• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
How to Submit Series Relations.

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:05 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
The Railgun anime is adapted from the Railgun manga which is (correctly IMO) listed as a spinoff of the Index manga (more correctly the original novels, but we don't list those). You can see the whole tree at Toaru Majutsu no Index (manga).

This confuses me.

They are correctly listed as related in the Manga sections because one is a spin off of the other.

... but because the anime Railgun is an adaptation of the spinoff of the manga, and not directly a spinoff of of the anime of Index, that's why they aren't listed as related on their anime pages?

Confused
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Calathan
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:46 pm Reply with quote
Calathan wrote:
Calathan wrote:
Leina: Wolf Sword Legend and Lightning Trap - Leina & Laika and both spinoffs of Machine Robo: Revenge of Chronos (or perhaps Lightning Trap should be listed as a spinoff of Wolf Sword Legend). I don't know where I could find an official source for that, but both the English Wikipedia article and the anidb entry for Machine Robo: Revenge of Chronos list them as related. Also, Shutsugeki! Machine Robo Rescue probably should have some link to the other Machine Robo series. I don't think the plot is related (but I haven't seen it), but just based on the same toy line.

I assume this wasn't acted on because I didn't have a good enough source for the information. I've now found the official website for the company that made these anime, which lists them as related: http://pro-reed.com/works/tv_series/w012a.html. Also, the allcinema.net pages for these anime list them as related: http://www.allcinema.net/prog/show_c.php?num_c=88692, http://www.allcinema.net/prog/show_c.php?num_c=88580.

I was still hoping someone could link the Machine Robo anime and its spinoffs in the encyclopedia. I know it seems odd that there are OAVs related to the Machine Robo franchise that don't include the robots from the toy line the franchise was based on, but I'm pretty confident that they actually are related (my understanding is that at the end of the first TV series, some of the characters were sent into another dimension where they became human). If you need me to try to find more information, let me know and I will try looking for it.

Also, while I am posting here, I think the Street Fighter IV OAV should have some link to the rest of the Street Fighter franchise. If looks like a lot of the Street Fighter franchise is linked up to Street Fighter II: The Movie, most of them without any specific relation specified. That might be the best way to link the Street Fighter IV OAV to the rest of the franchise.
pcj

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:31 am Reply with quote
The listing for Pretty Cure Splash Star lists it as a "spinoff" of Futari wa Pretty Cure Max Heart. This is incorrect. It's not a spinoff at all, it's a completely new set of characters in a new universe. If you look at Futari wa Pretty Cure you'll notice that all of the other related series are simply related to the original Futari wa Pretty Cure, and not spinoffs of one of the sequels. Splash Star should have the same relationship to Futari wa Pretty Cure that Yes Precure 5, Fresh Pretty Cure, Heartcatch Precure, and Suite Precure have. (simply related). It also should not be related to Max Heart at all.
pcj

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:34 am Reply with quote
I realize I'm missing a source.... my source is.. I watched it.

Toei's official site for the show is at http://www.toei-anim.co.jp/tv/precure_SS/ but I don't see anything explicitly listing its relationship to any of the other series there. There are links to both the original Futari wa Precure and Max Heart on that page.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:32 pm Reply with quote
pcj wrote:
The listing for Pretty Cure Splash Star lists it as a "spinoff" of Futari wa Pretty Cure Max Heart. This is incorrect. It's not a spinoff at all, it's a completely new set of characters in a new universe. If you look at Futari wa Pretty Cure you'll notice that all of the other related series are simply related to the original Futari wa Pretty Cure, and not spinoffs of one of the sequels. Splash Star should have the same relationship to Futari wa Pretty Cure that Yes Precure 5, Fresh Pretty Cure, Heartcatch Precure, and Suite Precure have. (simply related). It also should not be related to Max Heart at all.

Fixed.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
pcj

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:31 pm Reply with quote
Thanks!
Calathan
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:05 pm Reply with quote
The discussion at animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=1068772#1068772 has made me aware that Sherlock Hound (TV) and Sherlock Hound (movie) need some sort of relationship. Basically, the movie is a compilation of two episodes of the TV series, but with different voice actors and some other changes. However, even though the episodes were originally planned for a TV series and later got released as part of the TV series, the movie was released first before the anime was shown on TV. As such, I'm not sure what relation the two entries should have.

Also, I was still hoping someone could connect up the anime I mention in my previous post in this thread.
Lapin noir

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 5:21 pm Reply with quote
Nader
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 5:44 pm Reply with quote
Lapin noir wrote:

Done, but it's weird on the anime#4601 (COM) website the relationship is shown but on the anime#4601 (UK) not. Confused
rti9

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 1:49 am Reply with quote
Calathan
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:45 pm Reply with quote
doc-watson42
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:43 pm Reply with quote
doc-watson42 wrote:
From here (2):
doc-watson42 wrote:
From here:
doc-watson42 wrote:
I have a bunch of these.

Mama is part of the Secret Anima anthology--see page 346 of The Anime Encyclopedia.

More proof ("シークレットアニマ"): 1 and 2.

And more proof: (VNSFW) 3 and (SFW) 4.

I'm adding to this because Juliet (OAV) is apparently the unreleased-in-North-America episode 10 ("Operation-10") of Secret Anima—see proofs 3 and 4 above.

Fixed.
Nawulf

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 9:56 pm Reply with quote
(Edited!)

NEW! Detective Conan Magic File 2011 ~Niigata~ Tokyo Omiyage Capriccio is a side story of Case Closed (TV).

Also, the related anime in Case Closed's page are listed as sequels (+ one live action prequel, which is correct). As the main series hasn't even ended yet, shouldn't they be called side stories instead?

Thanks!
rinscewind

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 7:57 am Reply with quote
The Space Pirate Captain Harlock manga has spawned a series of Harlock anime (Space Pirate Captain Harlock (TV)), and a spin-off anime from the same universe. The spin-off has two titles which are not listed as being associated with the Harlock universe jumble, even tho' the distinctively stylized artwork and a number of the main characters are the same. I'd think they should be inter-linked with the appropriate derived-from pages. Here are the spin-off's links:

Cosmo Warrior Zero
Cosmo Warrior Zero Gaiden (TV)

Entries such as the ones for the Outlaw Star main story and it's Angel Links spin-off seem to indicate that such derivations should be listed as "spinoff"-s.
doc-watson42
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 3:38 pm Reply with quote
rinscewind wrote:
Entries such as the ones for the Outlaw Star main story and it's Angel Links spin-off seem to indicate that such derivations should be listed as "spinoff"-s.

FYI: See this post in the FAQ for the types of relationships.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 13 of 26