• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: True Grit Producer in Live-Action Star Blazers Talks

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
oishi_47

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 3:50 pm Reply with quote
Sooooo....we can toss this one on top of Evengelion, Akira, Cowboy Bebop, and Battle Angel. Good. That pile needed to be bigger.
egoist

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:06 pm Reply with quote
oishi_47 wrote:
Sooooo....we can toss this one on top of Evengelion, Akira, Cowboy Bebop, and Battle Angel. Good. That pile needed to be bigger.

And you know what? We should totally get Justin Bieber to lead one of them just so we broaden the anime fandom.
Now, think about it. Anime fandom has nearly always been two sides, but with the addition of Bieber's we will finally agree on a single target to bash. We can toss them aside afterwards.
Frazmataz

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:10 pm Reply with quote
oishi_47 wrote:

Oh, you mean the pile of stuff that'll probably never be made? Laughing Let's not forget Voltron and Tobey Maguire's Robotech now!

Frankly, I'd be happy if Hollywood never touched anime again, ever. The whole appeal of anime is in the japanese perspective and sensibilities, and in that it does things that live action can't.
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:11 pm Reply with quote
You forgot about the failed remake from Disney.
Chunx

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:45 pm Reply with quote
What about The Matrix, inspired by GITS? I'm still waiting on the live action Ghost in the Shell. Add that to the list.
oishi_47

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:52 pm Reply with quote
Obviously, when discussing Hollywood planned anime movies, the discussions skews towards positive.
stararnold

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:55 pm Reply with quote
Although Japan had already done a live-action "Space Batleship Yamato" movie, I am actually in favor of this U.S. movie getting made not only because I like both "Space Battleship Yamato" and its "Star Blazers" dub, but also because this could be an opportunity to introduce the new generation of Sci-Fi film viewers to "Star Blazers". And if this movie becomes a hit (which I hope it does), this can help "Space Battleship Yamato" and its U.S. dub re-enter the North American mainstream the same way J.J. Abrams helped "Star Trek" get back mainstream status, especially in a time when most North America-based otaku seem to care less about anime that Leiji Matsumoto worked on and most other anime franchises that started before the 2000s.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:07 pm Reply with quote
This can't be any worse than that live-action CGI Space Battleship Yamato movie! Japanese sensibility my ass! Laughing
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:03 pm Reply with quote
Frazmataz wrote:
oishi_47 wrote:

Oh, you mean the pile of stuff that'll probably never be made? :lol: Let's not forget Voltron and Tobey Maguire's Robotech now!

Frankly, I'd be happy if Hollywood never touched anime again, ever. The whole appeal of anime is in the japanese perspective and sensibilities, and in that it does things that live action can't.

Seriously, I am with you there 100%. If Hollywood never ever touched anime again, I'd be extremely happy. Speed Racer flopped, Dragon Ball Evolution was easily the worst anime live action adaption ever created, Astro Boy was extremely average and the list continues.

Seriously Hollywood, please for all intensive purposes, stop making anime live action films or at the bare minimum, try and I use this term loosely, to do research on a series and not make it up as you go. Anyone with a TV or internet can easily spot massive differences between the two.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:05 pm Reply with quote
They can always take the live-action Yamato movie, cut it up, add terrible voice acting, and repackage it as a Starblazers movie. Don't forget to refer to alcohol as "spring water".
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
reynardine

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:06 pm Reply with quote
Well, if they actually make this movie, they must keep the English-version Star Blazers theme. Because it was all kinds of awesome.
AstroNerdBoy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:23 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
They can always take the live-action Yamato movie, cut it up, add terrible voice acting, and repackage it as a Starblazers movie. Don't forget to refer to alcohol as "spring water".

Yep! And don't forget to never say the name of the ship because as we all know, "Yamato" is a terrible thing.

reynardine wrote:
Well, if they actually make this movie, they must keep the English-version Star Blazers theme. Because it was all kinds of awesome.

Have you heard the original Yamato theme 'cause that's pretty cool.

Regardless, I've zero interest in anything "Star Blazers" but I would have been possibly interested in an English adaptation of "Yamato." Instead, I'll just buy the Japanese live-action movie, which I hear is not too bad.
yamiangie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:47 pm Reply with quote
they did call it the Yamato up until they actually properly launched the ship.
The Nagabuchi

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:50 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
This can't be any worse than that live-action CGI Space Battleship Yamato movie! Japanese sensibility my ass! Laughing

I actually enjoyed that movie. Saw it twice and will pick up the Blu later this year. Far from perfect and typically overracted but a lot of fun nonetheless. Has some awesome action too - I mean comeon man, how can you NOT like the Analyzer?!? With the original actor doing the voice too!
stararnold

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:12 pm Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
If Hollywood never ever touched anime again, I'd be extremely happy. Speed Racer flopped, Dragon Ball Evolution was easily the worst anime live action adaption ever created, Astro Boy was extremely average and the list continues.

Seriously Hollywood, please for all intensive purposes, stop making anime live action films or at the bare minimum, try and I use this term loosely, to do research on a series and not make it up as you go. Anyone with a TV or internet can easily spot massive differences between the two.

1st of all, if you're talking U.S. live-action versions of anime, 2009's "Astro Boy" doesn't fit the topic as it's animated. 2nd of all, do you ever think for a moment that maybe Hollywood is doing these live-action movies as alternatives for North Americans who don't watch anime, hoping to largely increase the anime's fanbases in North America because most North Americans aren't into anything anime, whether they assume that all animation on Earth is strictly for children and the immature at heart or that they don't relate well to what they see in them? It's all about trying to appeal to larger audiences with new versions, but at least be happy that these movies aren't franchise reboots. I'm sure Hollywood is carefully adapting only anime where Japaneseness has no importance to what the stories in them are meant to be about.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2