• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: U.S. Man Sues Over Toei's Knights of the Zodiac/St. Seiya

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Otaku_X

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:53 am Reply with quote
Zodiac Knights 2000 Featuring Creatures of the Knights: Creatures of the Knights (A New Era)
That title's long enough to be Japanese...
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:55 am Reply with quote
Let me get this straight: these guys are claiming that because in 1995 they came up with a title similar to a series that ran from 1986-1990, the earlier series somehow infringed on their copyright?

Uh.... I'm not legal scholar, so can somebody else answer me this: huh?
Shenl742

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:57 am Reply with quote
Wow, this sounds really...dumb.

I'm kind of reminded by this, in fact
Quark

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:58 am Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
Let me get this straight: these guys are claiming that because in 1995 they came up with a title similar to a series that ran from 1986-1990, the earlier series somehow infringed on their copyright?

Uh.... I'm not legal scholar, so can somebody else answer me this: huh?

Okay, I'm glad I wasn't the only one confused by this. In fact, it seems more likely that they watched, or saw a drawing of Saint Seiya, thought "Hey this is pretty cool!", did a derivitive drawing, figured they could cash in on said drawing, and then figured that Toei must have somehow ripped them off.
The only thing I can think of is that their copyright and trademark name is similar, but...well, it's not the same.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:03 am Reply with quote
Wait, these guys are suing Toei for what was ultimately a failed anime franchise in the U.S. that nobody cared for? They're wasting their legal fees and their time with this suit.
Josh7289

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:04 am Reply with quote
Absolutely shameless, this Potter guy.
Vicserr

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:04 am Reply with quote
The thing is that KOTZ has been associated with the franchise in other territories since the late 80s, early 90s so those guys are out of their rocker.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
Vicserr

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:10 am Reply with quote
KabaKabaFruit wrote:
Wait, these guys are suing Toei for what was ultimately a failed anime franchise in the U.S. that nobody cared for? They're wasting their legal fees and their time with this suit.

in the US, Saint Seiya in a hit and beloved in the rest of the world, I guess they want a piece of that pie
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
s.alsa-man1991

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:22 am Reply with quote
Copyright trolls are the dumbest and laziest people to ever step into a courthouse.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:27 am Reply with quote
Vicserr wrote:
in the US, Saint Seiya in a hit and beloved in the rest of the world, I guess they want a piece of that pie

Saint Seiya released by ADV was a hit, but Knights of the Zodiac released by DiC wasn't. I was referring specifically to KOTZ in my previous post. That franchise bombed. For anyone to now sue over what was a failed franchise is doing nothing more than kicking the mule while it's down.
SaiyanHero16

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:36 am Reply with quote
I hope the judge laughs this guy out of the courthouse
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
John Casey

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:46 am Reply with quote
So....um, how does this work? These guys are filing a suit for work that...came out before theirs, which was registered before theirs, that somehow infringes on their later registration...? Next: ...They can't even hire a godamn bloodsucker of a lawyer? That certainly says a lot. Next: ...They want 1 billion dollars in damages? ...Wut?

(Reading this article gave me BRAIN DAMAGE. Can't I now sue these jackasses for 1 billion dollars too on account of "damages"?)

...Huh. You know, this reminds me a lot. They're trolls. They have a lot in common with this guy...

They ought to hang out more. Start scheming on who to sue next for copyright infringement.
Chronomeister

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:05 am Reply with quote
John Casey wrote:
...They want 1 billion dollars in damages? ...Wut?

My thoughts exactly. Although maybe if he did a more reasonable amount this wouldn't have been noticed and nobody would care about his works? Free publicity?
Sanosuke_Inara

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:09 am Reply with quote
John Casey wrote:
...They want 1 billion dollars in damages? ...Wut?
Don't forget the additional statutory damages! Laughing
CaptainAvatar

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:23 am Reply with quote
I don't think this has a prayer and should be thrown out of court - however, just remember the woman who bought coffee at McDonalds - she put it between her legs in her car while driving and took the top off the cup. She of course spilled and got burned. She promptly sued McDonalds and won - thus proving that anything is possible in a lawsuit.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7