy something that's not appreciated. No one on this planet's going to say throwing away money is smart, and that's precisely what DVD buyers do when the purchase then collects dust.
I'm not sure if it's just the way you worded this paragraph or what, but I can totally agree with you on this one. The thing is for me that I cherish my DVDs just like you cherish your figures, especially since I don't have too many of them, so I don't see it as a waste at all. I guess not all care about them the same way I do, though, even if they buy a shitload of them.

PetrifiedJello wrote:
Oh, and I did get your post was a joke, so no harm done. Smile
Heh, thank goodness. Now I know my sense of humor isn't a total failure.Very Happy

Quote:
If it wasn't for piracy, there'd be many series missing from my DVD collection. I can't side with this statement.
I understand that that's true for a lot of peeps with DVD/BD collections, so I understand that. It's just that I figure "Why pay when you can get it for free?" is what all the exclusively-illegal anime viewers think as well.

egoist wrote:
Oh. I don't care what others think of my figures. Sincerely, you can come home and criticize them and the fact that I spent money on it, as long as you don't touch it. Yes, if you touch it I'm so kicking you out of my house and never letting you in again.
Sounds good. Smile Sorry again, though. :/
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:57 pm Reply with quote
Most of mine every year goes towards manga. I hardly have time (at least right now) to watch anime - I still have titles on my shelf that have been sitting unwatched for going on three years - but I often re-read all of my manga volumes at least three times a year, on top of buying more. I know last year for A-Cen I had about $350 to spend in the dealers' room - half of it at least was spent on manga. XP

I do collect DVDs, but only a few select titles. Basically if I fell in love it via watching the streams or on TV or if it's a CLAMP title that I loved the manga for, I'll pick up the DVDs. Very rarely, unless it's really cheap, will I blind-buy.
egoist

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:33 pm Reply with quote
Nah, don't take it too seriously, Sanosuke_Inara. I've been an anime fan for a year or two, but just recently I've found my interest in figures. So, it's like, just a month ago I had that same ideology (not offensive but rather "meh, no appeal, no interest). Well, for the first time I find pleasure in spending money with anime, so no regrets on my side.
Sanosuke_Inara

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:39 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
Nah, don't take it too seriously, Sanosuke_Inara. I've been an anime fan for a year or two, but just recently I've found my interest in figures. So, it's like, just a month ago I had that same ideology (not offensive but rather "meh, no appeal, no interest). Well, for the first time I find pleasure in spending money with anime, so no regrets on my side.
Alright, then. Smile And hell, who knows? Maybe someday down the line I'll see a figure that suddenly sparks an interest within me to collec them too.

Maybe. xD.

Btw, Sanosuke, or just Sano is perfectly fine.
Darksorrow29

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:08 pm Reply with quote
@Sano -

Blood- made this comment in another thread not too long ago basically saying if you can avoid figure collecting you should. I agree with him. It gets quite addictive and each figure is going to run you anywhere from 70-150+ dollars >>.

All they pretty much do is stand there and look awesome on a shelf or a desk. If you think about it, it's similar to buying pieces of art for your room that stay on the walls, concept wise.

If you're curious though take a look here

http://www.amiami.jp/shop/?set=english
Sanosuke_Inara

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:24 pm Reply with quote
Darksorrow29 wrote:
@Sano -

Blood- made this comment in another thread not too long ago basically saying if you can avoid figure collecting you should. I agree with him. It gets quite addictive and each figure is going to run you anywhere from 70-150+ dollars >>.
Heh, no worries--what I said earlier was really just food for thought. I'm pretty sure that I'll remain uninterested in them--if I was going to go crazy for them, I feel like I would've already. Thanks for the warning, though. Laughing
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:38 pm Reply with quote
Sanosuke_Inara wrote:
Darksorrow29 wrote:
@Sano -

Heh, no worries--what I said earlier was really just food for thought. I'm pretty sure that I'll remain uninterested in them--if I was going to go crazy for them, I feel like I would've already. Thanks for the warning, though. Laughing

Not to go slightly off topic, but diecast cars are the same way, once you start stopping is hard. I should know I dropped about 2,000 to 3,000 buying just what I have now and that was at least 2 or 3 years ago.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
chachaboru

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:12 am Reply with quote
i spend most of my anime budget in buying anime figurines...
i started collecting last year....
jmfsilenthill

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:23 pm Reply with quote
Although I started out exclusively buying dvds, I buy much more on blu ray these days. My anime budget is almost exclusively Bluray, unless it's an older show that's oop or one that I'm almost sure will never get a BD release. I don't really have a set amount that I spend a month, I just buy whenever the mood, sale, or cash surplus strikes me Anime hyper. The rest of my budget goes to manga, where I buy about 5-7 books a month.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:39 pm Reply with quote
Because I posses neither a Blu-Ray player nor an interest in manga, predicting the sort of item upon which I spend my small anime-related budget is elementary.

As regards figures, I own but a single one. It remains wrapped within a polythene bag to hide the character's modesty, even though the character in question is clothed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
poonk

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 5:06 am Reply with quote
If this poll had existed but a year ago my answer would be manga by far. Having since caught the figure-collecting bug, though... well it only takes 1-2 medium-priced figures (say, $100-$180) per month to bypass 8-10 manga ($90-$120) so that's where I stand at the moment.

(Honestly though, if someone would license the likes of my recent favorites Natsume Yuujinchou, Library Wars, Majin Tantei Nougami Neuro, Gallery Fake, and Kuragehime and release them on DVD, when added to part 2 of Kuroshitsuji (en route to me as I write) and Antique Bakery, anime may have a pretty good shot at winning. Oh well.)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mylene

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:19 am Reply with quote
It's a combination for me (so I selected Others). Some months it's DVDs, some months it's manga, and occasionally it's figures and merchandise. Early on it was all DVDs, but it's been years since it's been so weighted. Right now it's a bit more of a manga trend, but it all evens out eventually.
Han Solo

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:23 pm Reply with quote
My DVD collection seems to be increasing. Would have a lot more but some got lost after I moved.

I'm beginning to buy more anime DVDs because I don't have a laptop. Yeah I have a computer and I'm not a fan of watching anime on the comp because I can't but my legs up and relax. I have a portable DVD player so I gotta make use of it! I honestly can't afford to buy manga nor keep up. But maybe I'll finnish off my Kenshin collection since I gotta finish what I started.

I buy my DVDs off Amazon, because it's so damn cheap. Going to the DVD shops suck. They're expensive and doesn't have much of a collection. Though I might end up regreting this collection I've started since money is pretty hard to come buy these days...

I think I'm gonna buy some posters though, then after that have a beer to celebrate.
Nikaido

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:41 am Reply with quote
Almost exclusively figurines. I don't own many compared to some collectors, but a few of them are quite expensive. I've bought a few movies over the years but never a series or any manga. I might buy Dorohedoro if it ever appears in hardcover.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Polls All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4