• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: All But 1 Defendant Dropped From Funimation's One Piece Lawsuit

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sepherest

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:31 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Funimation can choose to pursue the other 1,336 defendants in individual, separate lawsuits within the next 30 days, if it submits filing fees for each case.

Hm, wonder how that will work out...I assume actually going through with it will show that they're serious about stopping people from torrenting their series, but would it be worth it?
AJMkarate717

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:33 pm Reply with quote
Sepherest wrote:
Quote:
Funimation can choose to pursue the other 1,336 defendants in individual, separate lawsuits within the next 30 days, if it submits filing fees for each case.

Hm, wonder how that will work out...I assume actually going through with it will show that they're serious about stopping people from torrenting their series, but would it be worth it?

Well, filing fees can be very expensive, especially in this magnitude. It's unfortunate - I was hoping their attempt would work...
Mikuru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:36 pm Reply with quote
Does anyone know how much filing fees would cost for each case?
PlatinumHawke

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:39 pm Reply with quote
Something tells me not worth the amount of money they'd get out of these cases if they went to trial, assuming it went that far in the end.
Ranemoraken

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:39 pm Reply with quote
Funimation's 1337 fail. They don't got the skillz to pay the billz.

Seriously, I'm not the first person to notice that, right? That's come up before, right? 1337 defendents? That's like some cosmic humor right there.
dan888

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:52 pm Reply with quote
Mikuru wrote:

According to the ars technica article on the sever of the lawsuit, it's a $350 filing fee for each suit filed.
Brent Allison

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:53 pm Reply with quote
Ranemoraken wrote:
Seriously, I'm not the first person to notice that, right? That's come up before, right? 1337 defendents? That's like some cosmic humor right there.

It's not cosmic. Funimation's lawyer confirmed that they choose 1337 to show that they're savvy about hacker culture. Not that it takes any actual hacking skills to bittorrent a file and real hackers (who stopped seriously using "1337" or "31337" about 10 years ago) don't really care about copyright infringement by low-skilled "n00bs", but I guess Funimation wanted to be showy about it.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:58 pm Reply with quote
Ranemoraken wrote:

Seriously, I'm not the first person to notice that, right?

hikaricore

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:01 pm Reply with quote
And it other news, the rest of the world keeps watching One Piece each week without fearing Falimation.
Except for the one poor bastard who actually still uses torrents and without peerblocker at that.

Maybe next time they'll try and sue 80085 users to show their knowledge of calculator jokes.
Brent Allison

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:04 pm Reply with quote
hikaricore wrote:
Maybe next time they'll try and sue 80085 users to show their knowledge of calculator jokes.

Actually it would be 58008, but point made. Then someone would point out that $350 * 58008 would be over $20 million, frustrating their efforts once again.
Rukiia

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:06 pm Reply with quote
Brent Allison wrote:
hikaricore wrote:

Actually it would be 58008, but point made.

Or even 55378008. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
sepherest

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:10 pm Reply with quote
dan888 wrote:
Mikuru wrote:

According to the ars technica article on the sever of the lawsuit, it's a $350 filing fee for each suit filed.

So if they tried to sue everyone it'd wind up costing them what, over $450,000?
They'd make 4x less than what they could get from how much they originally charged these guys for Laughing

spoiler[Unless my calculations are wrong, I'm pretty bad at math...]
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:15 pm Reply with quote
So in summation, they managed to get as far as announcing their big, scary, dick waving lawsuit, thus pissing off everyone against these kinds of draconian measures of copyright enforcement. Then, they proceed to promptly fail utterly, thus proving the exact OPPOSITE of what they sought to prove: That even if companies try, there's nothing they can do to stop you from pirating*.

*Unless you're one solitary guy in Jersey.

Savvy Funimation. Really savvy.
agila61

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:17 pm Reply with quote
This is why this kind of stuff was made a criminal rather than civil offense in Japan ~ thousands of people doing dimes or dollars of damage each, costing hundreds of dollars each to bring to justice ... where sites like Rupert Murdoch's MySpace host thousands of copies of infringing work.
Brent Allison

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:24 pm Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:
This is why this kind of stuff was made a criminal rather than civil offense in Japan ~ thousands of people doing dimes or dollars of damage each, costing hundreds of dollars each to bring to justice ... where sites like Rupert Murdoch's MySpace host thousands of copies of infringing work.

My country had 760 inmates per 100,000 persons in 2007. Our jails are full, and our incarceration rate is a global disgrace. Thanks but no thanks.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4