• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Best adult-oriented (non-hentai) anime?

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mileylovestina

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:34 am Reply with quote
and i mean things that are for us older folk like hellsing ova,black lagoon,gantz and so forth.things that have violence,sex,nudity,drug use and themes kids wouldn't quite understand.

so whats your favs and any lesser known ones i should give a watch ?
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:34 am Reply with quote
A great deal of anime is for more adult audiences right, just because a series primarily has highschool kids and highchool it doesn't mean most of it's audience are adults. Even Azumanga Daioh a cute as a button series can have a volume put as MA15+ (Australian classification just bellow R which is adult only) which funnily enough moves its entire colection rating up about 2 and half rating from the other volumes.

Though you mean highly graphic and adult themed. Kind of hard, I guess I like Hellsing Ultimate, I have the manga and everything and is filled with violence, blood/gore and occasional sexual theme. But I never really considered it really a favourite adult anime.

I am probably more drawn to an ecchi title, perhaps I will say Inukami! as it is really filled with adult content and I still think it is one of the funiest series I have seen. The series prides itself on being perverted, even calling its viewers perverts at one point, but it really has a charm that I love.
egoist

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:40 am Reply with quote
Quote:
things that have violence,sex,nudity,drug use and themes kids wouldn't quite understand.

Stringendo has all of it, plus most of it wouldn't be nearly as appreciated by kids.
ailblentyn

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:56 am Reply with quote
Endless things.
Hello Hedgehog: Domain of Murder is a personal fave that has quite a bit of inappropriate stuff, as well as being conceptually grown up.
(But isn't this a recommendation thread?)
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:10 am Reply with quote
Just a little aside for myself but Panty and Stocking came to mind as something that has all that in spades it is probably one of the most adult themed series I have seen, but the character look simular to the original Power Puff Girls.

I really don't go out of my way to look for adult shows, I wonder if I should perhaps promise myself not to slip too far. But have you ever wondered why sometimes the more adult theme shows can have catchy songs, I have been finding it hard to get the song from Asobi ni Ikuyo out of my head. I think it spurned a recent interest in me also. *shrug*
DavidShallcross

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:35 am Reply with quote
/deliberately misreading the original poster's intent/
Well, for adult themes that kids won't quite understand, I will put up Spice and Wolf. It's largely about money, when it isn't about religion. (Well, what would you call a man's personal relationship with a goddess, if not religion?) Because of this, a lot of younger people were calling it boring.
EireformContinent

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:10 am Reply with quote
@up
When people will understand that blood and nudity don't make show mature in any way?

Quote:
and i mean things that are for us older folk

Us?
That post screams HEY I'm 12 years old boy who just saw photo of naked breast for first time, therefore I was too excited to think about something so trivial as spell-check.

Now old and spoiled big girl can recommend you some titles.
Galaxy Express. Oniisama E. Working Man. Honey and Clover. Daddy Long Legs. Millennium Actress. Terra E. Crest of the Stars. They talk about important things in everyday life like finding job, taking important decisions, maintain balance between work and life or stuff more sophisticated like influence of technology development on humans moral norms. Unfortunately you won't find there even a half of nude boobs.
John Casey

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:28 am Reply with quote
Well, as I recall, recommendation threads aren't terribly popular with the moderators around here.... Rolling Eyes But I'll play.

Let's see... Adult anime! I know a few. There's this one called Beyblade, it's about this really badass heir to a samurai lineage who has to fight to survive - he uses this really interesting spinning technique. You should give that one a go, if only for the tense battles. Then there's also Bakugan, which stars a pretty psychotic Canadian kid. That already should give you reason to watch. My personal favorite? Yugioh, which has this kid who is possessed by a crazy Egyptian sorcerer. The sorcerer makes callous use of the world's largest driving economic factor to defeat his rival, a pissy guy who has a split personality and rides on a super cool chopper bike named "Pegasus." How awesome is that?

Like Black Lagoon, all these shows are littered with some pretty dark themes, from cold-blooded revenge, to outright disproportionate retribution, to drug dealing, etc etc.
Jrittmayer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:50 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Stringendo has all of it, plus most of it wouldn't be nearly as appreciated by kids.

Touche'

John Casey wrote:
Well, as I recall, recommendation threads aren't terribly popular with the moderators around here.... Rolling Eyes But I'll play.

Let's see... Adult anime! I know a few. There's this one called Beyblade, it's about this really badass heir to a samurai lineage who has to fight to survive - he uses this really interesting spinning technique. You should give that one a go, if only for the tense battles. Then there's also Bakugan, which stars a pretty psychotic Canadian kid. That already should give you reason to watch. My personal favorite? Yugioh, which has this kid who is possessed by a crazy Egyptian sorcerer. The sorcerer makes callous use of the world's largest driving economic factor to defeat his rival, a pissy guy who has a split personality and rides on a super cool chopper bike named "Pegasus." How awesome is that?

Classy man.

Quote:
Just a little aside for myself but Panty and Stocking came to mind as something that has all that in spades it is probably one of the most adult themed series I have seen, but the character look simular to the original Power Puff Girls.

....No....just..no. Poop jokes and crappy sexual innuendo meant to amuse 12 year olds that have just learned what sex is, is NOT my definition of "adult", "mature" or "not for kids"
Key

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:01 pm Reply with quote
This is a topic which can't be easily duplicated by an Encyclopedia search or reference to an established genre recommendation thread, so I'll allow it with a revision to the thread title to make its purpose clearer. In fact, I may make this the official (indexed) recommendation thread for Mature Audiences titles.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:58 pm Reply with quote
Well, one adult-oriented title that I hold in high regard would be Kaiba. It features an interesting take of self, where memories can be easily erased, manipulated, bought, stolen, and the physical body can be easily swapped as well. It also features drug use, sex/masturbation, and the animation/art-style alone would probably cause you to think you're on one hell of an acid trip.
Scormio

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:32 pm Reply with quote
DavidShallcross wrote:
/deliberately misreading the original poster's intent/
Well, for adult themes that kids won't quite understand, I will put up Spice and Wolf. It's largely about money, when it isn't about religion. (Well, what would you call a man's personal relationship with a goddess, if not religion?) Because of this, a lot of younger people were calling it boring.

Very true. Spice and Wolf definitely deals with more adult themes while not really having a lot of "adult" themes. And yeah, most younger people find it boring.

For another more "adult" title, I'd go with something like Berserk. It's definitely not for kids by any stretch of the imagination.
John Casey

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:21 pm Reply with quote
In all seriousness, you might want to try Rainbow, Baccano!, Ergo Proxy, Elfen Lied, Le Chevalier D'Eon, or Gantz.

I apologize if some of you feel some of these are "too adult" or "not enough". I never really classified my shows in that manner. Smile
nightjuan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:04 pm Reply with quote
Legend of the Galactic Heroes.

Not only does it contain a lot of surprisingly mature discussions of political philosophy, warfare and related subjects that most youngsters wouldn't be interested in, the series also doesn't shy away from showing just how violent war can be. This includes displays of gore and death, as inevitable as they should be in such a setting, but not in a gratuitous fashion.

Things like drug use and sex are never presented in an extended or glamorous manner either, mind you, but they do exist as part of the world the characters live in and they are in fact mentioned or referenced on occasion. Those looking for explicit depictions of the same will probably be very disappointed, however.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:18 pm Reply with quote
This is by no means a definitive list of everything, since it's just stuff I've seen that I felt was sophisticated, but it could help you out a whole lot. It will get you about 338 titles at least.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3