• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Robotic Mecha Proposed for Japanese Party's Manifesto

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
_V_

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:25 pm Reply with quote
this can only lead to escalation:

think about it, after Japan built a life-sized, 40 meter tall Gundam statue, the People's Republic of China immediately retaliated by building their own 40 meter tall robot statue (which they insist doesn't look like a Gundam and thus doesn't violate copyright laws...even though it is EXACTLY other than the paint job).

We must not allow a Mech Gap!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kuPh6TfK4iY
BleuVII

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:52 pm Reply with quote
My goodness. It's like that scene from 20th Century Boys, where the leaders of the Friend Party are debating what type of robot to sick on Tokyo, only it's actually happening. Shocked

Excuse me while I go die a little inside.
JohnnySake

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:31 pm Reply with quote
Hey, if they can figure out the power supply issues, then *maybe* they'll get DARPA's or Area 51's attention.
BladeDragoonZETA

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:48 pm Reply with quote
I fully support any and all attempts to produce Giant Humanoid Robots.
Juhachi

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:13 pm Reply with quote
JohnnySake wrote:
Hey, if they can figure out the power supply issues, then *maybe* they'll get DARPA's or Area 51's attention.

Just do what Eva did. It's safer than having a nuclear reactor, even if it's less mobile.

But still, giant walking robots aren't exactly feasible machines. The main reason they're doing this is so the otaku will vote for them.
TokyoGetter

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:35 am Reply with quote
He knows his mecha, obviously, but I was surprised that he didn't list the VOTOMS scopedog as an option.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:09 am Reply with quote
Anime News Network wrote:

The level of stability increases with six legs ([Appleseed's] Tachikoma model)....

Isn't that Ghost in the Shell?
Guilhem

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:49 am Reply with quote
Yes, and it is four legs instead of six.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
kyuden

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:48 pm Reply with quote
If this happens (though i doubt it with the current economy), I would be wiling to die just to be a part of their programmers Smile)
edzieba

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:17 pm Reply with quote
SARCOS are taking the bottom-up approach, a haptic exoskeleton that conforms to the human body's dynamics. I'd be interested in the top-down approach, of building a bipedal robot and using mediated control to conform the human controllers movements to the robot (i.e. highly mediated haptics a'la FMP's Arm Slaves*, or a totally abstracted interface). Both still need to address the power density issue (the XOS2 is still tethered). Control could be elegantly solved by direct brain-machine interfaces, but this requires both invasive techniques (or a massive advancement in spatial and temporal resolution and miniaturisation of current SQUID based MEG and/or NMR) and for the operator to learn to use the robtos limbs in the same way an amputee needs to relearn to walk with a prosthetic. Or again, use control mediation to map intent to action with associated problems in extreme cases (e.g. fall reflexes).

*Or the ill fated GE Walking Truck from the late 60s.
::EDIT:: And just for fun, the ASV, and that beautiful piece of engineering, the ODEX-1
Brent Allison

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:59 pm Reply with quote
Call me when the U.S. political parties advocate Robocop vs. ED-209 for their anti-crime planks.
Wrangler

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:31 pm Reply with quote
Though i support development of human piloted Robotic Vehicles, i find it kinda strange to have a political party try make it one of its goals.

As for aiming to build a Patlabor type mech, seems also semi-practical. I would think a power armor/Exoskeleton type suit, which US Army is infact close of developing would be far more practical than a full size 8 to 18 meter size humaniod two legger Mecha.

Hows this individual who wants to make part of his political's party's agenda going to incite political forces to get fund such out-sight idea?
Ryand-Smith

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:18 am Reply with quote
Brent Allison wrote:
Call me when the U.S. political parties advocate Robocop vs. ED-209 for their anti-crime planks.

Did someone say (Daily Mail, I know) drone Technology. Though giant humanoid robots are.. well I don't expect to see my bosses in the Navy deploying giant robots from the Enterprise anytime soon, Drone Technology is the future. This is a fun little interest story though, thanks again ANN!

EDIT: BBCode, my nemesis!
edzieba

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:49 pm Reply with quote
Ryand-Smith wrote:
I don't expect to see my bosses in the Navy deploying giant robots from the Enterprise anytime soon
ON the Enterprise, maybe. One of the goals of the 1970s GE Hardiman/'man amplifier' project was loading bombs onto aircraft on carrier decks. And depending on your definition of 'giant', some of the past designs for, and currently testing, drone bombers intended for carrier launch are pretty large. None of them transform, unfortunately.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1