• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Recommendation on SF Japanese Novel

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Novels
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nokcha

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:31 am Reply with quote
Any book based on sci-fi fiction is okay for me (and if it is good, horror fiction is okay too), preferrably by Haikasoru cause they are one of my favorite publisher of japanese novels.
Minatsu

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:46 am Reply with quote
I just buy all the books that Haikasoru releases, except for the horror-based ones, since I don't like horror, and there hasn't been a single one that I haven't like yet. They really don't have that many books so it's not hard to keep up with their releases. They just released Mardock Scramble which is really good (and around 800 pages), so I would get that if you haven't already. Also, there's A Wind Named Amnesia/Invader Summer which was released by Dark Horse if you want to check out something outside of Haikasoru.
Thorn of Camorr

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:35 am Reply with quote
If it's sci-fi with a mix of horror you're looking for you can't go wrong with the Vampire Hunter D novels, while two of them (the first and third) have been turned into films, if you liked the movies then the books are a good way to experience more of D's adventures, or even if you haven't they're still great stories.

As far as a horror setting with some historical context to it there's also Dark Wars:The Tale of the Meiji Dracula, a story that asks the question 'what if Dracula went to Japan?'. It's slightly more complicated than that and the ending has some nice twists to it. I think I finished it in a day and a half and I would highly recommend it. In fact it's also by the same author as the D novels Hideyuki Kikuchi.
fire_

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:35 am Reply with quote
Paprika by Yasutaka Tsutsui has been released in English, and The girl who leapt through time by the same author is also going to be released in May of this year.
Teankun

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:14 am Reply with quote
Has Record of Lodoss War been released?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Mairi

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 9:26 am Reply with quote
Hi all,
could anyone give me any recommendations for a virgin reader of dark Japanese lit? Confused Thanks!
piikkipippuri

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 5:48 am Reply with quote
I'd recommend All You Need Is Kill by Hiroshi Sakurazaka. The novel ain't too long but features good, thoughtful and action-packed science fiction. Just google the book cover and you know you want to read it!
Moonsaber

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 9:14 am Reply with quote
Summer, Fireworks, and My Corpse from Haikasoru/Viz. Some tasty horror.

For non Dark, I recommend both Rocket Girls novels, and if you can keep up with the high end sci fi tone, Ursurper of the Sun (by the same author as Rocket Girls). The entire Haikusoru line is excellent as far as I have seen.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Novels All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1