• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Kara no Kyoukai - the Garden of sinners

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
se7en-

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:01 pm Reply with quote
really want to see what the extra OVA is all about. And the price tho, I'm all good with it since it includes 'all' arcs and contains the translated light novel. not bad actually...
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:19 pm Reply with quote
Wow, Zac, you... really captured the way I actually feel about this series. Thank you, I can just link to your review now when people want my opinion. I wish I could afford it, especially to see the epilogue story. I don't suppose this is ever going to go on Netflix, though. Sad
Tratious

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:29 pm Reply with quote
se7en- wrote:
really want to see what the extra OVA is all about. And the price tho, I'm all good with it since it includes 'all' arcs and contains the translated light novel. not bad actually...
there is no light novel with it. it comes with an art book that has interviews with Nasu Kinoko, Takahashi Takeuchi and Maaya Sakamoto

so far my favorite movies are

Chapter 3: ever cry, never life. (Remaining Sense of Pain)
Chapter 4: garan-no-dou. (The Hollow Shrine)
Chapter 5: Paradox Paradigm

Last edited by Tratious on Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rukiia

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:30 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
$400 price tag is comical

My sentiments exactly, Zac.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Akukame

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:31 pm Reply with quote
I'm actually surprised. After all that trepidation I heard in your voice in the last ANNcast, I was actually anticipating this review being bad, and the entertaining fallout I would have gotten to read on the forums. But I'm surprised... I mean, you do point out its flaws, but its a positive review. I don't know if I should be disappointed.

I have yet to watch it myself though, but, I guess if it has Zac's seal of approval, then now I have to watch it. Now to find $400 laying around... or a fairy of some sort that grants anime wishes.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:43 pm Reply with quote
I agree with a lot of Zac's review, but it sounds like at the end of the day he liked the franchise more than I did. Part of my problem was that I watched fansubs of the movies and I suspect the translation wasn't particularly great. I was confused a good chunk of the time and it wasn't all due to the fractured timeline. Certainly agree with the beauty of the background art. I'm sure the movies look particularly mouth-watering on BD. I really hope Aniplex coughs up a more reasonably priced offering, I'd love to own them. If you haven't watched the movies yet here is my recommendation for the order you should watch them:

Watch the second movie first, A Study in Murder, Part 1. As Zac said, the actual first movie, Overlooking View is not the best introduction to the franchise. Then I'd watch the 4th movie next, The Hollow Shrine.

Then I'd watch what is the third movie even in the original order, Remaining Sense of Pain, then Paradox Spiral, then Oblivion Recorder, then Overlooking View (although frankly you can watch this one at any point after A Study in Murder, Part 1; it doesn't really matter) and finally A Study in Murder, Part 2.

Do it. Seriously, you'll thank me.
jmfsilenthill

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:46 pm Reply with quote
This review makes the wait for my set all the more unbearable. I definitely agree that the price is "comical" though Laughing .
gerbilx

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:48 pm Reply with quote
I have to raise both eyebrows a mile high at the several comments about boredom. I found myself quite engaged, from beginning to end, and your comment was an honest to goodness surprise to me. I enjoyed it as much in retrospect as while watching, and I do not think that I am any kind of fanboy for the series. Not knowing what was going on and accepting the series' general pacing did not in any way seem like anything abnormal to ask of the audience. I really, really find the complaints surprising, but I am glad that you enjoyed it.
Rukiia

Blood- wrote:
Watch the second movie first, A Study in Murder, Part 1. As Zac said, the actual first movie, Overlooking View is not the best introduction to the franchise. Then I'd watch the 4th movie next, The Hollow Shrine.

Then I'd watch what is the third movie even in the original order, Remaining Sense of Pain, then Paradox Spiral, then Oblivion Recorder, then Overlooking View (although frankly you can watch this one at any point after A Study in Murder, Part 1; it doesn't really matter) and finally A Study in Murder, Part 2.

Do it. Seriously, you'll thank me.

I'll thank you in advance. I was just starting to watch the "first" one but stopped after 5 minutes of it because I found a crappy quality version. I plan to watch the series via fansub before I consider buying it (when its at a reasonable price, of course).

Thank you very much for the tip. Very Happy

Last edited by Rukiia on Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
neocloud9

Quote:
It would be nice if Aniplex eventually decided on a more reasonably priced version of the series, if only so even more adventurous viewers looking for something new and challenging can expose themselves to Type-Moon's brutal creation.

I am PRAYING for this. Crying or Very sad
Oneeyedjacks

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:50 pm Reply with quote
Wow! You really hit the nail right on the head perfectly in this review!

I've read a lot of reviews of Garden of Sinners before but this has to be the best and most thought out review I've seen.

I was betting you were going to give it a negative review based on what you said towards it on ANNcast and on your twitter, but was surprised just how thorough and in-depth you were. Even recommending it in the end.

Really enjoyed reading it.

Two questions though:

Were you surprised it never found US distribution?

And will you ever watch the series again?
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:16 pm Reply with quote
Rukiia wrote:
I plan to watch the series via fansub before I consider buying it (when its at a reasonable price, of course).

With this price tag, I'm doubting anyone would want to buy it blind, and like I said, I don't know how many companies would even be wiling to rent this for fear people would just keep it. So yeah: watch some fansubs first..unless Aniplex decides to offer some lower-res stream somewhere for people to preview, which would be a smart, smart idea for them.

Just to put it in context, the most expensive anime set purchase I probably have is the Genon boxset of Gankutsuou, which is about as long as the entire Kara no Kyoukai saga, and it was $150. Even if you need to tack on an extra for the Blu-Ray, $400 is insane; $200 would be far more reasonable, and at modern-day prices they need to make it lower still. It isn't going to get purchased by many people, and it's far more likely people will resort to fansubs at that price.

And I know, I know, there's a fear of reverse-importation, but this thing has already sold like nuts in Japan, tens of thousands of copies, people buying the initial releases and then buying the boxsets, I think that fear is sort of meaningless at this point. Everyone who was going to buy it in Japan has already bought it, twice. You can let the Americans have it at a reasonable price now, k?

Last edited by vashfanatic on Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:19 pm Reply with quote
gerbilx wrote:
Not knowing what was going on and accepting the series' general pacing did not in any way seem like anything abnormal to ask of the audience.

I think one of the most glaring moments of Garden's questionable pacing is a scene in the first movie where Shiki comes home and eats a cup of ice cream. I'm guessing the scene lasts for maybe 3 minutes, but those are the three of the slowest minutes of film I have ever sat through. In the moment, I'm wondering what's the point is of all this. Even with the context, I was still wondering why ufotable felt like so much of the movie had to be dedicated to a girl eating ice cream.

The US release could be ironic. It's practically unobtainable (when your entertainment is more expensive than the medium you're likely going to watch it on, there's a problem) but those who can afford it will be greatly rewarded.
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:25 pm Reply with quote
When I heard about the issues with Aniplex's R.O.D. release (sound quality, etc.) I became really nervous about pre-ordering Garden of Sinners. I do my best to support anime in the states, but there have been so many quality control issues lately. Looks like the production quality was fine for Zac, so that means it should be a-okay with me. Phew!

I really wonder if this will be re-released for a cheaper price sometime in the near future.

Does anyone out there know about how many copies were sold in the states? I'm wondering if it was like 50, 100, 500, etc?
domino

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:26 pm Reply with quote
How the heck do they expect anyone to dish out $400 for a set of movies!? That's almost $60 per movie. Good luck with that.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 1 of 10