• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Announcing Anime News Network UK

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yorozuya

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:03 pm Reply with quote
This pretty cool, though I hope articles like answerman will appear on this side of the site too (since it still applies), I'm really looking forward to finding out what anime is actually available in my country :]
Ryo Chan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:15 pm Reply with quote
shall be interesting to see UKA vs ANN for the uk fanbase

while i do believe AUKN has control of the uk reviews fanbase, UKA definatly seems to be the big challenge on the UK news and video content side
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:03 pm Reply with quote

Until mere seconds ago, Ryo, I was unaware that UKA listed Crunchyroll streams. Presumably, ANN can provide a service that is at least equivalent in the content it catalogues.

Yorozuya wrote:
I'm really looking forward to finding out what anime is actually available in my country :]

You're already in a position to know this quite readily. Manga, Beez and MVM usually make an effort to inform us of their releases through their websites and social media channels. One simply needs to follow a forum that keeps track of such announcements.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gage

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:05 pm Reply with quote
Congrats on the expansion! Deffinately something to stay in-tune with, keep up the good work! Smile
Takuku

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:10 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:

Until mere seconds ago, Ryo, I was unaware that UKA listed Crunchyroll streams. Presumably, ANN can provide a service that is at least equivalent in the content it catalogues.

Hopefully to include Anime Network, Youtube and Blinkbox too.

Would be nice to see a streaming area for the UK, possible partnership with Funimation to start up something?
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:36 pm Reply with quote
[Squeezes up between the floor boards]Hey! I can still smell the fresh paint. Nice to see the UK getting some respect for a change. Hell; if we can get more access to streams as well we might start thinking we are a first world country for anime and manga. Well done. Wink
egoist

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:35 pm Reply with quote
Yorozuya wrote:
This pretty cool, though I hope articles like answerman will appear on this side of the site too (since it still applies), I'm really looking forward to finding out what anime is actually available in my country :]

Perhaps Answerman is a bit too Americanized. I'm fine either way, since on the top left of the page you can switch between them easily.
Moomintroll

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:53 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
I'm fine either way, since on the top left of the page you can switch between them easily.

Well you could if the button worked - it currently points to "http://www./", which isn't very helpful.

I suspect the lack of a UK manga industry (other than Fanfare/Ponent Mon) means I'll be sticking with the US site in any case.

Edit: The button seems to work okay now.
egoist

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:00 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Well you could if the button worked - it currently points to "http://www./", which isn't very helpful.

UK one seems to be bugged if you click while browsing the forum, but it works fine as long as you're on the front page of any other ANN.
_V_

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:37 pm Reply with quote

Serious question: will Anime News Network UK cover anime news relating to the Republic of Ireland?

If so, there particularly major differences between the two markets? Or do "Manga UK", Beez, etc. also tend to distribute the same titles there at the same time?
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:29 am Reply with quote
_V_ wrote:

If so, there particularly major differences between the two markets?
No, apart from paying in Euros.
Quote:
Or do "Manga UK", Beez, etc. also tend to distribute the same titles there at the same time?
Maybe, if you buy from them direct, (again currency differences) Yes, if you buy from the available online shops. Do you have problems buying from online shops? Is there a bricks and mortar anime and manga shop in RoI? A "UK distributor" includes NI, so any UK licensed release should be available for RoI as well I would expect. I just checked Amazon.co.uk and Play.com and both ship to RoI for free, if purchase qualifies.
DonQuigleone

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:57 am Reply with quote
[quote="Mohawk52"]
_V_ wrote:

Maybe, if you buy from them direct, (again currency differences) Yes, if you buy from the available online shops. Do you have problems buying from online shops? Is there a bricks and mortar anime and manga shop in RoI? A "UK distributor" includes NI, so any UK licensed release should be available for RoI as well I would expect. I just checked Amazon.co.uk and Play.com and both ship to RoI for free, if purchase qualifies.

While it is true that you can buy DVD releases from the UK quite easily from Ireland, it may still technically be illegal to buy such DVDs in the republic, but it's not much of an excuse. It's more tricky when it comes to online streaming, which will likely become more prominent in the next few years. Simply put, most sites that already stream to the UK (like standard UK TV channels like BBC or Channel 4) do not stream to Ireland, likely due tot he presence of RTE or TV3 which often license shows from the UK. It's all a bit absurd though as you can pick up any of these channels if you put an antenna up in your back yard...

However, taking that aside, the same trend seems to be applying to Anime as well. Which on the whole means Ireland gets shafted, as why should anyone bother to license to Ireland on it's own?

Anyway the Irish anime community is growing quite well, there is one convention in Ireland (eirtakon), though there aren't many anime societies/clubs in most universities, so there's a fair possibility for growth.

Certainly the fact that 3 or 4 users apart from myself have brought RoI up means that it's not something no one cares about, and if you go purely by population, Ireland is bigger then Wales or Scotland, so is a fairly big submarket of the "British Isles" market (North Atlantic Archipelago for you Republicans!).
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:49 am Reply with quote
Just look what happens when I take a day (mostly) off the internet...

@DonQuigleone Crunchyroll specifically targetted UK and Eire as a unit. I can only hope they continue to do so now that Rob has left since he was our champion there.

This is interesting:
"Streaming Anime
Coming to the UK soon!"
animenewsnetwork.com/video/uk

(Unless they just mean embeds from Crunchyroll since, last I checked, you only get 720p on the site itself. I'd love to watch Oreimo again properly, even if I had to pay another £5)

Torsley wrote:
does this mean the co.uk server staying in europe? sometimes the com site is very slow for me. i'm from germany. =D

It is the same servers (I'm currently on Skuld - it says at the bottom of the page). You get access to the fast.animenewsnetwork.co.uk site if you subscribe.

--edit--

For anyone in the UK who is on Twitter, here's my little UK network:

http://twitter.com/shiroihane/uk-anime-companies/members
http://twitter.com/shiroihane/uk-cons
http://twitter.com/shiroihane/uk-anime-news

By no means complete, but feel free to follow or to mine for your own lists
In the case of companies it is best to follow them individually (you dont see replies to other people through lists and the signal to Jerome ratio is low also ;p) - most if the UK-specific anime news comes from here. Some of the people involved have personal twitter accounts too which I can dig out if you like. MVM is only on Facebook, and I'll get to those later.

Finally, regular peeps go here:
http://twitter.com/shiroihane/uk-anime
If you're not on here already let me know - I can't guarantee a follow but the list is all inclusive.

--edit--
Since I was doing MVM, thought I'd throw in some other official Facebook accounts too:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/MVM-Entertainment/340380373925
http://www.facebook.com/mangauk
http://www.facebook.com/beez.fb
http://www.facebook.com/pages/We-Love-Anime/182045445163590

The company sites are easy enough to find bit it is worth mentioning the Beez UK blog since the rest of the site is largely France-oriented and they have been posting news there of late:
http://www.beez-ent.com/bloguk/
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
agila61

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:56 am Reply with quote
DonQuigleone wrote:
agila61 wrote:
Fletcher1991 wrote:
lol I like how they announce this when everybody in the U.K. should be sleeping. Well I guess they can wake up to a good surprise.
Obviously figured you'd all be glued to your computers following the Irish vote, so as long as they got it up before the live RTE feed went off the air, they'd be right.

And boy is Fianna Fail getting hammered. Might only be one or two D's bigger than Sinn Fein.
Nice to see a fellow Irishmen! ...
I've no such luck, mate, I was following the election from the other side of the pond, being an economist and all. Some stylish voting system you got there, but ... it would blow the minds of American reporters if they had to try to cover that.

The only family connection to Ireland would be some Scottish famine tourists to Ulster in the late 1600's with one or more moving on to old Virginia in the early 1700's.
DonQuigleone

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:47 pm Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:
DonQuigleone wrote:
agila61 wrote:
Fletcher1991 wrote:
lol I like how they announce this when everybody in the U.K. should be sleeping. Well I guess they can wake up to a good surprise.
Obviously figured you'd all be glued to your computers following the Irish vote, so as long as they got it up before the live RTE feed went off the air, they'd be right.

And boy is Fianna Fail getting hammered. Might only be one or two D's bigger than Sinn Fein.
Nice to see a fellow Irishmen! ...
I've no such luck, mate, I was following the election from the other side of the pond, being an economist and all. Some stylish voting system you got there, but ... it would blow the minds of American reporters if they had to try to cover that.

The only family connection to Ireland would be some Scottish famine tourists to Ulster in the late 1600's with one or more moving on to old Virginia in the early 1700's.

The election system is unique, and somewhat hard to predict, there are currents of thinking of changing things around a bit at the moment, maybe towards a list system, and likely a reduction in seats elected (160 tds for a country our size? A bit big considering our size).

One positive of our system is that it eliminates wasted votes, I was able to vote Green as my first preference, and I voted labour candidates as my second. Greens didn't get through, so my ballot at least helped Labour win a seat. This means that everyone should ideally get a representative, and minority views are more present. Ireland, however, has completely different issues related to political culture, though that's rather off topic...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4