• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Where do you spend most of your anime [related] budget?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Polls
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Where do you spend most of your anime budget?
DVD
53%
 53%  [ 88 ]
BD
8%
 8%  [ 14 ]
Manga
23%
 23%  [ 39 ]
Novels
0%
 0%  [ 1 ]
Figures
7%
 7%  [ 13 ]
Games
2%
 2%  [ 4 ]
Others
3%
 3%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 165

Starsplash Taiwan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:04 am Reply with quote
I spend most on DVDs. Im a DVD collector and would want the box set vol version rather than the slim version. However, Im in Taiwan, so its harder to get. Im also a posterwhore to and will buy any even if I dont know it or haven't watched if it looks good.

I would buy figures, but they are to expensive.
nightjuan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:11 pm Reply with quote
DVDs followed by games would be the most accurate way to put it right now. I haven't moved on to adopting the BD format just yet. Curiously enough though, the single most expensive purchase I've ever made was a manga title, all twelve volumes of Phoenix by Osamu Tezuka, but that's more of an exception than the general rule.
arielifeoma

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:54 am Reply with quote
After reading these posts, I feel like such an amateur. I actually pay for several LEGAL streaming sites and dvd rentals (and I thought that not having cable would save me money Confused )... then I watch them for free (heck, I even pay for some of those too) on other places that I'm not too certain about. Some free places, like dramafever, claim to be legal but I'm always so confused. This is all just renting/watching the stuff though. I don't actually bother trying to keep films/shows in my house/computer/anywhere though. When I want to remember an anime, I buy the soundtrack, not the show itself, from Amazon.com, YesAsia, etc.

I don't think figurines, posters, etc are that odd. My hubby is a gamer but I like a nicely decorated home and no clutter so we display all of his stuff in nice frames and boxes on the walls and shelves. Since my house is nicely decorated otherwise, we always get nice compliments. In any case, if you think that someone would laugh at your figurine collection get this: I plan to eventually get a life sized ball jointed doll and buy several cosplay outfits for it so that I can cuddle up with my favorite characters in front of the screen.
Muggie

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 9:07 pm Reply with quote
I would have to say either manga or figures. I buy a lot of manga but I'm sure the overall cost of a lot of manga is less than the cost of a lot of figures. They're expensive at times.
lilredphoenix

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:19 pm Reply with quote
For me it would definitely be the DVD's I enjoy watching and collecting anime. I would only be interested in the manga if the anime series had a cliff hanger or just stop abruptly and I wanted to find out what happened. I am not into games or light novels and I rarely find the urge to splurge on merchandise although I have been tempted by a cute plushie or artbook from time to time.
OldCharlieStoletheHandle

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 12:53 am Reply with quote
The bulk of my spending has always been on DVDs but BDs are catching up. I'm actually hoping BD will overtake DVD in the future.

I don't buy much manga anymore; I have so much unread so I'm mostly just continuing series already started (and with Tokyopop gone two of those series are in total limbo).

After a brief binge of figure buying a few years ago I stopped, I need to get a case to display the ones I have before I think about buying more.

I have spent a good bit of money over the years on artbooks and magazines. I haven't bought any artbooks recently but I'll probably be meeting some friends in NYC at the end of July for a day of shopping that will include Kinokuniya and Book-Off.
Deadwing

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:46 am Reply with quote
Definitely DVDs. I've spend over $9000 (heh) on DVDs since 2000, compared to somewhere in the $2500 to $3000 range on manga and only about $200 at most on other stuff (mainly T-shirts, though I do own a pair of wallscrolls). I just got an HDTV last week, so I imagine that once I get a Blu-ray player I'll be spending a lot of money on BDs, though there's still a lot of shows that are still only on DVD. If I had to guess, I think that starting soon I'll probably be spending an average of 45% of my anime budget on DVD, 45% on Blu-ray, and 10% on manga.
st_owly

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:24 am Reply with quote
Definitely manga. I own over 700 volumes, compared to about 25 DVDs. Most of the stuff I like either isn't animated, not released at all in the West or released in the US but not the UK. There are very few shows I like enough to consider importing, so...
Tenbyakugon

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:58 am Reply with quote
st_owly wrote:
Definitely manga. I own over 700 volumes, compared to about 25 DVDs. Most of the stuff I like either isn't animated, not released at all in the West or released in the US but not the UK. There are very few shows I like enough to consider importing, so...

I will reach 675 myself when I obtain the sixth volume of House of Five Leaves this week, in comparison to the, like, five anime DVD's I do own. lol
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:32 pm Reply with quote
At this point it is probably anime, I don't tally Blu Ray and DVD seperately since it depends on what is available. I buy Blu Ray if available and DVD otherwise. In any case Funimations combo packs have messed up any attempt to seperate them.

It used to be manga, but the number of titles coming out has decreased in the last two years and anime is much more expensive. As of the last time I checked (in September) I had over 3500 volumes of manga. I also have several boxes of manga in comic book format, but I don't have a good count of them.

Of course, figures are so expensive now that it only takes a couple in the same month to but that as the biggest expense.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:58 pm Reply with quote
Hooray for spreadsheets making life easy!

So far this year my breakdown excluding preorders is:
DVD - 257.86
BD - 243.91 (2 Japanese imports beefed that number a bit)
Combo - 150.56
Figures - 275.65 (only four... Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop )

Including preorders that go out to September:
DVD - 257.86 (I currently have no DVDs on preorder)
BD - 616.64 (My six Ano Natsu BDs currently account for about $375 of that)
Combo - 384.50
Figures - 777.43 (was 799.26)

I have to admit that the figures number for preorders is inflated a good bit since a lot of those numbers were recorded when the dollar:yen was, like, 72:1 and it's now 83:1, so most the stuff is several dollars cheaper. It's probably closer to $780.

So yea, anime as a whole is still the majority of my purchases by a good bit, though figures are up a lot since I started last year. My DVD purchasing has shrunk a good bit, though, but that's to be expected with it being 2012 and all. I also have a very small backlog of older titles, so it's only going to keep getting smaller and eventually my DVD orders will mostly be whatever NISA or Discotek release.

EDIT: I have no life, so after adjusting all my unshipped figures to the current exchange rate I get $777.43, so I was really close. Thanks, weakening yen!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:01 am Reply with quote
I don't have a spreadsheet available, but if memory serves, 2011 saw a significant chunk of my money going to plastic pretties. 2012 is already on track to follow: over $1000 in figure purchases/pre-orders and less than $200 on DVD.

Which brings me to a new observation. Last weekend, I strolled through TRSI to take a look at any new releases (and to check on my delayed Strike Witches 2 for an update) and noticed there are no DVDs I want to own.

I'll be saving money again this year.
SereneChaos

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:03 am Reply with quote
Manga. My manga collection is nearly 10 times larger than my anime collection. That's not even counting the used volumes I've bought for dirt cheap from the library.
Sailor S

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 3:15 pm Reply with quote
It used to be DVDs hands down took up the largest chunk of my "budget", whatever one of those is. But now due in large part to cheaper DVD releases and just a shift in focus, I'm spending slightly more on figures. If we go by volume, then I buy more manga than I do anything else, but manga is a fraction of the price of a box set or figure, so I'd have to buy at least 5 times as much manga as I do other stuff, and I'm not to that point yet.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:21 pm Reply with quote
Totally on DVDs. Used to spend it occasionally on manga, but I lost interest in it years ago as I cared more for the anime end of the spectrum.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Polls All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4