• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - The Last Unicorn

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
neocloud9

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:32 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
My Little Pony fans might (like myself) be wondering at this point if “unicorn” is just some kind of a codeword, or if unicorns appear in this show.

MY LITTLE PONY, REPRESENT. *fistbump*

(Though, to be perfectly honest, I'm more of a pegasus fan...)
egoist

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:46 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
First, far too much screen time is devoted to discussing the main character's breast size.

Indeed. They should have focused on Aria's breasts too.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:00 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
Quote:
First, far too much screen time is devoted to discussing the main character's breast size.

Indeed. They should have focused on Aria's breasts too.

Alas, there's never enough time! Laughing

Murder She wrote:

... has to be “pure” in order to be true masturbatory material.

Does that apply to otaku boys and otaku girls? Laughing
pajmo9

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:25 pm Reply with quote
I've been really enjoying Unicorn so far. It started of strong and the second volume is even better then the first. I can't wait till the 3rd volume comes out.

Its definitely beneficial to have see the rest of the UC universe up till Unicorn but I think the shows entertaining enough that not getting some of the references won't hinder your viewing pleasure.

I also appreciate the simultaneous release. The English dub is excellent.
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:27 pm Reply with quote
I want to get Gundam Unicorn, since I do have a huge Gundam collection. However I am thinking about waiting for the series to come out in a set before I go and get it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
reanimator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:42 pm Reply with quote
Being a single male in his 30's, I found Josei genre to be very interesting. I couldn't get enough of Moyoco Anno's and Erika Sakurazaw's works. I guess the young demographic, which makes up majority of current anime fandom, makes Josei genre less popular. I wish that more non-fan adults discover this genre.

To me, Princess Jellyfish's comedic situations feel more grounded to the real world. It's one of my favorite shows and I was hoping for more...Some scenes are so memorable.

Gundam UC was awesome in visuals. Only other Gundam franchise that impressed me was Gundam 0083. I really liked the UC because it has that refreshing feeling similar to recent Star Trek movie. I was totally impressed by the people behind the show too. Kazuhiro Furuhashi, who directed Ruroni Kenshin and You're under arrest, is handling the direction. He is one of few outsiders brought into Sunrise studio to rejuvenate the franchise and I think he is doing wonderful job.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:15 pm Reply with quote
One error in the review, Lisa does not spoiler[have a crush for Luke, but for Aria, the demonsword]
Melanchthon

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:25 pm Reply with quote
Now I've come out attacked Princess Jellyfish before, but don't get me wrong, this show is stream worthy. I'd even voice the claim that it would be shelf worthy, in the eventually it is released stateside. But I would not call it a good show. It is one-third of a good show, and I think that too much is sacrificed to cram it into 11 episodes. I wanted to love it, but it never came together and the end was a bit of a slap in the face, I thought. But Princess Jellyfish is still worth a view.

Sacred Blacksmith, on the other hand, I am currently in the middle of watching (I bought Funi's release in one my rare blind buys). It was a surprisingly good show for the first few episodes, until the bastard princess showed up. Before she appeared, the show was chugging along a nice pace, with demons and monsters and shadowy evil dudes, and then bam! it was one of those crash test dummy hitting a wall at 120 mph. The show just slammed to a stop and idled there. I've gotten as far as the seventh episode, but this collision was just to much for me and I got distracted and started watching Oh Edo Rocket instead, and now I'm hooked on that show to the point that Blacksmith is gathering dust. It's like the producers said, 'Oh Expletive Deleted, we've got to make money off this show somehow' and decided to suddenly cram in a bunch of sidebar moeblob characters and tropes in the middle of an action/romance story, which served only to distract from the actual plot.
grooven

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:36 pm Reply with quote
neocloud9 wrote:
Quote:
My Little Pony fans might (like myself) be wondering at this point if “unicorn” is just some kind of a codeword, or if unicorns appear in this show.

MY LITTLE PONY, REPRESENT. *fistbump*

(Though, to be perfectly honest, I'm more of a pegasus fan...)

I collect them ^-^ any other collectors around?
sepherest

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:51 pm Reply with quote
Melanchthon wrote:
Now I've come out attacked Princess Jellyfish before, but don't get me wrong, this show is stream worthy. I'd even voice the claim that it would be shelf worthy, in the eventually it is released stateside. But I would not call it a good show. It is one-third of a good show, and I think that too much is sacrificed to cram it into 11 episodes. I wanted to love it, but it never came together and the end was a bit of a slap in the face, I thought. But Princess Jellyfish is still worth a view.

I have to agree. They picked an awkward amount of the original material to squish into the number of episodes it had, and with no sign of a second season by the end it was kind of "meh."

I didn't hate it or anything, but the manga's so much better...
maaya

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:27 pm Reply with quote
Concerning Blacksmith

Melanchthon wrote:
Sacred Blacksmith (...) was a surprisingly good show for the first few episodes, until (...) The show just slammed to a stop and idled there.

Quote:
Frankly I'd like to see a re-cut of this show with the ridiculous elements removed and the cool stuff left in.

Try the manga or novel ^^

Concerning Princess Jellyfish

Sepherest wrote:
I didn't hate it or anything, but the manga's so much better...

That's almost always the case. Among all the anime adaptions that only cover a small part of their manga originals (and therefore will never tell a complete story), Princess Jellyfish is imho among the better ones.
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:47 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
If you cross-bred Genshiken with Paradise Kiss, you might get this show.

Hmm, from what I've read of both that's a pretty good comparison actually, think I'll have to use it later. Anime hyper

As for The Scared Blacksmith, I have a little review blog and review pretty much everything I watch. However I just remembered that I saw this series about a month ago and completely forgot about it so I guess that says something about the show, it just didn't do anything that cool for me.
agila61

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:06 pm Reply with quote
Loved Princess Jellyfish, which I finally caught up with when I found out how to get Youtube/Funimation on the Roku box.

I'm in fits and starts going through the original Gundam (in dub, but BCBC), and don't know what the most effective way of getting from there to Unicorn, but I assume when I finish the original, I'll play series hopscotch based on availability and reviews.
Bingal

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:08 pm Reply with quote
The Sacred Blacksmith....

What a huge pile of disappointment right after Michiko to Hatchin. With MANGLOBE you'd expect something not so utterly generic and clichéd.
BeanBandit

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:15 pm Reply with quote
Yeah Gundam Unicron is an amazing show and very much worth the high price of admission.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7