• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Gyo Horror Manga by Tomie's Junji Ito Gets Anime

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DoktorZetsubou

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:07 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if there'll be enough content to make a full TV series? I'd be content with an OVA, though.
Regardless, this is exciting news!
Shenl742

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:10 pm Reply with quote
Relentless, ASS-PLUGGIN HORROR!!! Laughing
Buster Blader 126

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:02 pm Reply with quote
Very interesting.

May be looking into this when it comes out. Haven't read the many yet.
Rukiia

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:24 pm Reply with quote
For real? Wow. Totally unexpected. That is epic considering I love horror anime/manga. I wonder if they'll do a Tomie or Uzumaki anime if Gyo is successful.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Weazul-chan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:33 pm Reply with quote
Rukiia wrote:
For real? Wow. Totally unexpected. That is epic considering I love horror anime/manga. I wonder if they'll do a Tomie or Uzumaki anime if Gyo is successful.
both of those already got live action adaptions, which actually makes me kind of surprised their going the anime rout with Gyo. I've yet to watch the Tomie movies, but I wouldn't mind seeing Uzumaki get redone, either in live action OR anime form. the Uzumaki movie felt like kind of a letdown to me.
Rukiia

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:52 pm Reply with quote
Weazul-chan wrote:
Rukiia wrote:
both of those already got live action adaptions, which actually makes me kind of surprised their going the anime rout with Gyo. I've yet to watch the Tomie movies, but I wouldn't mind seeing Uzumaki get redone, either in live action OR anime form. the Uzumaki movie felt like kind of a letdown to me.

Yes, I am aware that there are LA adaptions. I own the Tomie movies and have been meaning to get Uzumaki. However, I am hoping for an anime version of the series. We'll see how Gyo works out. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
v1cious

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:02 pm Reply with quote
This could be a really awesome OVA.
Teumessian

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:03 am Reply with quote
Maybe, to pad it out for a series, they'll animate those short stories from the end of Volume 2.

Then my Amigara Fault AMV will be realized...
Pirkaf

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:39 am Reply with quote
Weazul-chan wrote:
Rukiia wrote:

Well, it's really hard to imagine Gyo live action. If you've read the manga, you should know what I mean. And Tomie movies are really not good, the manga is thousand times better.
Jure

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:00 am Reply with quote
I'll just post what I saw on 4chan, regarding Gyo anime.

Quote:
UFOTABLE is the studio in charge.

>That's what the Chinese guy who posted it said
http://www.gaforum.org/showthread.php?p=9026537

>The posters in the ufotable general on 2ch also confirmed it
http://yuzuru.2ch.net/test/read.cgi/iga/1293197046/l50

If this is true, than this will be a great year.
Weazul-chan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:21 pm Reply with quote
Pirkaf wrote:
Weazul-chan wrote:
Rukiia wrote:

Well, it's really hard to imagine Gyo live action. If you've read the manga, you should know what I mean. And Tomie movies are really not good, the manga is thousand times better.
well, I had a hard time at first imagining some of the stuff from Uzumaki in live action (some of what they adapted did work better than others), and it's arguable with the right people in charge of the special effects a live action Gyo could work, depending on how faithful they stay to some of the events.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1