• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Harder and Harder to find Manga

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tamaria

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:42 am Reply with quote
Quote:
And of course volume 3 of Monster would be the first one to go OOP, you'd need friggin' clairvoyance to foresee that one.

It's Viz. If a good series isn't doing so well, volume 3, 7, 8 and/or 20 are among the first ones to become rare. It's the rule. Or something.
kyokun703

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:09 pm Reply with quote
RAmmsoldat wrote:
Yeah i had a mad scramble to find eyeshield 21 volume 2 for a reasonable price, im finding alot of older books are going up to silly prices. Any copy of blame! is out of the question, some of the battle angel alita last order stuff too

Im not overly confident picking up old series these days because of all the screw ups from the publishers and the thing that irks me most is that usually you will hear nothing from them about it.

Yes, I just started reading Eyeshield 21 and was peeved that TRSI didn't have 2 & 3 for sale (not blaming them at all, just saying). I went to amazon, and saw some copies going for over $100 and was all "Efffffffff...." but managed to find ONE vendor selling used copies for a reasonable price (i.e. retail) and snagged them.

I also just started reading Slam Dunk and Hikaru no Go, and am worried some of the middle copies will go OOP. I'm trying to order as much as I can without going broke.

Flower of Life 4 was another one that I was irritated at, since I bought 1-3 cheap at AX from DMP and didn't realize there was a 4th volume until after I got home. Took some doing hunting that down, but I did find a vendor who still had new copies in stock at retail.
Shenl742

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:32 pm Reply with quote
On Righstuf's last Viz sale I attempted to complete my run on Angel Sanctuary. A few weeks later when I was checking my order status, I noticed that volume 16 was "cancelled by the manufacturer" and I couldn't get it from them. I know it was probably just a mistake, they didn't charge me of course, and I didn't have too much trouble getting it off Amazon for a good price, but still, that book's only a couple years old...
ReaKon

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 7:37 am Reply with quote
Volumes going OOP does affect the series that I choose to read. I really want to try out Monster as it is recommended by so many people. I don't like the idea of spending £40+ on volumes when I can get alot more other manga for the same price. Also there is a chance that later down the line they will become available in another print style, and then it wouldn't look good next to the rest of the collection. I am so anal about this that I will not even buy manga that has different logo's on the bind. It is really pathetic, I know...

Maybe my series purchasing habits will change when I have so much manga in my collection that the only decent series on the market are ones that have OOP titles. I think I have a long way to go though before i get to that stage.....
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:39 am Reply with quote
volume 5 of monster is pricey too, its all a question of do i let em all slip by and focus on other manga, give dark horse all my money cos they seem to be the only publisher in my good books atm or do i run about and risk getting myself in financial troubles trying to get hold of books in a series i may not even enjoy just because they are currently hard to get.

Like i said earlier viz may re do monster in the extra thick format like they are doing with FMA although i have no trouble getting volumes of that series at all. i think i'll resist and keep workin on the collections that stand a chance mabye keep an eye out for the OOP stuff along the way that i can snag, this is all kinda stressful though.
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:18 am Reply with quote
stressin my head off here, wanted to re aquire the GTO manga, its starting to dry up but is headed dow the path of silly prices and i find that the manga pequel is up to volume 10 and stopped suddenly. I dont think kodansha have the licence but i could be wrong but really what the heck is going on there.

I was looking at some of you guys collections in the other thread and it seems like my fellow european folk all get consistant releases yet im stuck feeding off americas scraps for manga and they are getting jerked around, is it now impossible for a company to release a series start to end?

also i had a crack at buying the complete series of monster off ebay but it got too expensive (though at £5 a book when calculated the winner still got a sweet deal). I'll soldier on and try to get what i can i just hade having random and incomplete series, seems so slap dash.

edit: ok done my homework seen that young GTO is also kodansha. They've messed alot up with what they've done, honestly.
_Emi_

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:30 am Reply with quote
Tamaria wrote:
Quote:
And of course volume 3 of Monster would be the first one to go OOP, you'd need friggin' clairvoyance to foresee that one.

It's Viz. If a good series isn't doing so well, volume 3, 7, 8 and/or 20 are among the first ones to become rare. It's the rule. Or something.

And while they're still releasing the series. Viz is set to release V.22 of Excel Saga come April but good luck trying to find V.7-8 for a good price. How do they expect a series to do well if people can't purchase it for a decent price?
braves

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:58 am Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:
Wow. $40 for a used copy. I'd gladly sell my copy if Viz had released the anime in full since I prefer the adaptation, but everybody knows what happened there.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Paploo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:13 pm Reply with quote
_Emi_ wrote:
Tamaria wrote:
Quote:

And while they're still releasing the series. Viz is set to release V.22 of Excel Saga come April but good luck trying to find V.7-8 for a good price. How do they expect a series to do well if people can't purchase it for a decent price?

I'm assuming it's that Excel Saga is selling well enough to keep publishing new volumes, but not popular enough to go back and reprint OOP volumes. That basically, most of the people reading it have been collecting it all along, and VIZ'ld rather put resources on newer or more popular series since it's doing okay as is [not a megaseller they can do multiple printings of, but good enough they can keep publishing new volumes]

It seems for series like these, newer volumes have very low print runs too- I know Jojo's Bizarre Adventures volumes are hard to find in general, which is why I started preordering it after picking up some of the earlier volumes. I'm missing some volumes, but still had fun reading it, and am glad I didn't purchase it in order- it was way easier just buying it as it came out.
I did that with PSME and Basara too- I'd slowly been collecting them, ordering a volume here and there of both series for a few years, but after I noticed some vols were getting harder to find and not being listed on RightStuf, I ordered a lot of the later volumes and worked my way at getting as many vols as possible through my comic shop. It was a little more work, but it was worth it.

With the way the market is currently, I'm guessing it's best to get the series you want ASAP given lower print runs. Waiting till it's finished being published doesn't seem a good idea for some series nowadays- the really popular stuff does get reprinted, but more obscure or niche stuff disappears faster nowadays.

One more tip- don't limit yourself to looking for these books online. You'll probably get a better deal just keeping an eye out for them at cons, used bookstores, and comic shops [whose stock is non-returnable unlike bookstores, so many who stock manga extensively will have random backstock of stuff long OOP at retail prices or lower]
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:35 pm Reply with quote
well im just playing catchup as I've been out of buying stuff for 2 years because i moved and id stupidly been focusing on collecting anime rather than manga so here i am trying to get stuff thats been out for a couple of years and its all out of print Sad

i do try and buy new stuff and stay up to date with it I've never been one for waitting untill its all out before starting to collect it thats how i wound up with some anime series that could never be finished (looking at you adv release of pumpkin scissors)
Thorn of Camorr

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:21 am Reply with quote
There was one I found a few years ago called Beet The Vandal Buster and I only had the first two volumes I think. I never got the chance to go back into this certain bookstore to get anymore and then later I'd come to find out that it had been put on hiatus because apparently the manga-ka got hospitalized or some such thing. I do wish them a recovery cause I know this has been going on for some time, but personally I'd almost completely forgotten about it because it had been so long.
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:14 pm Reply with quote
Ack keep hittin this out of print wall!

the latest one is mushishi volume 6, luckily i found a place still claiming to have it for £7.99 so I've put in an order and i'll keep my fingers crossed i dont get one of the "oops it was actually out of stock herp-a-derp" emails.
zawa113

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:22 pm Reply with quote
@Thorn of Camorr
Viz published through volume 12 of that series, which is as far as it got in Japan before the hiatus. I think they're all pretty easy to find online

@RAmmsoldat
Ah, yes, Del Rey stuff, now that they're out and Kodansha is taking over, I except all things that they don't personally license rescue to be going out of print pretty soon. So note to anyone, now is the time to try and find Del Rey stuff before it's too late!
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:47 pm Reply with quote
yeah im flitting about all over trying to find what needs emergency purchasing.

Question to you guys, do you think its worth buying up volumes of a series and then hunting down that elusive missing volume or 2 over the years or would it be better to just not bother starting and waiting to see if the publisher does a reprint or a collected edition run?
ReaKon

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:48 pm Reply with quote
I'm personally not bothering in the hope there will eventually be a re-print. I would hate to think I had spent £40 on monster vol 3 for them to then re-print and sell for £6-7.

I could be wrong....
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 76