• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - The Hebert Report

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
neocloud9

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:53 pm Reply with quote
Just started listening. Loved your comments on Garden of Sinners. I, too, am hoping for a cheaper release!

I'd love to own a copy... Cool
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:29 pm Reply with quote
No offense to Mr. Hebert, but I'm really glad they replaced him as the narrator of DBZ in Kai. He sounded a little too "professional wrestling announcer". Doc Morgan is doing a more straight narration.

I'd like to hear him return as the older Gohan in Kai. He was one of the few dub VAs I thought did a good job in DBZ. However, evidence points to Toei quitting the production after the Cell arc. It's funny, because now instead of Funimation screwing up Toei's work, it's Toei screwing up Funimation's work. That Kai dub must continue, damn it!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:55 pm Reply with quote
I am surprised no one mentioned his role as Wario on There will be Brawl.

Generally speaking I consider Kyle appearing as Gohan to be one Funimation really started to get its act together. The voice actors improved, they start getting new ones like Kyle, and the writing also improved. His work as Teen Gohan especially of Sayaman is really amazing.
Psycho_Despair

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:04 pm Reply with quote
Wow I am glad that there is someone that was able to accomplish their dream. I Enjoy playing Street Fighter because of Ryu's awesome voice, lol kinda not kidding.

Enjoyable Podcast, Thanks Zac Very Happy
CareyGrant

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:01 am Reply with quote
Great guest; wonderful podcast! Kyle's frankness about the industry was both sobering and enlightening -what a great interview.
v1cious

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:29 am Reply with quote
I wonder how the pay scale works if you're starring in something that has no foreseeable end, like Bleach or Naruto.
iamthevastuniverse

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:22 am Reply with quote
Excellent podcast as usual..Kyle seems like a great guy.
ss-hikaru

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:10 am Reply with quote
Being a sub fan I have no interest in dubs but I'm glad that I listened to this podcast anyway. Kyle is such an inspiring guy! His positive attitude makes me really respect him Anime smile
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:52 pm Reply with quote
I think that Kyle Herbert is a nice guy, it's good to know that he's talking about. I'm glad that he's talking about how realistic his job is. This podcast was a lot of fun.

From what I understand about voice acting, pre-lay = voice acting heaven, and anime is super hard.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:08 pm Reply with quote
I loved meeting Kyle at Anime LA 2007. He's a really awesome guy. I even mentioned a few voice roles he did that I'm sure no one else mentioned (he took a moment to remember the voices he did for Valkyrie Profile Silmeria).

He makes a lot of valid points too. Becoming a voice actor is not as glamorous as one is led to believe at first.
PBsallad

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:59 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
I wonder how the pay scale works if you're starring in something that has no foreseeable end, like Bleach or Naruto.

I'd imagine its the same, you just have more hours.

I think Kyle also said that it is the same pay.
mdo7

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:02 pm Reply with quote
This podcast is very interesting to hear. Kyle is a cool guy, I hope he get more role beyond anime and video game. Although I know some anime VAs that goes beyond anime and video game made in Japan. I believe some of VA's in Texas (some of them are Funi's VA) appear in some video game. I recall Borderlands had some of the VA. I found out that Colleen Clinkenbeard, Eric Vale (spelled Erik Vale), Lydia McKay, and Brina Palencia all voiced characters in Borderlands, for some of you who might have heard Mad Moxxi's voice, that's Brina voice you're hearing out of her. Also I like to add some 2 of our VAs have appear on TV not too recently, Travis Wilingham appeared on Nip/Tuck in a skirt. Laughing Dameon Clarke went from anime VA to appearing on CSI and Criminal Minds. He does some voice-over now and then but not anime like he used to. But Dameon Clarke is not the first anime VA to appear on TV like a celeb, I believe Bryan Cranston (yes, the guy from Breaking Bad) did anime voiceover, I believe he's the voice of Isamu Alva Dyson in Macross Plus (he went under the name "Lee Stone" when he did the dub) and he voiced a character in Armitage 3 and he did some other anime dub.

Ironically, we are seeing some of our VAs that has never did anime dub are now getting involved with it. For example, Nolan North (Nathan Drake/Deadpool/Desmond Miles) has just gotten his first anime role, he voiced Madara Uchiha in Naruto Shippuden. I also believe Ali Hilis (voice of Liara T'soni from Mass Effect, and Lightning from FF13) and Reno Wilson (Sazh from FF13, ) has also gotten their first anime role on Naruto Shippuden. I'm waiting to see if other VAs that hasn't done anime to maybe appear one day doing anime dub.

But so far, I think most of our anime VAs are doing good, I'm seeing a lot of our anime VAs appearing on domestic animation. It does give them recognition and more reason for me to like them more.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1